Blanik L13AC AD requiring Eddy Current and Hardness Testing

Old June 10th 16, 02:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Blanik L13AC AD requiring Eddy Current and Hardness Testing

The Finger Lakes Soaring Club of Dansville, NY owns a Blanik L13AC. It is our main two place glider for teaching students.

The AD 2016-11-10, published on 6/3/2016, pertaining to Blanik L13AC Gliders refers to LET Mandatory Bulletin L13/085a. That bulletin requires eddy current testing and hardness testing on the far aft bulkhead. So far I have not been able to find any testing company interested in doing this testing..

Does any one in this group have any ideas about who does this type of testing?

Any help would be appreciated.

Charles Zabinski
FLSC Glider Maintenance

Old June 10th 16, 12:17 PM
Kevin Brooker Kevin Brooker is offline
Junior Member

Our club had this done for the AD on the L-13 which was issued 15(?) years ago. We found a testing facility by asking around on user groups for aircraft types and EAA chapters. If I recall, we found a guy on the short wing Piper club user forum. Some machine shops have them too and might run the test if you have an A&P there to sign it off. Read the AD carefully and see if there is a requirement for an FAA approved facility to do the test.
Old June 10th 16, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
firsys

On Thursday, June 9, 2016 at 9:34:01 PM UTC-4, wrote:
The Finger Lakes Soaring Club of Dansville, NY owns a Blanik L13AC. It is our main two place glider for teaching students.

The AD 2016-11-10, published on 6/3/2016, pertaining to Blanik L13AC Gliders refers to LET Mandatory Bulletin L13/085a. That bulletin requires eddy current testing and hardness testing on the far aft bulkhead. So far I have not been able to find any testing company interested in doing this testing.

Does any one in this group have any ideas about who does this type of testing?

Any help would be appreciated.

Charles Zabinski
FLSC Glider Maintenance

I have contacted a friend at the Natl Res. council of Canada who
is familiar with such testing; he is putting me in touch with someone
who can steer you to a certified facility.

However, this would be in Canada.

John Firth Ottawa
Old June 10th 16, 09:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

--
Kevin Brooker

Kevin,
Thanks for the EAA lead. Will try that path.
Chuck Zabinski
Old June 10th 16, 09:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, June 10, 2016 at 3:32:46 PM UTC-4, firsys wrote:
[...]

John Firth,
Thank you, any leads are appreciated.
Chuck Zabinski
Old June 10th 16, 10:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
firsys

On Thursday, June 9, 2016 at 9:34:01 PM UTC-4, wrote:
The Finger Lakes Soaring Club of Dansville, NY owns a Blanik L13AC. It is our main two place glider for teaching students.

The AD 2016-11-10, published on 6/3/2016, pertaining to Blanik L13AC Gliders refers to LET Mandatory Bulletin L13/085a. That bulletin requires eddy current testing and hardness testing on the far aft bulkhead. So far I have not been able to find any testing company interested in doing this testing.

Does any one in this group have any ideas about who does this type of testing?

Any help would be appreciated.

Charles Zabinski
FLSC Glider Maintenance

Here is the lead I have found.
JMF

Terry Parrish

Sun Down Inspections Inc.

Office 613-256-2269

C 613-868-4372

698 Corkery Rd.

Carp Ontario

K0A 1L0

Old June 17th 16, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I did find a company interested in doing the testing but they were in Marietta, Georgia. With travel expenses, I got a quote of $3,961 + to do the testing. I'm still surfing the net to find someone in our area at a reasonable price.

Thanks to our Canadian friend for the lead but they are too far away also.

There are 14 Blanik L13AC Sailplanes registered in the USA. What are you guys doing about the AD and required Eddy Current and Hardness testing?

Chuck Zabinski

Old June 17th 16, 10:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Have you looked into the cost associated with simply buying a hardness tester and an eddy current tester? I don't know the specific requirements, but a quick search on eBay shows a number of both at fairly reasonable prices. No reason why you couldn't put them back on eBay after you are done and recoup most of your investment.
Old June 18th 16, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Possibly stupid question on my part........ say you have the correct tools, do you need to be trained/certified to announce the results of using those tools?
My guess is "YES".........,
Old June 18th 16, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Using a hardness tester is quite simple. It may require that an A&P needs to witness the test, but using the tester will not be an issue as long as you can pisition the tester on the part (no funky geometry).

The internet is a wealth of information. Maybe try youtube and see what you find on the eddy current testing process. It may not be that hard to determine that testing these parts is not that hard and then you've aquired a valuable skill ad well.

Blanik L13AC value Ramy Soaring 5 March 21st 12 09:02 PM
FAA requiring re-registration of airplanes, and then again every 3years Justin Rizor Soaring 9 July 23rd 10 06:17 PM
Eddy Currents [email protected] Piloting 10 December 25th 07 01:19 AM
CAP232 from Eddy Dussau Rie Janssen Aerobatics 4 July 15th 04 04:18 PM
CAP232 from Eddy Dussau Rie Janssen Aerobatics 0 March 23rd 04 01:06 PM