Runway Three or Runway Zero Three - which is better ?

Old March 11th 14, 12:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Runway Three or Runway Zero Three - which is better ?

On Saturday, May 3, 1997 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Andrew M. Sarangan wrote:
I was taught to always call out runway number in two digits. When I was
training in Ottawa, the tower and all pilots refer to Runway Zero-Four,
not Runway Four. Similarly Runway Three-Five, not Runway Thirty Five.

In Albuquerque, USA, where I fly now, I have noticed the opposite.

Today, the tower instructed me to fly a left base for Runway Three. Every
other time at this airport, I landed on Runway 30. For a brief moment I was
confused. When I asked for clarification how they want me to enter a left
pattern for Three-Zero, they said, "I said Runway Three, not runway Thirty".

How do other pilots like to refer to runway numbers ?

In the US, painted on the runway would be 19 - 1. Not 01
Old March 30th 14, 09:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Sylvia Else

On 14/03/2014 1:42 PM, george152 wrote:
On 14/03/14 14:49, Dave Doe wrote:
In article ,
, says...

On Saturday, May 3, 1997 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Andrew M. Sarangan wrote:
I was taught to always call out runway number in two digits. When I was
training in Ottawa, the tower and all pilots refer to Runway Zero-Four,
not Runway Four. Similarly Runway Three-Five, not Runway Thirty Five.

In Albuquerque, USA, where I fly now, I have noticed the opposite.

Today, the tower instructed me to fly a left base for Runway Three.
Every
other time at this airport, I landed on Runway 30. For a brief
moment I was
confused. When I asked for clarification how they want me to enter a
left
pattern for Three-Zero, they said, "I said Runway Three, not runway
Thirty".

How do other pilots like to refer to runway numbers ?

In the US, painted on the runway would be 19 - 1. Not 01

And in the *rest* of the world, outside US juristiction etc, it'd be 01.

I rather suspect that its the same in the US.
Just some-one doing a Walter Mitty

See

37.782976,-81.124887

in Google Earth.

Nice example of how the runway number looks like part of the centre line
markings. If it were 01, it would be so much clearer.

Sylvia.
Old March 30th 14, 12:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Nomen Nescio

On Saturday, May 3, 1997 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Andrew M. Sarangan wrote:

How do other pilots like to refer to runway numbers ?

"three zero" makes more sense than "thirty", as all pilots with
English as a second language would have to learn to count to 35.

And iirc, the phonetic convention only goes to nine. So would 29 be
"twenty niner"? Two niner makes more sense.

Old March 31st 14, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
Nomen Nescio wrote:

On Saturday, May 3, 1997 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Andrew M. Sarangan wrote:

How do other pilots like to refer to runway numbers ?

"three zero" makes more sense than "thirty", as all pilots with
English as a second language would have to learn to count to 35.

No -- they have to go to 36, as there is no Runway Zero-Zero. It is
Runway Three Six.