Lockheed Lancer?

Old January 4th 04, 07:02 PM
Brendan Grace

Default Lockheed Lancer?

Does anyone have any links or info on the Lockheed effort back in the 70s
for competition with the YF-16 and YF-17? It was
a derivative of the F-104 but I don't know what happened to the program or
even if a mock up was built.

Old January 4th 04, 08:18 PM
Bjørnar Bolsøy

"Brendan Grace" wrote in
:

Does anyone have any links or info on the Lockheed effort back
in the 70s for competition with the YF-16 and YF-17? It was
a derivative of the F-104 but I don't know what happened to the
program or even if a mock up was built.

Google never lets us down.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
&q=lockheed+lancer

Regards...
Old January 4th 04, 08:55 PM
Brendan Grace

"Bjørnar Bolsøy" wrote in message
"Brendan Grace" wrote in
:

Does anyone have any links or info on the Lockheed effort back
in the 70s for competition with the YF-16 and YF-17? It was
a derivative of the F-104 but I don't know what happened to the
program or even if a mock up was built.

Google never lets us down.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
&q=lockheed+lancer

Regards...

Actually Google does let us down. Note that none of the links supplied give
much information or any pictures.

Regards to you too...

Old January 4th 04, 09:09 PM
Brett

"Brendan Grace" wrote:

"Bjørnar Bolsøy" wrote in message
"Brendan Grace" wrote in
:

Does anyone have any links or info on the Lockheed effort back
in the 70s for competition with the YF-16 and YF-17? It was
a derivative of the F-104 but I don't know what happened to the
program or even if a mock up was built.

Google never lets us down.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
&q=lockheed+lancer

Regards...

Actually Google does let us down. Note that none of the links supplied

give
much information or any pictures.

Regards to you too...

You could try finding a copy of "The X-Planes X-1 to X-nn", Jay Miller (the
value of nn depends on the edition you find). The Lockheed X-27 Lancer
coverage includes pictures of the mock-up and a reasonable history of the
program.

Old January 4th 04, 09:18 PM
Steve Jahn

and found this too.
Steve
http://members.home.nl/noor.luijkx/northam/lancer.htm

Old January 4th 04, 09:22 PM
Steve Jahn

There was a mock-up made. It was then modified into the X-27.If you can get
ahold of the Jay Miller "X-Planes book, it has a lot of info on it.
Steve

Old January 4th 04, 09:28 PM
Scott Ferrin

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 19:02:19 GMT, "Brendan Grace"
wrote:

Does anyone have any links or info on the Lockheed effort back in the 70s
for competition with the YF-16 and YF-17? It was
a derivative of the F-104 but I don't know what happened to the program or
even if a mock up was built.

Actually IIRC the design that was put forward in that competition was
the CL-1600. According to a *Boeing* engineer the Lockheed design
should have beat out both the F-16 and F-17. Obviously he's biased
somewhat but the reason Kelly Johnson put forth for them losing was
that the CL-1600 was better than the *F-15* and the USAF didn't want
anything jepordizing the program. Kindof like if one of the JSF
contenders had been better than the F-22. There was also speculation
that Kelly Johnson had essentially been blackballed. Anyway the
relevant info is in Jay Miller's "Skunk Works" 2nd Edition.
Old January 4th 04, 10:00 PM
Brendan Grace

Thanks for the reading tips all. Amazon time for book hunting!

Old January 4th 04, 10:23 PM
nemo l'ancien

Some info at
http://users.dbscorp.net/jmustain/x27.htm
regards

Old January 4th 04, 11:38 PM
Brendan Grace

Outstanding, just what I've been searching for, cheers!