A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Dream Panel

Old August 30th 15, 06:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Dream Panel

Burt,

More accurately it's a Memphis rate of climb. And I still have one! Once in a while I think about popping it into the panel but I don't have room. You're the first person to mention a Memphis in at least 20 years.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"
U.S.A.
Old August 30th 15, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas
external usenet poster

Default Dream Panel

Chip, you are correct. Like many sons of the fifties and sixties soaring pilots, I have a couple of classic "Memphis" rate of climb indicators. One is still working fine in my late father's Open Cirrus sailplane here at Marfa. A prized instrument in its time and sought after by vintage sailplane restorers. For the "newbies", see the SSA "American Soaring Handbook", Chapter 7, page 18. Yes, it's out of print but a valuable resource and in some ways better than the current FAA Glider Flying Handbook as the ASH chapter topics were written by soaring pilots, not by non-pilot FAA "technical writers."

On Sunday, August 30, 2015 at 12:36:06 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Burt,

More accurately it's a Memphis rate of climb. And I still have one! Once in a while I think about popping it into the panel but I don't have room. You're the first person to mention a Memphis in at least 20 years.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"
U.S.A.

Old August 30th 15, 08:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

Default Dream Panel

Many years ago there was a Heads Up Display offered for sale. Have never even seen these on the secondary market. Would be nice to have a HUD with vario, farm and airspeed info. Maybe if it had compass info a mechanical compass would not be required instrumentation. Just a thought. LX Nav want to make another option to go with the LX 90XX computers?
Old August 31st 15, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Dream Panel

History lesson (Burt, correct me where appropriate; my memory is a little hazy this far back): My father also had two Memphis ROCs. The second one he found in the 60s in a V-tail Bonanza in the small town in Alabama where he had grown up. [I don't know where the Memphis instruments--referred to, I believe, because the manufacturer (Aircraft Indicators?) was located in that city--were installed but the early Bonanzas were a common location] He persuaded the owner to let him swap the Memphis for a brand new Kollsman ROC and she was happy to.

A club member in the Soaring Society of Dayton (predecessor of Caesar Creek) named Bill Coverdale (brother, IIRC, of Miles Coverdale, who was active in the SSA) quickly removed what he referred to as the "chokes" (restrictors) and, voila, a self-contained, sensitive rate of climb. The Memphis was the backup in many competition cockpits in those days.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"
U.S.A.
Old August 31st 15, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas
external usenet poster

Default Dream Panel

Yes Chip, that sounds right. Beech installed them in many Bonanza airplanes in the fifties. Back then, Bill Coverdale would bring his bright blue Ka-6 to my Dad's gliderport south of Miami, FLA, in the winter. He wrote an article, actually a letter to the editor as I recall, in SOARING about removing the restrictor from a "Memphis." A search of the magazine archives may be worthwhile to anyone interested.

His brother Miles Coverdale (often sporting a big bow tie) wrote many articles primarily on training and safety and was the "grandfather" perhaps of our current Soaring Safety Foundation, of which I am Trustee (which in the southern states, means a trusted prisoner!)

Like you and your Dad, I was lucky to meet, through my father Fritz Compton, many of the legends of soaring from that golden age and listen to the discussions of "how to" which they shared willingly at the single national "open" contest or at one of the regional events each summer.

Old August 31st 15, 01:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND
external usenet poster

Default Dream Panel

On Saturday, August 29, 2015 at 5:15:00 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Was wondering what would be your dream panel if cost was not a factor and why you would choose the instruments you do?

Firstly it would be inside of a KA-6e, and made of varnished birdseye maple, with a pellet vario, and ivory-faced, anodized aluminum instruments

like this:

http://wingsandwheels.com/old-site/images/page211.jpg

No GPS, no electronics, other than maybe an audio vario that wouldn't ruin "the feel", and of course a radio. especially one that looks vintage.
Old September 1st 15, 11:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Werner Schmidt
external usenet poster

Default Dream Panel

ND wrote 2015/08/31 at 14:12:

Was wondering what would be your dream panel if cost was not a factor and why you would choose the instruments you do?

Firstly it would be inside of a KA-6e, and made of varnished birdseye maple, with a pellet vario, and ivory-faced, anodized aluminum instruments

like this:

No GPS, no electronics, other than maybe an audio vario that wouldn't ruin "the feel", and of course a radio. especially one that looks vintage.

the Panel itself looks fine, but ...

- 2 Varios, OK
- 2 ASIs, divergingly readable - no
- and ... 4 Altimeters are a bit much of redundancy ... just my 2 ct.

regards
Werner

Old September 1st 15, 01:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND
external usenet poster

Default Dream Panel

On Tuesday, September 1, 2015 at 6:32:19 AM UTC-4, Werner Schmidt wrote:
ND wrote 2015/08/31 at 14:12:

like this:

the Panel itself looks fine, but ...

- 2 Varios, OK
- 2 ASIs, divergingly readable - no
- and ... 4 Altimeters are a bit much of redundancy ... just my 2 ct.

regards
Werner

aww c'mon, you know what i mean. that panel just happens to capture "the look" i'm describing. that panel only looks that way because they want to showcase what they have available. i only would want one ASI, one ALT, one Compass, a radio, and a vario or pellet vario if one could be found that fit in with the rest.

At the end of the day though, this is all hypothetical....... ...
Old September 3rd 15, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Werner Schmidt
external usenet poster

Default Dream Panel

ND wrote 2015/09/01 at 14:35:

aww c'mon, you know what i mean. that panel just happens to capture
"the look" i'm describing.

huh - thought it was about the instruments :-D

regards
Werner