NY incident :-(

Old December 30th 03, 04:44 AM
John Roncallo

Mike Rapoport wrote:

"Marco Leon" mleon(at)optonline.net wrote in message

The whole thing was blown out of proportion as usual but maybe not as much
as I thought. According to a British newspaper, it had arrested two Saudi
nationals who were planning on crashing a small plane into an airliner
(http://www.todayonline.com/articles/12378.asp) The story could have been
total BS but we all know that's all that's needed to raise tensions. If

that

Brit story played into this incident, then that's some pretty bad timing

for

the Mooney pilot.

We'll never know.

Marco

Trying to hit an jet with a small piston single is like trying to hit a
bullet with an arrow. It would be interesting to see them try.

Mike
MU-2

I agree. It would be allot easyier to do with a van that has allot more
space and capacity for bombs. Thats why they should close down all the
streets in Chicago and re-open Miegs.

John Roncallo

Old December 30th 03, 06:50 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Jonathan Goodish wrote:

I can accept making the mistake and busting the Class B...

I'm not sure that I can. The Hudson is a straight and wide waterway at that point,
and there's this rather large, easily identifiable city just to the left of it.
Taking a sharp 90 degree turn up that creek they call the Harlem River goes way
beyond "getting lost".

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."
Old December 30th 03, 07:56 AM
Thomas Borchert

John,

as this flight would seem to indicate.

and his blathering to the media, too.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old December 30th 03, 07:56 AM
Thomas Borchert

Judah,

Oh well. People screw up

I dunno. There are screw-ups, and then there are SCREW-UPs.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old December 30th 03, 03:46 PM
Andrew Gideon

Peter Gottlieb wrote:

Was that his path? Did he come down the Hudson then turn left at the
Harlem river and decide to go down the east side of Manhattan?

He'd left Sky Acres en route to Republic (where he was based) according to
news reports. A logical pilotage route is down the Hudson.

I'm surprised that nobody here has caught one interesting point, so perhaps
it's not as interesting as I'd imagined. He'd been flying for a year and a
half, according to the report, and he was flying a Mooney. I've never
flown a Mooney, but the impression I've had is that these are fairly
"smooth" aircraft. After only 18 months (and assuming mostly "weekend"
flying), is flying such reasonable?

Still, there have been some awful comments in the news. The Post reported
NYC's Deputy something as saying that small aircraft shouldn't be permitted
around his city. The AM news station 1010 reported that the pilot "scared
people by flying around the statue", and didn't mention that scores do it
every day.

Sheesh.

As much as aiming ire at the pilot may feel good, I've a feeling we might
need to do something to avoid having NYC turn as friendly to aviation as
Chicago. There's no airport to close, but this is still worrisome.

- Andrew

Old December 30th 03, 04:24 PM
Rosspilot

Frankly, having lived, worked, and flown here for so long, I can't figure out
what he did . . . or why. This was at 1:30 in the afternoon (according to the
reports I saw), bright blue VFR sky. Maybe if it was at night I could see
"confusion".

George, why do you say this?

He'd left Sky Acres en route to Republic (where he was based) according to
news reports. A logical pilotage route is down the Hudson.

I wouldn't go that way unless I was *planning* a scenic run of Manhattan. If
so, he would have to be (at minimum) familiar enough with the basic geography
to know Hudson and East Rivers w/ Manhattan between them.
Something clearly doesn't add up to me. If he was on the Hudson southbound,
why turn toward LGA and get off the highway?

The news reports have taken a more ominous tone like "buzzing the Statue of
Liberty", etc . . . and I know why. It is very important to keep us afraid, so
we can continue to "terrorize" ourselves. Fox News has "Terror Alert: HIGH"
permanently on the screen 24/7 now. The whole thing is so ridiculous. I pray
we pilots aren't the only ones who recognize what our nation is rapidly
becoming . . . cowering, ignorant, poorly educated, self-absorbed, gullible,
simple-minded, platitude-spouting, sheeple.

I love the term "no-fly zones". Like suicidal Muhammad is gonna re-think his
plan because Mayor (fill-in the blank) got a "no fly zone" around his city.
Sure . . .

Geeze . . . :-(

www.Rosspilot.com

Old December 30th 03, 04:26 PM
Ron Natalie

"Judah" wrote in message ...
I dunno... Coming up from the NJ side, like over BLM area, I could see
momentarily confusing the Brooklyn Bridge for the Verrazzano (sp?) if you
haven't done it before...

If you can't tell the difference between Manhattan and Staten Island, I guess so.

Old December 30th 03, 04:44 PM
Rosspilot

George, why do you say this?

He'd left Sky Acres en route to Republic (where he was based) according

news reports. A logical pilotage route is down the Hudson.

I didn't.

Oops . . .sorry . . . question meant for Andrew, then . . .

www.Rosspilot.com

Old December 30th 03, 06:59 PM
Andrew Gideon

Rosspilot wrote:

George, why do you say this?

He'd left Sky Acres en route to Republic (where he was based)
according

news reports. A logical pilotage route is down the Hudson.

I didn't.

Oops . . .sorry . . . question meant for Andrew, then . . .

Right. I'd assumed that he'd decided to run the exclusion zone ahead of
time.

- Andrew

Old December 30th 03, 07:04 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Peter Gottlieb wrote:

Was that his path? Did he come down the Hudson then turn left at the Harlem
river and decide to go down the east side of Manhattan?

Well. I *did* make an assumption there that he decided to shoot the corridor
before or shortly after he took off. That would be within sight of the Hudson
for the entire flight.

Rereading the article, it really isn't that clear. The article said he was coming
from the Poughkeepsie area, went through La Guardia airspace, and down the East
river. I suppose it's possible that he headed direct for Republic and decided to
detour down the East River after he got down close to LI Sound. That would bring
him through the class B near Spyten Dyvil. At that point, the class B goes to the
ground. That mistake would be much more understandable.