Schempp Hirth or its Representatives...

Old September 21st 03, 03:46 AM
Doug Weibel

My Discus CS was checked by Wolfgang and Thomas from Shempp-Hirth in Denver
on Friday. A small void was found about 2 feet inboard from the aileron
belcrank inspection cover. It was probed and extended about 3 inches
spanwise and a half inch chordwise. It was repaired.

"Thomas Knauff" wrote in message
link.net...
Doris and I just returned from another funeral, so I missed some email
messages for a few days.

I spoke with the Schempp-Hirth factory and they tell me they have now
checked a fairly large number of Discus and have found no problems.

In the meantime, the German LBA will issue some kind of directive after a
meeting on September 24th.

The obvious prudent course is to not fly any affected Discus models
specified in the following document until after this meeting:

http://www.lba.de/dokumente/ad/2003-266-e.pdf

Schempp-Hirth owners may want to sign up for my free newsletter at
www.eglider.org as this is the easiest way for me to communicate with
everyone.

Tom Knauff
Knauff & Grove Soaring Supplies
Julian, Pa

Phone 814-355-2483

"Chris OCallaghan" wrote in message
om...
It appears that a third S-H aircraft has broken up in flight this
season. Rather than giving private assurances/explanations to
individual S-H owners, could someone in-the-know please tell us what
is going on?

Old September 23rd 03, 09:28 AM
Bert Willing

A factor of 1.5 by definition.

--
Bert Willing

ASW20 "TW"

"Steve Davis" a écrit dans le message
de ...
At 02:42 18 September 2003, Janus2k wrote:
John,
If you are still wondering about the 4DM breakup, read
the NTSB report.
From reading the report, the plane did not fail.

Mark

Actually the wings did fail. They presumably failed
above their design load limit. but they still failed
in flight causing the crash. A better question would
be, how much of a design cushion is there between the
load limit and actual failure of the wing?