best IFR configurations/power settings for Cessna TR182

Old June 12th 06, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default best IFR configurations/power settings for Cessna TR182

I am trying to determine the best IFR configurations/power settings for

my Cessna TR182. For example:
APPROACH LEVEL GEAR UP: MP 17 in, RPM 2300, IAS 100, VS 0, Mix Rich,
Carb Heat OFF, Flaps UP, Cowl flaps closed
seems to work but I would like to hear from other 182 pilots:
What approach level config/power setting do you use? Should Carb Heat
be ON so monitoring carb temp not so important on final approach
course? Do you put gear down before or at (as I was taught) FAF/point?

Do you use 10 degrees of flaps in this configuration? If you put gear

down at FAF, what other adjustments are needed to get VS = -500 at 100
KIAS? (I have to put Carb Heat ON and/or pull power back a bit to 16
in)
thanks
Greg

Old June 13th 06, 01:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Don't know much about T-182, but from an engine management point of
view, shouldn't a lower RPM, higher MP, and lean mixture work better
for the engine during the approach? That way you keep the BMEP high,
cylinders warm, and plugs clean.

I, too, would suggest a higher MP, lower RPM.

If your instructor warned you never to run you engine "oversquare," he
was very seriously mistaken, and gave you bad advice..

vince norris
Old June 13th 06, 03:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

vincent p. norris wrote:
I, too, would suggest a higher MP, lower RPM.

If your instructor warned you never to run you engine "oversquare," he
was very seriously mistaken, and gave you bad advice..

Too true. I generally will use the lowest RPM consistent with my power needs
just for the noise relief.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE