So Whudj'all get for Christmas?

Old December 29th 07, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Default So Whudj'all get for Christmas?

I'll be waiting for the "long-term PIREPs" with baited breath.

That might be detrimental to your health ;-)

Ahem. Right. Obviously that should be "with bated breath".

Dang chell specker...

;-)

Broken Lightspeeds -- I *did* receive an off-group email from a
former frequent poster who recently bought the Zulu -- and had it go
Tango-Uniform on him within a week (bad ANR). As always, Lightspeed's
customer service was marvelous, and they replaced it instantly -- but
it's kinda scary that this would happen to their flagship model.

I'm willing to write it off to "new model difficulties" until I hear
of more troubles, however.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old December 29th 07, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Thomas Borchert

Jay,

but
it's kinda scary that this would happen to their flagship model.

Considering the amount of people on here and the likelyhood that
someone with problems will speak up is so much higher than someone
being satisfied, you'll get a bias towards problems online.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old December 29th 07, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Whiting

Jay Honeck wrote:
For the plane, of course... ;-)

It was a year for tools, for me. Mary gave me a way cool mini-tool
kit, in a quality carrying case that folds down into a neat 8" x 12"
package. It's full of screwdrivers, wrenches, pliers, a hammer --
all the stuff you might need in a pinch. Along with my socket set,
we'll have everything we might need on board for an emergency
repair...

For the hangar I got a nice rolling tool box, with locking drawers and
plenty of storage capacity. Our hangar workbench has slowly grown
into a mess over the years, and this will help to organize everything.

Was Santa good to you? Get any cool gadgets?

A 1 HP air compressor and Gann's "Fate is the Hunter." I just finished
reading the book and must admit that after reading all of the hype about
it over the years, I was underwhelmed. It had some interesting stories
about the pioneering days of air transport, but I found the writing
style hard to read and follow at times and the book left out a lot of
information or made you run to the end notes to find things. Why
couldn't he just say he flew for American and then later Matson rather
than saying it was an "airline founded by a steamship company" and leave
you to go figure out who it was? Or what is so hard about including the
two actresses names in the text rather than at the end of the book in
the notes section?

Not a bad book, but definitely didn't live up to my expectations.

Matt
Old December 30th 07, 02:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Roger (K8RI)

On 28 Dec 2007 06:13:18 GMT, Blanche wrote:

New bathroom sink to replace the rusted, cast iron sink 25+ years old
and fixture.
New kitchen sink to replace worn cast iron sink 25+ years old,
fixture and disposal.
New hot water heater (replacement for 16 year old unit) on order,
probably installed sometime next week.

Oh - you meant for the putt-putt? A new battery. Exciting, right?

Hey! They completed the annual on the Deb for me. :-)) Albeit a tad
rich this year as there were a number of things that needed to be
fixed, most of which were due to not flying enough.

The big present? They found a piece from the inside of a fuel line
stuck in the fitting where it attaches to the mixture body when
replacing all the hoses. Just another inch or two and it might have
proved a bit of an inconvenience.

Roger
Old December 30th 07, 01:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

The big present? They found a piece from the inside of a fuel line
stuck in the fitting where it attaches to the mixture body when
replacing all the hoses. Just another inch or two and it might have
proved a bit of an inconvenience.

Now THAT is truly a wonderful gift.

How old were the hoses?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old December 31st 07, 02:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Roger (K8RI)

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 05:35:18 -0800 (PST), Jay Honeck
wrote:

The big present? They found a piece from the inside of a fuel line
stuck in the fitting where it attaches to the mixture body when
replacing all the hoses. Just another inch or two and it might have
proved a bit of an inconvenience.

Now THAT is truly a wonderful gift.

How old were the hoses?

They were 5 year, life limited. Let's just say they certainly served
out their useful life. That and I can' imagen how several mechanics
and IAs had missed the date on the bands. The new ones are custom
molded, teflon lined, armored, fireproof, not life limited, and
*expensive*. :-))

Also I now can read the instruments at night. I used to have to wear a
LED head lamp. OTOH it was not impossible to fly at night. I flew IFR
back from the UP very late at night and managed to read them prior to
the "head lamp". It's wonderful to have a "lighted" panel.

Roger (K8RI)

Christmas Eve LWG Piloting 0 December 25th 07 01:09 AM
Merry Christmas Dudley Henriques[_2_] Piloting 11 December 20th 07 03:17 PM
christmas soon... [email protected] Home Built 0 December 19th 07 11:42 AM
Christmas presents [email protected] Soaring 0 December 27th 04 05:26 PM
CGC Christmas Dinner Neil Goudie Soaring 0 November 10th 03 10:10 PM