Roof Rack for bikes on a cobra clamshell top?

Old March 9th 18, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

Default Roof Rack for bikes on a cobra clamshell top?

On Friday, March 9, 2018 at 6:04:09 AM UTC-8, wrote:
Maybe I'm wrong, but while I applaud the ingenuity and craftmanship, I think any external bike rack on the sides of the trailer would be road-illegal in Europe due to considerations regarding the safety of pedestrians, cyclists and animals in the unlucky case of a collision. Such racks would certainly aggravate the consequences for the victims.

All the best,
Aldo Cernezzi
www.voloavela.it

Could be, guess you guys use smaller tow vehicles. In the USA, tow vehicles are typically wider than the trailer. Even with mountain bikes, which have wider handlebars, the bikes don't extend past the sides of the tow vehicles I use.

Most US states allow a vehicle width of 102 inches (259 centimeters).
Old April 18th 18, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

I have picked a solution and implemented it. First, my bike is an electric mountain bike from LunaCycle so it is large and quite heavy (60 lbs). That eliminated the roof rack category. The handlebars are wide, so I was a little concerned about mounting it on the side of the trailer. Also this direction seemed complex, and a std bike rack would stick pretty far out. That left the "double hitch" solution as an option.

I needed to find a suitable bike rack as well. It had to support the weight of the bike, be compact with only one rack, and be secure. I ended up with a Thule T1 for about $300, and I am very happy with this rack. It comes with a built in lock for the bike, and a lock for the receiver pin. I had to shorten the tongue about three inches so that the bottom of the rack would clear the hitch and trailer when installed. This required drilling a few holes and a lot of hacksawing. The new length works both on the car alone, or with the double receiver.

I used two hitch clamps to stabilize the hitch extension which I highly recommend, even if you are using a standard rig. cuts down on noise and play, which helps stabilize towing. I had to extend the chains to accommodate the extra length, and ended up with a connector pig tail as the trailer plug was not quite long enough.

Pictures are available shortly

Matt

Old April 18th 18, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

Here is the link to pictures: https://flic.kr/s/aHskwtvXc4
Old April 18th 18, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Senna Van den Bosch

Op woensdag 18 april 2018 17:27:34 UTC+2 schreef Matt Herron Jr.:
Here is the link to pictures: https://flic.kr/s/aHskwtvXc4

Your licence plate is amazing!
Old April 18th 18, 06:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

On Wednesday, April 18, 2018 at 8:53:51 AM UTC-7, Senna Van den Bosch wrote:
Op woensdag 18 april 2018 17:27:34 UTC+2 schreef Matt Herron Jr.:
Here is the link to pictures: https://flic.kr/s/aHskwtvXc4

Your licence plate is amazing!

Thanks.

It has a double meaning, as I nick named my house "Cloudbase" as well. The house is high enough that we are often engulfed in clouds. On my way home I can tell Siri, "Take me to Cloudbase", and she of course obliges.

Matt
Old April 19th 18, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
xcnick

Nice looking Crusher. 1up racks are very versatile and can do things like Bumper did as well as just using the rails on a tongue or roof. Here is my Luna with a 1up. The 1up is very versatile and the only one that will handle my prosthetic limb.

https://electricbike.com/forum/filed...ledataid=10499

Old April 19th 18, 06:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

On Thursday, April 19, 2018 at 8:53:27 AM UTC-7, xcnick wrote:
Nice looking Crusher. 1up racks are very versatile and can do things like Bumper did as well as just using the rails on a tongue or roof. Here is my Luna with a 1up. The 1up is very versatile and the only one that will handle my prosthetic limb.

https://electricbike.com/forum/filed...ledataid=10499

seems to be a bad link
Old April 20th 18, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
xcnick

seems to be a bad link

Maybe a dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9s32vtiidt...20ski.jpg?dl=0

or a google photo link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/0J3AWFvTSTc4ElQ83

I am pretty useless with flight computers as well.

Old April 22nd 18, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

On Friday, April 20, 2018 at 8:20:28 AM UTC-7, xcnick wrote:
seems to be a bad link

Maybe a dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9s32vtiidt...20ski.jpg?dl=0

or a google photo link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/0J3AWFvTSTc4ElQ83

I am pretty useless with flight computers as well.

OK, that is a very radical Bike! Well done.

Matt