Can You Name an "Aircraft-Accessible" Aviation Museum?

Old January 7th 04, 05:40 PM
Larry Smith

"Tom Sixkiller" wrote in message

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
news:FeGKb.751015$HS4.5883554@attbi_s01...
In another post about the fabulous new Udvar-Hazy Center (part of the
National Air & Space Museum), frustration with not being able to fly

into
this terrific new facility was evident. I personally find it appallingly
ironic that museums which purport to glorify flight are not accessible

by
aircraft, despite being located on an airport.

Which brings to the fore a question: How many aviation museums really

ARE
accessible by light plane? I know, for example, that my two favorite
museums (the Air Force Museum in Ohio, and the Strategic Air Command

Museum
in Nebraska) are NOT accessible by aircraft.

Champlin Museum at Falcon Field in Mesa, AZ --until they packed up and

moved
:~(

A big thing in these woods was to fly to Middlesboro, KY and see Glacier
Girl, the P-38 Lightning melted out of the deep Greenland Icecap, where she
lay buried since the forties. I take it she's still there, one of only a
half-dozen remaining Lightnings.
http://www.p38.com/glaciergirl/default.html

Old January 7th 04, 06:36 PM
Peter R.

Jim Weir ) wrote:

Having said that, I do have a question for the group. How many here know what
"CTRL-A, CTRL-C" does? (It is a rhetorical question.)

Select all, copy.

--
Peter

Old January 7th 04, 06:45 PM
Snowbird

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:FeGKb.751015$HS4.5883554@attbi_s01...
So here's my contributions to this heroic list.

Can you add any more to this list?

TSK, Jay, and you've even been there!

The Historic Aircraft Restoration Museum at Creve Coeur, MO.
Fly in, land on pavement or grass. If you come on Sunday
join the throng for lunch, $5 for a good carnivorous meal
that the charge must barely cover. Catch an eyeful of more
antique rare and homebuilt aircraft flying around than you'll
see at most fly-ins.

The other Saturday was a bit thin. Between Christmas and New
Years, and a kicking wind. We drove up while our daughter
napped. I taxiied to the end of the runway, mag prob, taxiied
back, failed to find the problem, watched our daughter while DH
found the problem (shorted top plug -- but I couldn't see it.
would I have had sense enough to swap plugs between cylinders
were I on my own? hope so, next time), taxiied out for a couple
short hops to be sure the problem was fixed and our friends could
go flying.

Only there an hour, hour and a half, maybe. Still saw two
Stearmans and a Pitts, flown by people who can handle a 20 kt
xwind on pavement dragging tail, and make it look simple.

Cheers,
Sydney
Old January 7th 04, 07:02 PM
Jim Weir

My dumb. I meant "CTRL-A, DEL, then reply".

Ya got me.

Jim

-

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old January 7th 04, 07:13 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Eric Miller wrote:

Rhinebeck is a great flying museum... they don't just have vintage aircraft,
they FLY them.

Yes, and they also have a static museum a short walk up the hill.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."
Old January 7th 04, 07:31 PM
ShawnD2112

I can think of two, one worth crossing the pond for, the other maybe not
worth crossing the street for:

Crossing the Pond: Duxford, Imperial War Musuem, Cambridgeshire, England
Built on the WWI aerodrome (subsequently used by RAF SPits and USAAF
Mustangs), this living museum uses all of the original hangars for a
collection that is part static display, part restoration workshop, part
active hangar for some 50 or so flying warbrids. This is Mecca!!

Crossing the Street: Can't remember the name but its the museum at Kissimmi
next to Warbirds, the T-6 guys.
Don't remember much about it except it's worth doing if you're already there
but I wouldn't make a point of flying in.

Shawn

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
In another post about the fabulous new Udvar-Hazy Center (part of the
National Air & Space Museum), frustration with not being able to fly into
this terrific new facility was evident. I personally find it appallingly
ironic that museums which purport to glorify flight are not accessible by
aircraft, despite being located on an airport.

Which brings to the fore a question: How many aviation museums really ARE
accessible by light plane? I know, for example, that my two favorite
museums (the Air Force Museum in Ohio, and the Strategic Air Command

Museum
in Nebraska) are NOT accessible by aircraft.

So here's my contributions to this heroic list. Let's hear it for museum
directors who have sense enough to make their airplanes viewable by those

of
us who might actually fly in!

1. Rantoul, Illinois. The Octave Chanute Aerospace Museum You can taxi
right up to this one, and park just a few dozen feet away from an F-14
Tomcat. (Sadly, when we were there last month they had the back door
locked, so we had to walk around to the front of the building. This is a
giant hangar, so that was no small feat, with kids in tow...)
See it at: http://www.aeromuseum.org/

2. Topeka, Kansas. Combat Air Museum. Ditto above. Another great museum
located on the old Forbes Field air base.
See it at http://www.combatairmuseum.org/

3. Greenfield Iowa. Iowa Aviation Museum and Hall of Fame. Small, but

very
good.
See it at http://www.flyingmuseum.com/

4. Ottumwa, Iowa. Airpower Museum and Antique Aircraft Association. This
is on a small, private, grass strip which is home to the most amazing

annual
fly-in every summer. Call ahead for permission to land.
See it at http://www.aaa-apm.org/ .

5. Oshkosh, WI. EAA Airventure Museum. This one is only "sort of"
accessible by air. When I flew in during the winter in '95, I had to park
on the opposite side of the airport (miles away) at Basler, and they drove
us over to the museum.
See it at http://www.airventuremuseum.org/.

Can you add any more to this list?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

Old January 7th 04, 08:31 PM

In article , Jim Weir says...

Creve Coeur (St. Louis MO).

Tallmanz on John Wayne in Santa Ana CA.

Tallmanz hasn't been there for 20 years or so, after Frank Tallman died the
collection was broken up and sold.

Does anyone remember the "Flying Car" they had there? I'm sure it never flew,
but I don't know if it was meant to, or if it was a movie prop. It looked like a
bar of soap/inverted bathtub with wings that folded in underneath the car body.
Bright red, but it's been 35 years since I saw it a lot of the details have
faded.

Old January 7th 04, 08:45 PM
Russell Kent

Dave S wrote:

Also, I believe there is some sort of Museum at Addison, Texas in the
DFW area (ADS). It is a short walk (again even with kids).

That would be the Cavanaugh Flight Museum.
http://www.cavanaughflightmuseum.com/

Russell Kent

Old January 7th 04, 08:49 PM
David Brooks

"Bela P. Havasreti" wrote in message
Museum of Flight at BFI no longer allows general parking on their ramp
(or so the individual on the phone told me during the 100 years of
flight centennial event).

It is kind of ironic that http://www.museumofflight.org/visit/ doesn't tell
you how to fly there.

-- David Brooks

Old January 7th 04, 09:10 PM
Frank Castronovo

1. Air Heritage Musem, Beaver County Airport (BVI), Beaver Falls, PA

2. Piper Museum, William T. Piper Memorial Airport (LHV), Lock Haven, PA