Warrior Oil Level?

Old October 10th 05, 04:04 AM
Dave

Default Warrior Oil Level?

Hi Warrior/Cherokee pilots...

How full do you keep your engine? (oil level? )

Seems anything above 6 1/2 it just leaves...

5 1/2 - 6 it hardly consumes any oil at all...

Ours is 1976 150 hp Lyc, 600 hrs SMOH, 4 new cyls 60 hrs ago.

Compression all 73 - 76

Aircraft is new to us, we learning it...

Thoughts?

Dave
Old October 10th 05, 04:24 AM
Robert M. Gary

It depends on your engine. In my IO-360 lycoming, I used to keep 8
quarts. Then, after about 500SMOH the engine started to blow out
anything above 7 quarts. It depends how much blow by you get on your
cylinders, I think. I teach in a Warrior, and I know the book says you
can run it on very little oil but I would want to keep at least 6
quarts in it.

Old October 10th 05, 04:28 AM
Jay Honeck

Seems anything above 6 1/2 it just leaves...

Yep, we always kept 6 quarts in our O-320-powered Warrior. Anything above
that just blew overboard.

We kept 8 quarts in O-360-powered Archers, for the same reasons.

And we now keep 9-10 quarts in our O-540-powered Pathfinder.

Of course, now we have an air/oil separator, so we *could* keep 12 quarts in
it...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 10th 05, 05:40 PM
Paul kgyy

For my IO360 (8 qts suggested) I fill to 7, don't re-fill until it
drops below 6.

Old October 10th 05, 10:14 PM
Matt Whiting

Dave wrote:

Hi Warrior/Cherokee pilots...

How full do you keep your engine? (oil level? )

Seems anything above 6 1/2 it just leaves...

5 1/2 - 6 it hardly consumes any oil at all...

Ours is 1976 150 hp Lyc, 600 hrs SMOH, 4 new cyls 60 hrs ago.

Compression all 73 - 76

Aircraft is new to us, we learning it...

Thoughts?

Dave

We don't put much more than 6 quarts in our 67 Arrow.

Matt
Old October 10th 05, 11:24 PM
zatatime

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 03:59:40 +1300, Dave Doe wrote:

You *will* keep 12 quarts in it - after you've experienced a serious oil
leak in flight.

From 12 down to 10 in a 235 IS a serious oil leak. Only takes about
40 minutes to blow out the first qt, and about another hour for the
second.

Old October 13th 05, 01:03 AM
Aluckyguess

"Paul kgyy" wrote in message
oups.com...
For my IO360 (8 qts suggested) I fill to 7, don't re-fill until it
drops below 6.

ditto

slow roll in a super decathlon Nobody Aerobatics 4 August 24th 05 02:36 AM
Below sea level Hilton Piloting 13 June 14th 05 04:42 PM
Displaced AFSS "controllers" heading for BIL and GRB Chip Jones Instrument Flight Rules 12 April 10th 05 09:22 PM
Date of effect now 1 April 2004 for revised IGC-approval for certain legacy types of GNSS flight recorder Ian Strachan Soaring 56 December 2nd 03 08:08 AM