Where to find list of ICAO airport codes?

Old December 12th 06, 12:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
virtuPIC

Default Where to find list of ICAO airport codes?

Currently I am setting up http://www.airspace-v.com - a general
aviation web site with weather reports and navigation information on
Google Map. However, I am still looking for a list of all (worldwide!)
ICAO airport codes to keep track of changes. Any recommendation where
to find them?

virtuPIC

http://www.airspace-v.com - international hangar flying

Old December 12th 06, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow

oups.com...

http://worldaerodata.com/

Old December 12th 06, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

virtuPIC wrote:
Currently I am setting up http://www.airspace-v.com - a general
aviation web site with weather reports and navigation information on
Google Map. However, I am still looking for a list of all (worldwide!)
ICAO airport codes to keep track of changes. Any recommendation where
to find them?

virtuPIC

http://www.airspace-v.com - international hangar flying

Just curious, why limit yourself to airports with ICAO codes? In the
U.S. that's probably only about 1/2 the airports.

-Robert

Old December 13th 06, 02:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
virtuPIC

Matt Barrow:

http://worldaerodata.com/

Well, this site is a web-formatted version of DAFIF (RIP ;-)). DAFIF
has no complete list of airfields, not even of those with ICAO codes.
Less than 10,000 of them.

I already came across several incomplete lists. But thank you anyway,
looks nice.

Robert M. Gary:

Just curious, why limit yourself to airports with ICAO codes? In the
U.S. that's probably only about 1/2 the airports.

Well, I need some kind of index. Handling them by 'name,state,country'
is a bit tedious - and maybe not unique. So why not take the ICAO code?
Idea was to find a workaround for airfields without ICAO code. I didn't
expect their number so large. Thank you for the advise.

Old December 13th 06, 03:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

virtuPIC wrote:
Google Map. However, I am still looking for a list of all (worldwide!)
ICAO airport codes to keep track of changes. Any recommendation where
to find them?

You could always download the flightgear simulator and have a look in
the files for it's database of airports - http://www.flightgear.org/

The main data file appears to be found at:
http://cvs.flightgear.org/cgi-bin/vi...data/Airports/

Old December 13th 06, 03:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
fromTheShadows[_3_]

virtuPIC wrote:
Google Map. However, I am still looking for a list of all (worldwide!)
ICAO airport codes to keep track of changes. Any recommendation where
to find them?

I found this - don't know if its any use to you. It was last updated in
2000 so probably not, but thought I'd pass it along anyway...

http://www.homepages.mcb.net/bones/06airfields/icao.htm

I found the link through Wikipedia. There's also an SDK for FS2004 that
will allow you to dump its airport data, but that's probably more
trouble than its worth.

Cheers,

Craig
Old December 13th 06, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow

"virtuPIC" wrote in message
oups.com...
Matt Barrow:

http://worldaerodata.com/

Well, this site is a web-formatted version of DAFIF (RIP ;-)). DAFIF
has no complete list of airfields, not even of those with ICAO codes.
Less than 10,000 of them.

I already came across several incomplete lists. But thank you anyway,
looks nice.

Check it again, it has feeds from DAFIF _and_ NFD, _and_ DoD.

Old December 13th 06, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jon

virtuPIC wrote:
Currently I am setting up http://www.airspace-v.com - a general
aviation web site with weather reports and navigation information on
Google Map. However, I am still looking for a list of all (worldwide!)
ICAO airport codes to keep track of changes. Any recommendation where
to find them?

virtuPIC

http://www.airspace-v.com - international hangar flying

Don't know if this is of any help but:

https://pilotweb.nas.faa.gov/distribution/atcscc.html

Old December 13th 06, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
virtuPIC

fromTheShadows:

http://www.homepages.mcb.net/bones/06airfields/icao.htm

Yes, if I remember correctly this was is my current list. But
incomplete.

Matt Barrow:

Well, this site is a web-formatted version of DAFIF (RIP ;-)). DAFIF

Check it again, it has feeds from DAFIF _and_ NFD, _and_ DoD.

Anyway, it's incomplete. What e.g. EDKA - Aachen Merzbrück, Germany?
It's missing. Yes, I use this one as first check.

Jon:

https://pilotweb.nas.faa.gov/distribution/atcscc.html

Looks great! Seems to contain more than 20,000 airfields. Will have to
find out about file format, parse it and be happy.

Thanks to all of you!

Old December 13th 06, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
virtuPIC

umpff... sorry, small correction. The helping file was referred by

:

http://cvs.flightgear.org/cgi-bin/vi...data/Airports/

Slipped into the wrong message when writing my last one. Sorry again!