Stiction in the yoke

Old October 24th 04, 02:40 PM
Jay Honeck

Default Stiction in the yoke

A previous owner, in an attempt to make his yokes move more freely, used dry
graphite in the yokes on our Pathfinder.

Of course, as moisture and condensation came and went, this graphite clumped
up and got gritty. This would restrict motion, so he apparently added MORE
graphite.

Long story short, we've been using spray-on silicone for the last two years.
At first, every time I sprayed we would pull out chunks of black graphite
out of the yoke bushings. This diminished over time gradually, to the point
where now our rag might come out black after spraying, but there are no
discernible particles.

The yokes work pretty smoothly now, but I find that I must spray them every
week or so to maintain absolute freedom of movement. (I have discovered
that the difference between an okay landing, and a greaser, is the ability
to "finger-tip adjust" in the flare...)

What do you guys use on your yokes? Is there anything that lasts longer
than silicone spray that (a) doesn't stain carpet, (b) doesn't stink to high
heaven, and (c) doesn't leave particulate matter behind?

Thanks!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 24th 04, 04:07 PM
Nathan Young

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 13:40:03 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

What do you guys use on your yokes? Is there anything that lasts longer
than silicone spray that (a) doesn't stain carpet, (b) doesn't stink to high
heaven, and (c) doesn't leave particulate matter behind?

LPS #1.

Regarding your requirements:
A. Hold a paper towel under the yoke when spraying.
B. Can't help you here, LPS has an odor, but I kind of like it.
C. No residue with LPS.
Old October 24th 04, 04:11 PM
Michelle P

Jay,
anything but Silicone will attack the bushings.
Michelle

Jay Honeck wrote:

[...]

Michelle P ATP-ASEL, CP-AMEL, and AMT-A&P

"Elisabeth" a Maule M-7-235B (no two are alike)

Volunteer Pilot, Angel Flight Mid-Atlantic

Volunteer Builder, Habitat for Humanity

Old October 24th 04, 04:52 PM
tom418

I use alchohol to clean the shafts when needed. Note: the M/M (of my Seneca
at least) cautions against "lubricating the control wheel shaft or bushing"

Old October 24th 04, 06:32 PM
zatatime

wrote:

What do you guys use on your yokes? Is there anything that lasts longer
than silicone spray that (a) doesn't stain carpet, (b) doesn't stink to high
heaven, and (c) doesn't leave particulate matter behind?

An IA friend of mine recommended Dow Corning #4.

Its labeled as an Electrical Insulating compound, but contains
silicone and it a great lube. It even meets MIL Spec 8660.

I had a similar problem when I bought my bird, someone used something
that gummed up the works. I also was very irritated on landings when
I'd apply a little back pressure (nothing happened), a little more
(nothing happened), a little more and the yoke came back 2 inches.
(Crap!)

This stuff comes in a squeeze tube, so spray doesn't go everywhere,
and provides about 9 months of lube since its thicker and remains on
the yoke longer (while it was getting gunk out it didn't last as
long). It also helped clean out a whole bunch of junk from the
bushings.

I highly recommend this to anyone. A little bit goes a long way.

HTH.
Old October 24th 04, 07:52 PM
Blanche

I use a bit of TriFlow (from my bicycle kit), munge the yoke
back & forth, in & out as if flying then wipe it off.
Old October 24th 04, 09:45 PM
Ben Jackson

In article TgOed.298228$MQ5.193396@attbi_s52,
Jay Honeck wrote:

Long story short, we've been using spray-on silicone for the last two years.

That's the recommended procedure for foosball tables too. What a lot of
owners do instead is use pledge (for the wax). No, it doesn't work nearly
as well, but I figured you'd like to hear of another use for your stock of
lemon pledge.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old October 24th 04, 10:46 PM

What do you guys use on your yokes? Is there anything that lasts longer
than silicone spray that (a) doesn't stain carpet, (b) doesn't stink to high
heaven, and (c) doesn't leave particulate matter behind?

Another vote for LPS1...spray it on a rag and wipe the shaft with it.
If shaft is really cruddy, wipe it off with a clean rag and repeat.
cruddy...

Less mess and smell than spraying directly onto shaft.

Funny that the first time I had this problem, I wished for LPS1, as I
have used it elsewhere...and what does the instructor grab from the
shop?

LPS1 leaves a non-sticky film. Works great on Piper Traumahawks!
Meets (a), (b) and (c) when applied as above...
--Don

Thanks!

Old October 24th 04, 11:46 PM
soxinbox

I know you didn't like the graphite, but just in case someone out there is
thinking it sounds like a good idea:

Some reasons not to use graphite:

It tends to clump up and fall off. Its a conductor, so if it falls on
electrical connections, it can short them out. This may be more likely on
some planes than others, and probably only if the clumping is happening on
the back side of the yoke bearing. It is flamable, so if it shorts out
power leads, it can start a fire.

Old October 25th 04, 03:53 AM
Rutger

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:TgOed.298228$MQ5.193396@attbi_s52...

What do you guys use on your yokes? Is there anything that lasts longer
than silicone spray that (a) doesn't stain carpet, (b) doesn't stink to high
heaven, and (c) doesn't leave particulate matter behind?

This stuff: Dupont Teflon Silicone spray lubricant.

http://www.midwayautosupply.com/deta...tion.asp?11769