Tail Skid Help / Advice

Old January 2nd 04, 12:50 PM
Ray Lovinggood

Default Tail Skid Help / Advice

Would anyone please provide advice on how to fix a
tail skid problem?

My LS-1d has a rubber tail skid with a hard plastic
wheel. The skid tends to 'creep' around the fuselage
boom sufficiently enough to cause the glider to not
track straight on a paved runway. For takeoffs, I'll
point the glider's nose several degrees to the left
which compensates for the crooked tail skid that makes
the glider want to go right.

Yes, I have removed and reglued the skid a couple fo
times, using contact cement, but it still 'creeps'
over time. I suppose it can 'creep' when the glider
is sitting on the ground with one wing down and possibly
while in the trailer and resting on the tail skid.
(It is an old and ugly home-built trailer that doesn't
coddle it's baby like a nice new Cobra or Komet.)

The concave surface of the skid, which mates to the
convex surface of the tail boom, is all 'chewed up'
and I presume there probably isn't much surface in
contact with the fuselage boom. How and why it is
chewed up, I can only guess. It might have been sheared
off many times in its life and bits and pieces of the
rubber were torn from the skid. That's my guess.

What can be done?

Can the skid somehow be repaired? If so, how?

Or, should I just buy a new skid? I'm sure they are
a dime a dozen ;-)

Thanks,
Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA
LS-1d, 'W8'

Old January 2nd 04, 01:51 PM
Sf760

In addition to the glue, tape it in place with aileron tape.
Old January 2nd 04, 02:07 PM
Ray Lovinggood

At 14:06 02 January 2004, Sf760 wrote:
In addition to the glue, tape it in place with aileron
tape.

I forgot to mention that I do add tape around the joint.
I can't tell you right now if the tape there is the
3M electrical tape I use for the wing joints or something
else. I have used a cloth-tape before, but I forgot
what is was and where I got it.

Old January 2nd 04, 08:16 PM
Sf760

Tesa do a 38mm wide fabric tape, I'd have thought Wings and Wheels would stock
it.

Tail flapper failure Veeduber Home Built 2 May 22nd 04 06:52 AM
AH64 tail rotor CivetOne Rotorcraft 3 October 23rd 03 07:18 PM
Oshkosh Get together Roster - Sign in, please! Bruce E. Butts Owning 1 July 26th 03 11:34 AM
Oshkosh Get together Roster - Sign in, please! Bruce E. Butts Piloting 1 July 26th 03 11:34 AM
The prone postion for tail gunners versus turrets. The Enlightenment Military Aviation 8 July 22nd 03 11:01 PM