cost to install engine analyzer (4 cyl)?

Old September 29th 06, 06:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
dlevy[_1_]

Default cost to install engine analyzer (4 cyl)?

Anyone had a 4 cylinder engine analyzer installed lately? I'm thinking
about an EDM-700 on a Lycoming O-320-E2C in a Beech Musketeer and was
wondering about install costs.

Old September 29th 06, 07:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
B A R R Y[_1_]

dlevy wrote:
Anyone had a 4 cylinder engine analyzer installed lately? I'm thinking
about an EDM-700 on a Lycoming O-320-E2C in a Beech Musketeer and was
wondering about install costs.

If you hear off-forum, please post it here.

I'm curious, as mine might be similar, an O-360 in a Sundowner.

Thanks!
Old September 29th 06, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Noel

In article ,
B A R R Y wrote:

dlevy wrote:
Anyone had a 4 cylinder engine analyzer installed lately? I'm thinking
about an EDM-700 on a Lycoming O-320-E2C in a Beech Musketeer and was
wondering about install costs.

If you hear off-forum, please post it here.

I'm curious, as mine might be similar, an O-360 in a Sundowner.

Thanks!

fwiw - a number of years ago an avionics shop charged me about 16 hours of
labor to install in my cherokee 140.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old September 30th 06, 12:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Blanche Cohen

contact either EI or JPI, they can provide reasonable estimates for
labor time. this assumes, of course, that the person(s) doing the
installation are not using your aircraft as a learning experience.
Once you have the estimated hours, X $your shop cost = somewhat of
a reasonable $$ dollar estimate.

Also, check with a couple, three shops in your area (if there are
that many) for their estimate and familiarity with installing
an engine analyzer.

Old September 30th 06, 12:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Blanche Cohen

Earlier this summer I was seriously considering an EI analyzer and asked
for more details. Here's the answer along with an estimate of labor
hours:

-----------------------------
1. In regards to the UBG-16, the long-term memory of the "Normalized" mode
can be used without the MUX-8A data recorder if you choose to. The
"Normalized" mode is the mode in which you can graphically compare current
operating temps derived from the Lean mode with previous temperatures at the
same configuration. This is extremely useful in identifying trending
temperatures. If a CHT or EGT start to drift from what they were prior you
will immediately spot it and hopefully avoid serious engine damage. The
MUX-8A is an 8 channel "black box" that outputs to a PC or laptop. I feel it
is a worth while install, it's quick, included in the packages, and its
extremely useful.

2. UBG-16 is roughly going to take 4-10 hours, possibly slightly more, for a
typical four cylinder. Installer experience and aircraft specific
challenges are going to be the biggest factor here.

3. Part# UBG-16-4 MEM includes 4-EGT Probes, 4-CHT Probes, Extension
thermocouples, and the MUX-8A data recorder. ( You get a free oil, carb, or
OAT probe as well as a rebate!)

4. Part# FM-FLOW can be ordered free as part of the UBG-16 rebate as well as
the free probe. This will report gal. p/hr. on the UBG-16. If you would
prefer a totalizer instrument with GPS interaction the FP-5L can be
purchased as a rebate for $269.00 (normally $778.00)

5. The UBG-16 is configurable to compliment your existing panel. The unit
is designed to accept up to 16 inputs of your choosing. Or you can simply
run just EGT/CHT on it. It is completely up to you. I see a lot of people
adding RPM, volts/amps, and fuel or oil pressure. The indication on older
equipment just isn't as reliable as what is available today. Plus, any
function you choose to add to the UBG-16 will output to the MUX-8A recorder.
----------------------
Installation would be in an O-360 in a cherokee. Hope this helps.

4-10 hours @ $50-70/hr becomes $200-700 for the install.

Old September 30th 06, 01:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ray Andraka

Bob Noel wrote:

In article ,
B A R R Y wrote:

dlevy wrote:

Anyone had a 4 cylinder engine analyzer installed lately? I'm thinking
about an EDM-700 on a Lycoming O-320-E2C in a Beech Musketeer and was
wondering about install costs.

If you hear off-forum, please post it here.

I'm curious, as mine might be similar, an O-360 in a Sundowner.

Thanks!

fwiw - a number of years ago an avionics shop charged me about 16 hours of
labor to install in my cherokee 140.

It took me about 20 hours to install an EDM-700 with EGT,CHT,oil temp,
and carb temp probes on my Cherokee Six. It isn't hard work, just very
time consuming. If you are at all handy, I'd suggest you find a
mechanic that will let you do the install under his supervision. You'll
get it in the way you want it, learn stuff about your plane and save
some money (well if you don't count the value of your time anyway).
Old September 30th 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ray Andraka

Ray Andraka wrote:

It took me about 20 hours to install an EDM-700 with EGT,CHT,oil temp,
and carb temp probes on my Cherokee Six. It isn't hard work, just very
time consuming. If you are at all handy, I'd suggest you find a
mechanic that will let you do the install under his supervision. You'll
get it in the way you want it, learn stuff about your plane and save
some money (well if you don't count the value of your time anyway).

I should add, that 20 hours included the time to remove the existing
single cylinder EGT, move the clock, move the autopilot switches and 2
circuit breakers, cut the panel and make a 2-1/4 instrument overlay, and
fabricate and install and wire a new subpanel for the relocated circuit
breakers plus the new one for the monitor. My EDM-700 is installed
where the spare fuses once were, which were replaced by the switches and
breakers when the AP and strikefinder were installed. Without that
panel work, it would probably have been about 12 hours to pull all the
wires, install the sensors, add the circuit breaker and connect it all up.
Old September 30th 06, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
houstondan

i've talked it over with my avionics shop and my general a&p and i'm
budgeting about $3000 turn-key with gas totalizer. that's 6 cylinders.

dan

Old September 30th 06, 01:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Denny

On a low compression, low horsepower, carbureted engine, a fancy
analyzer is only going to waste your money and make you frustrated...

denny