Plane Rentals in the Washington D.C. area

Old October 15th 03, 03:46 AM
John T

"James Cummiskey" wrote in message
news:wc2jb.26342$Rd4.2116@fed1read07
Hi all. I'm going to be on business travel in the Washington D.C.
area for a week or so towards the end of October. Can someone
recommend a good Flight School in the Maryland or Virginia area where
I can get an area checkout along with the ability to rent a plane for
a weekend? Thanks!

Where will you be staying? That will have a bearing on what we recommend...

In Virginia, there are two nearby airports - Leesburg (JYO) and Manassas
(HEF). Both are relatively easy to get to from major roads, but there are
no mass transit options to either one (at least none I know of).

I fly out of Leesburg and can vouch for Av-Ed (www.av-ed.com). They have a
large fleet (some 20-odd planes) ranging from older 172's and Warriors to
Skylanes, Seminoles and Diamond Stars. Aviation Adventures, nominally based
at HEF, has started a small operation at JYO, but they only have a couple of
planes there now, I think.

Manassas is a towered field and rates as the busiest GA airport in Virginia
(JYO comes in second). The advantage of JYO is the on-field Flight Service
Station - real handy when filing your ADIZ flight plan.

Somebody else will have to fill you in on the options at Gaithersburg (GAI),
Frederick (FDK) or Freeway (W00) (all in Maryland). If you're going to be
south of town, Fredericksburg, VA (EZF) may be convenient, too.

There are other airports around (FME, CGS, W32, VKX), but they're fairly
restrictive. FME is on Ft. Meade while the others are inside the FRZ
(Flight Restricted Zone).

Also, it would probably help to read up on the local ADIZ procedures
(basically "squawk & talk", but you *really* need to be familiar with the
procedures).

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/tknoFlyer

Old October 15th 03, 11:47 PM
Les Gawlik

You might try my home 'drome, Martin State Airport (KMTN). They have a web
site and I think the schools are on AIRNAV. There's Phoenix Aviation and
others. Martin is right on the edge of the ADIZ, and in early November the
ADIZ procedures are set to change. You will be able to exit the ADIZ
squawking 1205. As of now, you can stay in the pattern squawking 1234.
Please be very, very careful. There is little tolerance for incorrect
procedures.

Les

"James Cummiskey" wrote in message
Hi all. I'm going to be on business travel in the Washington D.C. area

for
a week or so towards the end of October. Can someone recommend a good
Flight School in the Maryland or Virginia area where I can get an area
checkout along with the ability to rent a plane for a weekend? Thanks!

Regards, Jim

Old October 16th 03, 05:43 AM
Michelle P

Jim,

If you are in Virginia you can try either Manassas or Leesburg.

I would recommend Aviation Adventures 703-530-7737 at Manassas and
703-777-6030 at Leesburg.

I used to deal with Av-ed for many years but it just has not been the
same since the owners soon took over.

Michelle

James Cummiskey wrote:

Hi all. I'm going to be on business travel in the Washington D.C. area for
a week or so towards the end of October. Can someone recommend a good
Flight School in the Maryland or Virginia area where I can get an area
checkout along with the ability to rent a plane for a weekend? Thanks!

Regards, Jim

--

Michelle P ATP-ASEL, CP-AMEL, and AMT-A&P

"Elisabeth" a Maule M-7-235B (no two are alike)

Volunteer Pilot, Angel Flight Mid-Atlantic

Volunteer Builder, Habitat for Humanity

Old October 17th 03, 04:19 AM
aaronw

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 19:24:23 -0700, "James Cummiskey"
wrote:

Hi all. I'm going to be on business travel in the Washington D.C. area for
a week or so towards the end of October. Can someone recommend a good
Flight School in the Maryland or Virginia area where I can get an area
checkout along with the ability to rent a plane for a weekend? Thanks!

If you're going to be more on the Maryland side, I trained out of (and
still rent from) FME - near Laurel/Greenbelt and there is GAI in
Gaithersburg, MD.

aw