GPS anetenna location OK in baggage area of a fiblerglass glider?

Old February 27th 18, 10:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

Default GPS anetenna location OK in baggage area of a fiblerglass glider?

tiistai 27. helmikuuta 2018 8.33.22 UTC+2 jfitch kirjoitti:

An ASH26E has an all carbon fuselage but a fiberglass turtle deck. As does every other AS glider I have ever seen (20, 24, 25, 29, 31, etc.). Every Ventus and Discus I have ever seen has a fiberglass turtle deck. Ditto every DG and Lak.

No they don't. I've maintained and repaired a bunch of gliders you mention and I'm familiar with their structure. I've been to LAK factory seeing them lay-up parts. Here is a link to fuselage lay up showing full carbon lay-ups with glass at the tail for antenna:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/icyQoCCntLEBb8TI2

Your list includes gliders that have all-glass-fuselage BTW. Just calling BS, for the last time now.
Old February 27th 18, 10:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

tiistai 27. helmikuuta 2018 8.33.22 UTC+2 jfitch kirjoitti:
An ASH26E has an all carbon fuselage but a fiberglass turtle deck. As does every other AS glider I have ever seen (20, 24, 25, 29, 31, etc.). Every Ventus and Discus I have ever seen has a fiberglass turtle deck. Ditto every DG and Lak. Rather, please point to a composite glider that does not. In a Pilatus, Schweizer, or Blanik you will have some trouble as they are aluminum.

Here is few photos from LAK factory, fuselage and tail lay-up (glass around antenna in tail):

https://imgur.com/a/NoHcw

Your list includes gliders with all-glass fuselage which is bit confusing.

Just calling BS, for the last time.
Old February 27th 18, 11:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Le mardi 27 février 2018 11:46:42 UTC+1, krasw a écritÂ*:
list includes gliders with all-glass fuselage which is bit confusing.

Just calling BS, for the last time.

From the Schleicher homepage
https://www.alexander-schleicher.de/werk/mitarbeiter/
Photos #1 and #10 show the glass part of the turtle deck.

Old February 27th 18, 01:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, February 26, 2018 at 2:12:23 PM UTC-5, Darryl Ramm wrote:
Name one where it is not. Go do the light test Jon discussed. Every Schleicher fueslage I have looked at is this way. Pretty sure the DG1000 is, ...

You were claiming no glider fuselages have this, having used GPS antennas mounted under the turtleneck in several otherwise carbon fiber glider fuselages I know you are wrong about that.

Here is a game for the upcoming SSA convention... folks there can ask or look to check if the turtledecks in all the gliders on display are RF transparent or not.

Oh the anticipation for the advancement of human (well r.a.s.) knowledge is killing me.... :-)

'27 and '28 lamination schemes show no carbon in a portion of the turtle deck area. Low loads and it is easy to shape carbon layer during lamination. My ELT antennas are in this area for that reason.
UH
Old February 27th 18, 02:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Le mardi 27 février 2018 14:47:14 UTC+1, a écritÂ*:
'27 and '28 lamination schemes show no carbon in a portion of the turtle deck area. Low loads and it is easy to shape carbon layer during lamination.. My ELT antennas are in this area for that reason.
UH

Actually, the ELT antennas are the reason why there is a glass part in the turtle deck. Otherwise you would have to put these antennas somewhere else, and you would need a cable to connect the antenna to the ELT. And that would be real stupid.
Old February 27th 18, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ross[_3_]

Not sure how many Discus 2 and Ventus 2 fuses I made, but none of them have a glass turtle deck.
Radio antenna located in the fin which is glass, except the Nimbus 4 where it is located in the rudder.
This however doesn't help your issue
Old February 28th 18, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

On Tuesday, February 27, 2018 at 7:16:13 AM UTC-8, Ross wrote:
Not sure how many Discus 2 and Ventus 2 fuses I made, but none of them have a glass turtle deck.
Radio antenna located in the fin which is glass, except the Nimbus 4 where it is located in the rudder.
This however doesn't help your issue

Has anyone tried putting a transponder antenna like the T2glued to the inside the turtle deck? does the antenna require a downward view? 250 watts of RF too close to your head? This would make install on an ASW27 MUCH simpler than a fin or stinger on the outside behind the gear, not to mention more aerodynamic.
Old February 28th 18, 01:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Tuesday, February 27, 2018 at 4:20:51 PM UTC-8, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:

Has anyone tried putting a transponder antenna like the T2glued to the inside the turtle deck? does the antenna require a downward view? 250 watts of RF too close to your head? This would make install on an ASW27 MUCH simpler than a fin or stinger on the outside behind the gear, not to mention more aerodynamic.

There is little if any scientific evidence one way or the other. But the general consensus seems to be that a 1/3 horsepower gigahertz ping next to the noggin is a lot more likely to be bad than good. You might hit the jackpot and mutate into a master of clairvoyance and psychokinesis, but the odds aren't in your favor on that.

And, yeah the view down seems to be more important than the one up.

One possibility might be a slot antenna, which are said to work well in the gigahertz range. I have it on my to-do list to try it, but it's pretty far down the list:

http://www.antenna-theory.com/antenn...rture/slot.php

--Bob K.
Old February 28th 18, 01:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Tuesday, February 27, 2018 at 4:20:51 PM UTC-8, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
On Tuesday, February 27, 2018 at 7:16:13 AM UTC-8, Ross wrote:
Not sure how many Discus 2 and Ventus 2 fuses I made, but none of them have a glass turtle deck.
Radio antenna located in the fin which is glass, except the Nimbus 4 where it is located in the rudder.
This however doesn't help your issue

Has anyone tried putting a transponder antenna like the T2glued to the inside the turtle deck? does the antenna require a downward view? 250 watts of RF too close to your head? This would make install on an ASW27 MUCH simpler than a fin or stinger on the outside behind the gear, not to mention more aerodynamic.

Can't you put it in the nose of the 27? I mounted an L2 there on my 26, ahead of the rudder pedals. The nose it also not carbon, it's kevlar and glass.. I believe the antenna wants to be vertical for the correct polarization, that might add to the problems putting it in the turtle deck. I have the L2 transponder antenna on one side and the Flarm A on the other, works fine.
Old February 28th 18, 05:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Tuesday, February 27, 2018 at 5:26:55 PM UTC-8, jfitch wrote:
[...]

I think the '27 is different from the '26 there and does not have the clear spots in the nose.