ClearVav vs. LXNav

Old March 12th 18, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hal[_3_]

Default ClearVav vs. LXNav

Have you ever tried to manipulate a touch screen while bouncing around in turbulence?
Old March 12th 18, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hal[_3_]

Keep the CN user interphase the way it is. Have you tried to manipulate a touch screen while bouncing in turbulence?
Old March 12th 18, 06:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Monday, March 12, 2018 at 11:22:50 AM UTC-7, Hal wrote:
Keep the CN user interphase the way it is. Have you tried to manipulate a touch screen while bouncing in turbulence?

Yes. Does not work well with an in-panel display, but can work pretty well with a stalk mounted. Buttons actually aren't the best in turbulence either, knobs are better. The reason is you need a way to locate your hand independent of actuating something, a knob allows you to grasp the knob to locate your hand, and twist it with precision. Stick mounted buttons (or the Craggy track ball) do the same thing, hand is located by the stick. Panel mounted buttons are easy to miss, or actuate more than once in turbulence. A touch screen on a stalk can be grasped with the thumb and 4th finger, locating your hand relative to the screen which can be touched with some precision.

There is at least one display (Air Avionics L) that has both touch screen and knobs, with all functions available either way.

Of the lot, stick mounted buttons might be best, except you give up the rich interface offered by touch screen gestures on modern displays.
Old March 12th 18, 08:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

I haven't found much of an issue a touch screen. If it is bumpy, I just brace a finger against the edge of the case.

YMMV - Lou
Old February 4th 18, 01:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 7:11:39 AM UTC-8, Gerry Simpson wrote:
New glider on the way. Would like objective opinions from pilots who have flown with both ClearNav and LXNav and spent enough time to make an honest, educated evaluation. Let me preface this with the information that I have flown with ClearNav since being an early adopter. Both appear to have advantages. Are there enough with LXVav (9000, 9070, 9050) to warrant going through the learning curve for a new system?

Wonder if anyone using a LX Navigation computer care to comment?
Old February 4th 18, 04:26 PM
RickH RickH is offline
Junior Member

Location: St. Louis, MO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan St. Cloud View Post
On Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 7:11:39 AM UTC-8, Gerry Simpson wrote:
New glider on the way. Would like objective opinions from pilots who have flown with both ClearNav and LXNav and spent enough time to make an honest, educated evaluation. Let me preface this with the information that I have flown with ClearNav since being an early adopter. Both appear to have advantages. Are there enough with LXVav (9000, 9070, 9050) to warrant going through the learning curve for a new system?

Wonder if anyone using a LX Navigation computer care to comment?
I flew the CN I computer and pointer vario for several years and liked it. However it was slow and prone to lockups. I loved the crawling amoeba indications of glide range and the recommended turn arc in a TP area. The remote stick was very efficient and allowed full independence of operation. I can only imagine that a faster and more stable computer would make the system only better. For my first flight computer I thought it was very intuitive and just what I needed. When I ordered my JS1C I struggled with the avionics selection but finally decided upon the LX 9070, V8, and AIR Glide S varios. The 9070 and the ability to customize just about everything is very handy. Screen is bright with great resolution. Individual Nav pages for Tasks, Airports, Waypoints, allow you to have access to all the information you could want without the clutter of a single page source. Defining a task is easy and quick but I still like the recommended TP turn display and crawling amoeba of the CN better. I do like the LX voice alarms. They can be a little annoying at times but you can cancel them very easily if you’re tired of hearing about airspace issues while you thermal at the edge of a control zone. I like the functionality of the CN remote stick controller better than the LX remote stick controller as you still find yourself turning knobs and fiddling with the computer controls during flight. I also like the fact that I have an artificial horizon (3 in my setup) for those really hazy late afternoon returns into the sun! I have thousands of hours of familiarity with FMS’s from my day job, but still found the LX to have a slower learning curve than the CN. The CN was practically plug-and-play while the LX is a work in progress for me. I’ve only flown it for half of a season, but for the long-haul, I think the LX provides a more robust solution. The support seems very responsive as well. If you like avionics- the LX is the way to go, if you like to look out of the window and relax for OLC flights, the CN may be your better choice. Just my 2-cents.

Rick H
NR
Old February 12th 18, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Blake Seese 3Y

Hi Gerry,
Full disclosure, I have not flown with either system. I'm flying with an Oudie hooked to a 302 right now, so pretty outdated. A very good soaring pilot and good friend told me years ago to get a system developed by people who speak your native language because it makes the learning curve much easier.. I have found that to be very true. I would just go through the setup a little bit on both and see which one is more intuitive for you, since both systems are technically very good.
Old February 12th 18, 12:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

maanantai 12. helmikuuta 2018 4.33.45 UTC+2 Blake Seese 3Y kirjoitti:
Hi Gerry,
Full disclosure, I have not flown with either system. I'm flying with an Oudie hooked to a 302 right now, so pretty outdated. A very good soaring pilot and good friend told me years ago to get a system developed by people who speak your native language because it makes the learning curve much easier.

Well that's great news for Slovenian gliderpilot population out there!
Old February 12th 18, 02:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Grillo[_2_]

Hi Gerry,
I can give you a perspective on LX support. I purchased and installed a LX9050 two seasons ago. Last summer I developed a screen issue where the colors would change in flight, stay screwed up for 15 minutes or so then go back to normal. I contacted LXnav and they said to send them the unit and they would repair it free of charge. I sent them the unit in early December and I had it back in 30 days. Not bad considering the holiday break.

I will say that the 9000 series does take some time to learn because of all the features it has. But once you get it setup the way you like, its works great. I would suggest getting the biggest screen that will fit in your new ship.

See you in Albert Lea.
Don

Old February 12th 18, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

As noted in an earlier post - I have flown extensively with both the CN and LX units. In response to Blake's comment about "native language" I think that this was very true about 10 or so years ago - and particularly a problem with the LX 7000 and 7007 IGC Pro series machines. But the problem was largely resolved with the new 8000 and 9000 series - which are much better programs and intuitive regardless of user's language . The CN program was developed by people with a strong background in the Cambridge Aero computers and seemed very intuitive by pilots with that background.

It really seems that CN is becoming the standard for US gliding and LX for European gliding. That may be a factor in where you want to eventually sell your glider. It's not surprising that customer support is good on the continents where the machines are built. In my experience both are good machines - but they take a different approach and serve a different set of pilot expectations.
ROY