WWGC.

Old January 18th 20, 06:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

Default WWGC.

On Saturday, January 18, 2020 at 7:34:08 AM UTC-6, Tango Eight wrote:
On Friday, January 17, 2020 at 8:56:23 PM UTC-5, Tom BravoMike wrote:

So the solution is... to stop fighting it. Make the teams on the ground be part of the 'team flying'

That's what's been going on for the last decade. Check around. There's much history here. The technology arms race led to a ground controlled sport that many find unsatisfying. IGC now trying to find the way back to a more individual sport. Rules enforcement, as we observe, is problematic.

T8

Somehow nobody objects to 'ground controlled' world records - see the Perlan project. And it is a sort of an ongoing world competition - with great expenses involved. Just a thought..
Old January 18th 20, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, January 18, 2020 at 1:50:37 PM UTC-5, Tom BravoMike wrote:
On Saturday, January 18, 2020 at 7:34:08 AM UTC-6, Tango Eight wrote:
On Friday, January 17, 2020 at 8:56:23 PM UTC-5, Tom BravoMike wrote:

So the solution is... to stop fighting it. Make the teams on the ground be part of the 'team flying'

That's what's been going on for the last decade. Check around. There's much history here. The technology arms race led to a ground controlled sport that many find unsatisfying. IGC now trying to find the way back to a more individual sport. Rules enforcement, as we observe, is problematic.

T8

Somehow nobody objects to 'ground controlled' world records - see the Perlan project. And it is a sort of an ongoing world competition - with great expenses involved. Just a thought..

How about air controlled?
I understand one altitude record was set using the owners jet to scout the lift areas.
That said, I think record flying is much different than competition in this respect.
UH
Old January 18th 20, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, January 18, 2020 at 10:50:37 AM UTC-8, Tom BravoMike wrote:
On Saturday, January 18, 2020 at 7:34:08 AM UTC-6, Tango Eight wrote:
On Friday, January 17, 2020 at 8:56:23 PM UTC-5, Tom BravoMike wrote:

So the solution is... to stop fighting it. Make the teams on the ground be part of the 'team flying'

That's what's been going on for the last decade. Check around. There's much history here. The technology arms race led to a ground controlled sport that many find unsatisfying. IGC now trying to find the way back to a more individual sport. Rules enforcement, as we observe, is problematic.

T8

Somehow nobody objects to 'ground controlled' world records - see the Perlan project. And it is a sort of an ongoing world competition - with great expenses involved. Just a thought..

The difference is not the level of technology or expense being used, it is the level of deception between one competitor and the next.
Old January 18th 20, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Sat, 18 Jan 2020 10:50:34 -0800, Tom BravoMike wrote:

Somehow nobody objects to 'ground controlled' world records - see the
Perlan project. And it is a sort of an ongoing world competition - with
great expenses involved. Just a thought..

Record setting is a totally different game. No technology is ruled out
and it can be individual or a group effort.

I was surprised to see how high Perlan 2 was being towed since they got
use of the Grob towplane, so looked at the rules for the absolute gliding
altitude record. It turns out you can tow as high as you like and the
flight counts as a record provided the glider climbs at least another
5000m (16350 ft) after release.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old January 19th 20, 03:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mart mart is offline
Junior Member

So,Australia got 'caught' using freely availible live tracking information from the web. Nobody knows who else was using it, it was just a few clicks away. It is always more likely an English speaking country gets caught since most people know what they are saying.

Does it mean that anybody that has ever used live tracking through which ever legal way gets penalised? Setting up flarm receivers would definitely be illegal. I wonder how many comps will have different winners in retrospect..
Old January 19th 20, 03:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

At 23:58 18 January 2020, Martin Gregorie wrote:
[...]

Jim Payne has said that on some days where the stratospheric wave
is working to high altitudes, the lower tropospheric waves are not
working so well. To have to use lots of precious battery life and
oxygen to muddle up through the lower wave system detracted
from the time that they could use to focus on the high altitude
objectives, so they got a tow plane that could reliably get them to
the bottom of the stratospheric system without a hassle. The
additional 5000 meter gain turned out not to be an issue with the
heights they were able to achieve. That whole program is way out
our normal frame of reference and comprehension.

RO

Old January 19th 20, 03:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Quebec

Big difference, the OGN tracking cannot identify gliders if they have flarm in stealth mode. The official tracking was ONLY publicly available via the 15 minute delay, someone found or knew of a backdrop and used it. I’m disgusted team management did this.
Old January 19th 20, 06:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul B[_2_]

"I’m disgusted team management did this."

Charlie Quebec, your form is slipping, not blaming Trump, or those who voted for him?

Old January 19th 20, 08:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RC[_2_]

On Friday, January 17, 2020 at 4:52:48 PM UTC+11, JS wrote:
On Thursday, January 16, 2020 at 7:21:51 PM UTC-8, Charlie Quebec wrote:
Interesting news, the entire Australian team has been penalised for unsporting behaviour on the last day.. A protest is currently being heard.
The bun fight at the Keepit corral.

It's been a supreme "vibe slayer" at the comp. Nobody I've spoken with likes it.
I feel bad for the team pilots, espeially Jo Davis. She flew a fantastic comp.
Team management gets what they ask for. Too bad the pilots pay.
Jim

Old January 19th 20, 08:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Quebec

Trumps got enough trouble as it is, poor demented old man.

Pre- WWGC and Australian Club and Standard Class Nationals JS[_5_] Soaring 3 January 9th 19 10:53 AM
WWGC Duster Soaring 14 June 3rd 17 04:17 PM
Podium Finish for Sarah at WWGC!! Linwood Stevenson Soaring 6 July 15th 13 01:56 PM
2013 WWGC .... Ron Gleason Soaring 9 July 12th 13 09:51 PM
Few impressions from WWGC 2009 Szeged (HUN) db Soaring 1 August 4th 09 03:01 PM