Silver Badge Fun (?)

Old July 11th 03, 09:57 PM
Eric Greenwell

In article , says...
I suggest for every Silver attempt using a GPS logger that the
pilot fill out a declaration. I can see no downside.

The downside: using a paper declaration requires an OO; using an
electronic declaration in a recorder sealed to the glider doesn't.

OK, two things. First of all, my point was that there is no
downside compared to doing no declaration at all. That was the
context.

Sorry, that wasn't clear to me. I thought "fill out" implied you were
recommending a only paper declaration, not just a declaration of any
form.

I was also assuming the pilot was getting a tow (not
self-launch).

Perhaps in your situation, all the towpilots are qualified, and want
to be, and have the time to be, official observers while towing, but
that is not true everywhere. By having the recorder sealed to the
glider, you avoid the need for the OO/towpilot. Getting it sealed is a
simple step that can be done any time before the flight, even months
in advance, and can serve for all flights afterwards, until the seal
is broken.

Second, I'll bet you I can find ten random pilots who've never
flown a badge, and using any logger and any computer you like,
five minutes later my group will have the paper form
filled out and the logger power hooked up. Your five pilots
will either have no declaration, have done it wrong, or
will have begun drooling and wandering in circles,
begging for more help.

If you are starting with the recorder in an unopened box, that would
be true. A more common situation is a recorder already installed, with
a database, and a set of tasks to choose from. If you use the same
task each time, no action at all is required, since the previous
electronic declaration is still valid.

I've only used Cambridge equipment, and think it's easy to select a
new task if the current one isn't suitable, or to enter a new one on
the spot. Other recorders may not be as easy, and certainly someone
unfamiliar with the equipment would do better with a paper
declaration.

I think you've moved beyond the novice group, so I was encouraging you
(and other post-novices) to make more use of the GPS recorder
features.

There's nothing as user friendly and satisfying as paper
and pen for a novice.

Still, there is the opportunity to declare one thing and fly another,
because you didn't enter the task in the recorder and use if for
navigation. That's a reason I like the electronic declaration: then I
know my navigation points and my task are really the same. And, as
long as I'm going to enter the points for navigation, I might as well
go the one extra step to declare them.

Nonetheless, the important thing is have a system that is simple and
convenient for you to use. I'm not against paper declarations for
anyone (except me!), but only pointing out the advantages of
electronic declarations.
--
!Replace DECIMAL.POINT in my e-mail address with just a . to reply
directly

Eric Greenwell
Richland, WA (USA)
Old July 12th 03, 02:33 AM
Bob Kuykendall

Earlier, (Mark James Boyd) wrote:

Reminds me of the space race story...

Ah, yes, a story of the type Urban Legend:

http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp

Where Barbara Mikkelson writes:

Fisher did ultimately develop a pressurized
pen for use by NASA astronauts (now known
as the famous "Fisher Space Pen"), but both
American and Soviet space missions initially
used pencils, NASA did not seek out Fisher
and ask them to develop a "space pen,"
Fisher did not charge NASA for the cost of
developing the pen, and the Fisher pen was
eventually used by both American and Soviet
astronauts.

Thanks, and best regards to all

Bob K.
Old July 14th 03, 07:28 PM
Richard Brisbourne

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 21:10:08 -0700, "Al"
wrote:

When was the last time people made wooden gliders like the K6? late 60's?

Al

Didn't you own a Cobra once?
--
"Curmudgeonly is the new cool" (Terry Wogan)
(The real name at the left of the e-mail address is richard)
Old July 14th 03, 07:52 PM
Janusz Kesik

I'm not sure, but someone in the US had done it already.

--
Janusz Kesik

We have received a report that Adrian Emck has just done 750k in his K6,
anyone done that in a PW5?