USS SAN FRANCISCO

Old February 24th 05, 01:39 AM
B.C. Mallam

Default USS SAN FRANCISCO

I know this is off topic but can't find any info on what happened to the CO
of the San Francisco that ran aground off Guam. I expect he is looking for a
job.

Old February 24th 05, 01:48 AM
John Szalay

"B.C. Mallam" wrote in
news:1109205573.6e2f7b1efff93c8de63082c455d6a316@t eranews:

I know this is off topic but can't find any info on what happened to
the CO of the San Francisco that ran aground off Guam. I expect he is
looking for a job.

Mooney is reassigned to Submarine Squadron 15, based in Guam, pending the
results of an investigation to determine the cause of the sub’s grounding
Jan. 8 that resulted in the death of one Sailor and injuries to 23 others.

http://www.news.navy.mil/search/disp...story_id=16709

Navy Cmdr. Kevin Mooney will not be charged with any crime and will not be
court-martialed.

He received a nonjudicial punishment, most likely in the form of a letter
of reprimand from his commander, this week, officials said. Such punishment
typically ends an officer's career.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/02/11/sub...der/index.html

Old February 24th 05, 06:22 PM
tomcervo

"own goals" seem to be a tradition with ships named "San Francisco".

Old February 25th 05, 02:29 AM
Jack

John Szalay wrote:

Navy Cmdr. Kevin Mooney will not be charged with any crime and will
not be court-martialed.

He received a nonjudicial punishment, most likely in the form of a
letter of reprimand from his commander, this week, officials said.
Such punishment typically ends an officer's career.

That seems pretty harsh. I certainly don't know the facts, but wasn't
it a case of an uncharted obstruction? How can he be blamed for that?

Old February 25th 05, 03:57 AM
Andrew C. Toppan

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 12:29:34 +1100, Jack
wrote:

That seems pretty harsh. I certainly don't know the facts, but wasn't
it a case of an uncharted obstruction? How can he be blamed for that?

He's not. He wasn't following some of the navigation/voyage planning
procedures, which, if followed....still wouldn't have prevented
running into an uncharted mountain. But the nuclear navy follows the
book, and if you get caught not following it, you will have a
problem....

--
Andrew Toppan --- --- "I speak only for myself"
"Haze Gray & Underway" - Naval History, DANFS, World Navies Today,

Old February 26th 05, 11:49 PM
old hoodoo

wrote:

That seems pretty harsh. I certainly don't know the facts, but wasn't
it a case of an uncharted obstruction? How can he be blamed for that?

He's not. He wasn't following some of the navigation/voyage planning
procedures, which, if followed....still wouldn't have prevented
running into an uncharted mountain. But the nuclear navy follows the
book, and if you get caught not following it, you will have a
problem....

--
Andrew Toppan --- --- "I speak only for myself"
"Haze Gray & Underway" - Naval History, DANFS, World Navies Today,
Photo Features, Military FAQs, and more -
http://www.hazegray.org/

A consise and straight answer from a reliable source. Thank you
Andrew.
I assume that several Captains/Commanders that have been previously
cutting corners have straightened up their act a bit. In the short run
a positive effect on the force overall...although the black eye will
remain for a while.
As a member of a beareaucratic organization the cutting of corners
is often defacto authorized by a middle management that turns a blind
eye, often out of necessity from unrealistic expectations of the top
brass, sometimes due to incompetence, sometimes due to downright
laziness...but when something goes wrong suddenly upper and middle
management will run for cover and the lowest but most visible supervisor
gets the axe, in this case the Captain/Commander. I doubt there will
probably be a strenuous examination of current practices overall in the
running of ships. The word will probably be to suck it up for a while
and cross every t and dot every i and then things will blow over.
Do I sound bitter? Maybe just disillusioned with bureaucracies
where mediocrity and deviousness is so lavishly rewarded and enthusiasm
and integrity is considered a nuisance.

Old February 27th 05, 07:26 PM
BOB'S YOUR UNCLE

wrote:

That seems pretty harsh. I certainly don't know the facts, but wasn't
it a case of an uncharted obstruction? How can he be blamed for that?

He's not. He wasn't following some of the navigation/voyage planning
procedures, which, if followed....still wouldn't have prevented
running into an uncharted mountain. But the nuclear navy follows the
book, and if you get caught not following it, you will have a
problem....

And we thoight this was about Naval Aviation?