Minden's filling up!

Old February 13th 04, 02:50 PM
JJ Sinclair

Default Minden's filling up!

We got 20 contestants signed up with a maximum of 40, due to limited parking on
the east side. Preferential cut off date, 7 April. BTW, Parowan is full (50)
with 19 that won't get in. Come on over to Minden, but do it before we fill up
also. No sports class, therefore NO reverse seeding at Minden. Look for JJ to
have more to say about *reverse seeding*, later in the year. Anyway, we have
Standard, 15 meter, 18 meter and open classes. Had a ball last year at Minden
Championships (Region 11) with daily distances of 300+ and speeds in the mid
80's
Come join us,
JJ Sinclair

Old February 13th 04, 09:11 PM
Stewart Kissel

SNIP-

also. No sports class, therefore NO reverse seeding
at Minden. Look for JJ to
have more to say about *reverse seeding*, later in
the year.

SNIP-
Come join us,
JJ Sinclair

Ahh come on JJ, you can't leave us hanging. The days
are still short and your buddies from across the pond
don't seem to want to talk with you about spin training
anymore. Why waste a good thread for the spring when
we will all be out flying?

Old February 14th 04, 12:21 AM
JJ Sinclair

What are the contest dates, Minden does not show on SSA.ORG for 2004?

Fred

I'm sorry, my computer crashed and I had to type it over and forgot the most
important thing. June 7-12, 2004. Hope you can make it to Minden.
JJ Sinclair
Old February 14th 04, 01:16 AM
JJ Sinclair

Stew is baiting me, with..

Ahh come on JJ, you can't leave us hanging. The days
are still short and your buddies from across the pond
don't seem to want to talk with you about spin training
anymore. Why waste a good thread for the spring when
we will all be out flying?

Oh very well. My son and I really wanted to fly Parowan in our ASH-25. We're
seeded at 92, should be no problem getting in, right? Not only NO, but Hell NO.
They dreamed up something called *Reverse seeding*. What is that for, you ask?
It is to allow new guys to be assured of an entry in sports class. Parowan
didn't offer Open class, so we were forced to enter Sports.
First off, everybody in region 9 automatically gets in, no questions asked and
no seeding required. I don't have a big problem with this, it is their region,
after all (mark down 28) Then they *Reverse seed* everybody else in sports
class, 100-92 and we end up with a new seeding of 8. Seven more guys from
OUTSIDE the region get in and we end up 59th on a list that stops at 50, due to
limited parking space.
Now this I don't agree with! Everybody in the region is automatically entered,
so the reverse seeding is to allow new guys from OUTSIDE region 9 to go to the
head of the class. It took me 20 years to make it to the front side of the
score sheet and now it is being used against me. I would make it in if I had my
first seeding of 50 (circa 1975) The only way I can get in is to switch classes
to Standard, but my partner can't fly his 100K toy.
This Sucks,
JJ Sinclair
Old February 14th 04, 01:32 AM
Stewart Kissel

Hey JJ-

Did u check with KS about this?, IIRC those ships
that don't have a class supported(like you in Open),
get a priority. Gotta check my email archives, but
is that not how his Duo/DG is flying?

Stew is baiting me, with..

Old February 14th 04, 01:59 AM
Greg Arnold

Stewart Kissel wrote:

Hey JJ-

Did u check with KS about this?, IIRC those ships
that don't have a class supported(like you in Open),
get a priority. Gotta check my email archives, but
is that not how his Duo/DG is flying?

KS has himself listed at #66

Old February 14th 04, 02:23 PM
JJ Sinclair

Did u check with KS about this?, IIRC those ships

Karl said the RC considered a waiver for guys that were forced to fly sports
class, but decided against it.

I think it (reverse seeding) is too much. The new guy is automatically entered
into his home region without any seeding. Thats all we owe these FNG's. If
someone from another region wants to get started, they can do it in their
region.

JJ Sinclair
Old February 14th 04, 10:41 PM
Chris OCallaghan

Sounds like there's interest enough to run 2 contiguous contests. One
for the kids and one for the seeding list. They'd probably have 50
gliders at each, with enough mentors for week one and enough children
for week two the keep things lively. Maybe that's too much work, but I
had the impression Guenther was trying to attract attention to
Parowan.

As an aside, Parowan has pretty slim pickins in accomodations and
meals. Cedar City is 20 minutes south, has a wider selction of hotels
and restraurants and a summer-long Shakespeare Festival.
Old February 15th 04, 02:10 AM
Paul M. Cordell

Chris,

with regard to accommodations in Parowan, there is an absolutely great
place. The Cedar Breaks Lodge is about 15 minutes from the airport.
It is at the base of the Brians Head Ski area. The rooms are studio
apartments or larger with available room service. The lodge has 2
restaurants and a sports bar.. In addition to the restaurants and bar
there is a full service day spa. The facilities of the spa are
available to hotel guests. The full size indoor swimming pool,
Fireside Jacuzzi, sauna and stream room are the perfect end to a day
running Utah cloud streets!! The hotel will be the location of the
pre contest safety meeting and the contest awards banquet. Check it
out!!

http://www.cedarbreakslodge.com/thelodge.htm