Air America breaking news: "USA to fingerprint ALL visitors !!!"

Old April 3rd 04, 03:29 PM
AJC

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 07:55:44 -0600, "Quantum Foam Guy"
wrote:

"Oelewapper" wrote in message
Dear allies, welcome to the age of digital fascism... :

This is not "fascism", unless you're one of those morons who thinks dealing
with the DMV and getting fingerprinted for a driver's license is "fascism".

Having finger-prints taken for a driving licence? Maybe in Cuba, the
former DDR, or some other 'big brother' regime, but certainly not in
any free country. Finger-printing is for criminals.

--==++AJC++==--
Old April 3rd 04, 03:30 PM
AJC

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 13:57:38 GMT, Chad Irby wrote:

In article ,
"nobody760" wrote:

So the message is visiting the USA is more trouble than its worth so I'll go
some place else.

Yeah, that two minute fingerprinting and photo is *sooo* hard after a
six-hour plane flight...

...and even with that, it's still going to be faster than most customs
checks in 99% of the countries in the world.

You don't get out very much do you?
--==++AJC++==--
Old April 3rd 04, 03:38 PM
Lennart Petersen

"Chad Irby" skrev i meddelandet
. com...
In article ,
"nobody760" wrote:

So the message is visiting the USA is more trouble than its worth so

I'll go
some place else.

Yeah, that two minute fingerprinting and photo is *sooo* hard after a
six-hour plane flight...

...and even with that, it's still going to be faster than most customs
checks in 99% of the countries in the world.

99% ? Interesting. I transferred recently in 6 minutes from International
to domestic including security check. Was in Sandefjord Norway.
How many transfers international-domestic are done in less 6 minutes in U.S
?

Old April 3rd 04, 03:44 PM
Sjoerd

"Lennart Petersen" schreef in bericht
99% ? Interesting. I transferred recently in 6 minutes from

International
to domestic including security check. Was in Sandefjord Norway.
How many transfers international-domestic are done in less 6 minutes in

U.S

In the last two weeks I entered:

Hong Kong wait at immigration about 2 minutes
Vietnam wait at immigration about 1 minute
Thailand wait at immigration about 3 minutes
Malaysia wait at immigration about 10 minutes
Vietnam wait at immigration about 10 minutes
Hong Kong wait at immigration about 1 minute
Mongolia got a visa on arrival which had to be processed wait at immigration
about 25 minutes
China wait at immigration about 5 minutes

My trips to the US wait at immigration has never been less than 10 minutes
and several times an hour or more.

Sjoerd

Old April 3rd 04, 03:46 PM
James Robinson

Quantum Foam Guy wrote:

Oelewapper wrote:

Dear allies, welcome to the age of digital fascism... :

This is not "fascism", unless you're one of those morons who thinks dealing
with the DMV and getting fingerprinted for a driver's license is "fascism".

I do consider it fascism. I also have never had my fingerprints taken
for a driver's license in the US.

When you lace your writing with such stupid hyperbole, you've lost your
credibility.

If you can't see creeping totalitarianism, then you must be part of the
problem.

You're also mistaken if you think this will be limited to the US. Wealthy
democracies will all be implementing these very same procedures. If you
doubt me, wait and see what happens after the next round of terrorist
attacks.

Not so. Just look at Europe with is about to go to court to prevent
airlines from passing passenger information to the US TSA as a violation
of European privacy laws. They seem to take privacy much more seriously
than the US, even though there have been many more terrorist attacks in
their home countries. They don't see the need to give up their rights
like the supposedly "free" USA to tackle terrorism.
Old April 3rd 04, 04:04 PM
Brian

"AJC" wrote in message
Having finger-prints taken for a driving licence? Maybe in Cuba, the
former DDR, or some other 'big brother' regime, but certainly not in
any free country. Finger-printing is for criminals.

So how can we identify a person other than fingerprints? Passports, DLs, and
every other form of ID have been no problem to duplicate for terrorists.

Old April 3rd 04, 04:08 PM
Pete

...and even with that, it's still going to be faster than most customs
checks in 99% of the countries in the world.

When I arrive at JFK, I often wait 10-30 minutes in line, and I am a
USA citizen. The other lines are worse, and this is without the finger-
printing and photographing. I contrast that to countries like Finland,
Sweden, Austria, and Switzerland, where I breeze by passport control
hardly slowing down. I am sure this is the same for Denmark, Norway,
Iceland, and many other European countries. Your 99% must exclude
Europe, right?

Pete

Old April 3rd 04, 04:31 PM
Peter Stickney

In article ,
"Brian" writes:

"AJC" wrote in message
Having finger-prints taken for a driving licence? Maybe in Cuba, the
former DDR, or some other 'big brother' regime, but certainly not in
any free country. Finger-printing is for criminals.

So how can we identify a person other than fingerprints? Passports, DLs, and
every other form of ID have been no problem to duplicate for terrorists.

Fingerprints aren't reliable, either. It seems that a number of agents
of the former Iraqi regime, and Al-Queda agents as well, have been
found travelling under Kuwaiti papers, with the appropriate
fingerprints on file. It seems that when Iraq took Kuwait in 1990,
Saddam's intel folks took the opportunity to plant some sleeper IDs,
and they've been renting them out.

--
Pete Stickney
bad measures. -- Daniel Webster
Old April 3rd 04, 04:39 PM
AJC

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 14:46:54 GMT, James Robinson
wrote:

Quantum Foam Guy wrote:

Oelewapper wrote:

[...]

Exactly. The UK, Spain and other democracies have lived with terrorism
for many years. It is not always easy but it is important to keep a
balance between security and liberty. If you end up turning a country
in to a police state out of fear of terrorism, then the terrorists
have won.
--==++AJC++==--
Old April 3rd 04, 04:42 PM
AJC

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 15:08:54 GMT, "Pete"
wrote:

...and even with that, it's still going to be faster than most customs
checks in 99% of the countries in the world.

When I arrive at JFK, I often wait 10-30 minutes in line, and I am a
USA citizen. The other lines are worse, and this is without the finger-
printing and photographing. I contrast that to countries like Finland,
Sweden, Austria, and Switzerland, where I breeze by passport control
hardly slowing down. I am sure this is the same for Denmark, Norway,
Iceland, and many other European countries. Your 99% must exclude
Europe, right?

His 99% would exclude much of Asia as well. I would imagine it was the
first number that came in to his head rather than based on any actual
experience.