Daryl Hunt Rides Again (was [Admin] us.military.army FAQ M1A4 - Special Post -)

Old December 30th 03, 05:24 AM
redc1c4

Admin wrote:

"Mary Shafer" wrote in message
On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 21:18:41 GMT, Tank Fixer
wrote:

As for the A-12s, they were there in the 70s. I Physically saw them

lined
up in a nice little row on the tarmak along with support equipment

(power
units). What they were doing there, I have no idea.

IIRC there were what a half dozen or so A-12 built in the early 60's ?

Funny that you could see them in the 1970's when they had been retired

and
placed in storage in 1968.

The "storage" was the ramp at AF Plant 42. They were pretty easy to
see, at least in later years, sprayed with some sort of white stuff.
I've saw the A-12s regularly. You could even snap photos while flying
near, but not over, Plant 42.

However, I have nothing to add regarding the rest of this except
agreement with Tank Fixer.

Except you just disagreed with him in his assessment that the A-12 could not
possibly be there. You and I both know they were. What you saw was them
putting them into mothballs. I saw them prior to that just before they were
mothballed.

they were withdraw from service and mothballed in Palmdale CA, in 1968.
how could you see them in Nevada, in use, in the 1970's?

redc1c4
and you wonder why folks call you a bull****ter.
--
"Enlisted men are stupid, but extremely cunning and sly, and bear
considerable watching."

Army Officer's Guide
Old December 30th 03, 05:48 AM
Jim Atkins

Found the original designation for the Phantoms, according to Rene
Francillon's Putnam volume on the subject. In 1954 (18 Oct, to be precise)
the Navy issued a Letter of Intent to procure two long range twin engine
attack aircraft designated YAH-1. The Navy designator was changed to XF4H-1
in May 1955. The first AF version was externally identical to the F-4B and
was procured as the F-110A under a letter of intent dated 30 March 1962.

--
Jim Atkins
Twentynine Palms CA USA

Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
- Groucho Marx

Old December 30th 03, 06:20 AM
Tank Fixer

In article , says...

"Tank Fixer" wrote in message
k.net...
In article .net,
says...

As much as I hate to say it, in Daryls defense haven't any of you guys
done a live fire exercise? Of course though those times that I have

been
involved in them, we were shooting at targets near other soldiers (by

near I
mean to say 100-200 meters away, but never any closer)but not at other
soldiers.

I have, Ft Benning and other places.

Yea, gets your attention when you hear "bang, bang, bang" just like normal
then hear "bang, bang, bang, *ting*".

Not had THAT pleasure.

And the idea that someone would delibetatly shoot a LAW at other soldiers
in a training exercise is absurd.

I have had sabot shot over my position by mistake at a range.

Sabot overhead can kill you, that shoe is bouncing around some where.

We were a good 800 meters from the muzzle. The gunner got outside the
range fan on Table VIII and aquired a HMVEE providing power to our TOC, he
tried to engage with the coax.
Except he had main gun selected.

They shut the place down for two days to investigate.

I've found individual live rounds during exercises on the ground and
ready boxes of belted blanks for the SAWs; police them up as the
situation permits. Ready live ammo would be a show stopper.

Most definatly.
Funny thing is we used to carry full load in Korea during FTX's.

--
When dealing with propaganda terminology one sometimes always speaks in
variable absolutes. This is not to be mistaken for an unbiased slant.
Old December 30th 03, 10:40 AM

~Nins~ wrote:
"Tank Fixer" wrote in

message
k.net...
In article ,
says...

"David W" wrote in

message
DM's LAW story, the A-12's @ Groom Lake,
the FB-4's in Turkey, P-38's in the 1950's ? I missed

these,
anyone care to fill me in or point me in the right

direction
please ?

They'll just screw it up so let me.

How nice of you to make the claims again.
I wouldn't want to mis-quote you.

I talked with an Oklahoma Nation Guard that said his

unit trained
at FT Hood with the 82nd in the early 80s. It was an

exercise of
sorts. He said that the Guards got a bit rambuntious

and were
getting mighty close to the 82nd until an 82nd place a

LAW round
just to the left (or right) of a Guards head. At that

point,
things were more than a bit intense and they stopped the

exercise.
I do know a few of the Guards were more than a bit cocky

and that
82nd troop probably did the best lesson they ever

learned. Is it
true? You take it up with the OKGuards, not me. But it

sounds like
it could have happened.

Does this pass the smell test ?
That live ammo was on an exercise ?
Troops shooting at(near) troops on purpose ?

Was it something like this type of exercise, EDRE when the

brigade is
on DRB1, and the troops do not know if it is practice or

for real?
Would live ammo be used then? Is this what he is

referring to,
possibly?

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...army/82abn.htm
10th paragraph down "An EDRE is nothing more than a

practice
deployment which involves the DRF 1 Task Force and

possibly the DRF 2
and DRF 3 as well. When the EDRE is called, no one knows

if it is
practice or real. The units go through the entire alert,

recall, and
deployment procedures as if i t is real. "

snip

Nins, I was with the 82nds 2/505th INF and went on several
EDREs you know if it is real when you get your ammo, in
practice you get blanks, if it was real they pass out live
ammo. They don't break the seals on live ammo unless they
have to because the USAF won't transport it once the seals
are broken since there's no way to know what we've put in
each of the open cans.

Snark
--
Panthers on Point!

Old December 30th 03, 03:35 PM
Ed Rasimus

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 06:23:07 GMT, Tank Fixer
wrote:

In article ,
says...
On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 22:19:42 GMT, Tank Fixer
wrote:

So did the F-100, F-84 and F-104 wings. None had any silly FB designation.
One aircraft got that, the FB-111 Only for the ones SAC took on.

Please note that the FB-111 which SAC flew out of Pease and
Plattsburgh was a different model entirely than the F-111A/D/E/F
versions flown in TAC and USAFE. Larger wing, higher gross weight,
different avionics.

Well aware of it.
Wasn't that wing a carry over from the F111B program for the USN ?

No. If anything, the B model wing was smaller than A. Don't quote me
on that.

Never liked 'Varks. It took way too long for the airplane to become
operationally effective. Folks who drove them almost universally had a
"can't do" attitude. Few fighter pilots in the organization.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
Smithsonian Institution Press
ISBN #1-58834-103-8
Old December 30th 03, 04:59 PM
John Hairell

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 23:27:50 GMT, "~Nins~" wrote:

[lots of stuff snipped]

Actually, I'm finding several references on the net where training with live
ammo is indicated.
http://www.abcactionnews.com/stories...training.shtml

The US Army trains with live fire all the time, but that doesn't mean
they allow troops to shoot at each other. Any such incident would be
cause for an immediate halt to training and an investigation, and some
big ass-kicking.

The normal practice at infiltration/low crawl ranges is for the
machine guns to be bolted down in a frame which allows only a limited
amount of movement, usually in the horizontal plane. The MGs fire
down "alleys", and the only way to get hurt is by standing up in the
line of fire. Usually the only casualties on these kinds of ranges
are the ringing ears of the MG gunners, who get to fire all day from a
concrete bunker, and who then get to police up a ton of brass and
links. They may also get a burn or two from a red-hot MG barrel or
have a runaway autofiring MG. Been there, done that.

The idea that Army troops would shoot at each other in training
scenarios is ridiculous. The only thing I've ever heard of that has
even a modicum of similarity is of two BCT companies at Ft. Knox
shooting towards each other from one rifle range to another, and that
story was put out by a drill sergeant to impress raw boots - it's
almost certainly 99.99% B.S.

There are elaborate regulations and range rules about the use of live
fire. For instance one of those regulations has to do with the use of
armor-piercing ammo during exercises where armored vehicles are in
use, i.e. if you are going to shoot live ammo in a firepower exercise
and you have a bunch of troops buttoned up in APCs, for safety's sake
you don't use AP ammo in case a round goes into an APC by mistake.
That doesn't mean that anyone would shoot conventional ammo at an APC
on purpose.

I've worked both range airspace and at range controls, and anytime
there was a problem with where fire was landing, or there were range
incusions, training ops were immediately stopped. Ops were even
stopped when fire wasn't close but troops on the ground perceived that
it was, i.e. the fire was within legal parameters but somebody got
nervous because of their perceptions.

There have been training accidents where people got hurt or killed by
live fire. I was in the cockpit of a Chinook which was narrowly
missed by a live TOW missile headed for a tank hulk. Made my whole
day...

John Hairell )