Accuracy of GPS in Garmin 430/530

Old April 27th 06, 04:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Accuracy of GPS in Garmin 430/530

That is a great user interface for showing accuracy on an ongoing basis.
Do you know what technology they use to make that circle calculation?

How do you turn on that feature? Maybe it is in the 430/530 as well?

--
Will

wrote in message
oups.com...
to the original question, I would note that my 396 displays "accuracy"
of the gps solution by drawing an "uncertainty" circle around the
airplane. You can also display the error in ft.

Old April 27th 06, 10:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Steven,

Why shouldn't it be his primary nav source?

Because it is a handheld, which is not approved for IFR use, enroute or
approach.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old April 27th 06, 01:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Bob Noel" wrote in message
In article . net,
"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

Why shouldn't it be his primary nav source?

google is your friend.

This question has Google stumped.

Perhaps google is only Bob's special friend.

Old April 27th 06, 01:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

In article . net,
"Ted" wrote:

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Bob Noel" wrote in message
In article . net,
"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

Why shouldn't it be his primary nav source?

google is your friend.

This question has Google stumped.

Perhaps google is only Bob's special friend.

or perhaps Steven doesn't remember asking this question over and over
and over and over and over....

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old April 27th 06, 02:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message

Because it is a handheld, which is not approved for IFR use, enroute or
approach.

No approval is required for enroute use of a handheld GPS in the US.

Old April 27th 06, 02:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Bob Noel" wrote in message

or perhaps Steven doesn't remember asking this question over and over
and over and over and over....

Steven does remember that. He also remembers that nobody has ever answered
the question correctly.

Old April 27th 06, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

In article .net,
"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

or perhaps Steven doesn't remember asking this question over and over
and over and over and over....

Steven does remember that. He also remembers that nobody has ever answered
the question correctly.

yeah, right.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old April 27th 06, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

In article .net,
"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message

Because it is a handheld, which is not approved for IFR use, enroute or
approach.

No approval is required for enroute use of a handheld GPS in the US.

where is "enroute use" defined?

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old April 27th 06, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Will wrote:
That is a great user interface for showing accuracy on an ongoing basis.
Do you know what technology they use to make that circle calculation?

How do you turn on that feature? Maybe it is in the 430/530 as well?

Garmin can do what it chooses with its VFR units. The IFR units are
subject to TSO-C129 (or 146 for LPV).

Again, as I have said here a couple of times, the stuff you are looking
for appears on a full-press RNP platform where, because of very tight
containment areas, such "belts and suspenders" become critically important.

It just doesn't matter in the relatively large amount of airspace
provided for TSO-C129 instrument approach procedures.

I work with this stuff professionally almost every day. And, I have a
whole lot of flying time and couldn't care less about what concerns you
when I am flying behind a Garmin 530.

I have my hands full enough with a 530 doing what I am supposed to be
doing, such as verifying the legs of an instrument approach before I
possibly get led astray by a faulty database. Do you do that for each
and every IAP?

My first exposure to RNAV was in an early 767 with airway database, CDU
entry, etc, etc. The Garmin 400/500 series is much more difficult to
truely master than a full FMS LNAV platform. I am not a hobbiest, yet I
am learning something new about the 530 all the time.

One of these days, I may have the opportunity to learn the
state-of-the-art FMS LNAV RNP platform on the 737-NG. Then, and only
then, will I become concerned about actual navigation performance (ANP).
Old April 27th 06, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Bob Noel" wrote in message

where is "enroute use" defined?

Dictionary