filling Oxygen tanks

Old December 25th 04, 09:36 AM
Dan Foster

Aviation oxygen is also guaranteed for a particular maximum moisture
level -- premise being that it would be 'a bad day' if there were excess
moisture and if it froze (impeding oxygen delivery) while at the
higher/colder altitudes.

Other than that, I'd agree that these three sources are, for most
practical purposes, identical aside from the cost.

Some more details including regulatory citations:

http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/182079-1.html

-Dan

(Wondering if Santa is going to deliver a plane that will allow me to
finally start worrying about needing supplementary oxygen. Probably not,
but one can dream. :-) )
Old December 25th 04, 11:39 PM
Roger

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 09:36:29 +0000 (UTC), Dan Foster
wrote:

Aviation oxygen is also guaranteed for a particular maximum moisture
level -- premise being that it would be 'a bad day' if there were excess
moisture and if it froze (impeding oxygen delivery) while at the
higher/colder altitudes.

Other than that, I'd agree that these three sources are, for most
practical purposes, identical aside from the cost.

Some more details including regulatory citations:

http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/182079-1.html

Although he recommends storing the tanks laying down, some regulations
may require storing them upright and safety chained to prevent falling
over. It's certainly handier than with the tanks laying on the floor.

One thing he didn't mention about transportation: Never, move or
transport a high pressure cylinder without the screw on cap in place!
I don't even move them around the shop without that cap in place. It's
really good protection for that high pressure valve. I certainly would
want it in place any time I was not using the tank(s) if they were
laying down.

I don't do that much flying at altitude, but once the tanks got down
to 1000 PSI I could use them with the welder and cutting torch. With
the Cutting torch or "Rosebud" tip you go through O2 in a hurry.

-Dan

(Wondering if Santa is going to deliver a plane that will allow me to
finally start worrying about needing supplementary oxygen. Probably not,
but one can dream. :-) )

If you fly at night, or above 5 or 6,000 feet it might be worth while
considering now. :-))

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old December 26th 04, 12:27 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Roger wrote:

Although he recommends storing the tanks laying down, some regulations
may require storing them upright and safety chained to prevent falling
over.

Any idea why upright is a good idea? I've always heard it's safer, but never
heard a reason why that would be true.

One thing he didn't mention about transportation: Never, move or
transport a high pressure cylinder without the screw on cap in place!

Neither of my tanks (neither acetylene nor oxygen) has provision for a cap.
Unfortunately.

George Patterson
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.
Old December 26th 04, 12:35 AM
rocky

G.R. Patterson III wrote:

Roger wrote:

Although he recommends storing the tanks laying down, some regulations
may require storing them upright and safety chained to prevent falling
over.

Any idea why upright is a good idea? I've always heard it's safer, but never
heard a reason why that would be true.

One thing he didn't mention about transportation: Never, move or
transport a high pressure cylinder without the screw on cap in place!

Neither of my tanks (neither acetylene nor oxygen) has provision for a cap.
Unfortunately.

George Patterson
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.

Storing tanks upright puts the thickest part of the tank (the bottom)
exactly where any moisture will settle. Thus giving the tank a much
longer life span against rusting thru.

Old December 26th 04, 02:49 AM
Roger

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 00:27:29 GMT, "G.R. Patterson III"
wrote:

Roger wrote:

Although he recommends storing the tanks laying down, some regulations
may require storing them upright and safety chained to prevent falling
over.

Any idea why upright is a good idea? I've always heard it's safer, but never
heard a reason why that would be true.

One thing he didn't mention about transportation: Never, move or
transport a high pressure cylinder without the screw on cap in place!

Neither of my tanks (neither acetylene nor oxygen) has provision for a cap.
Unfortunately.

I didn't think they could sell them without them.
Tanks have had to have that provision for years. OTOH there are a lot
of lost caps floating around... some where.

The acetylene and Oxygen tanks on my welding cart both have the caps,
but you'd never be able to put them on with the regulators in place.
Still, when in the cart they are pretty much protected even if the
cart were to tip over. Hasn't yet.

If the Acetylene tank were laying down I think I'd have a problem with
all the acetone coming out the torch tip.

Old December 26th 04, 03:04 AM
Blanche

I thought acetylene had to be stored upright?

Old December 26th 04, 04:21 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Roger wrote:

I didn't think they could sell them without them.

I don't remember what they call the sizes of my bottles. The acetylene is about
32" high and maybe 7" or 9" diameter. The oxygen is shorter but about as fat.
Neither has the threaded collar for a cap.

Old December 26th 04, 04:24 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Blanche wrote:

I thought acetylene had to be stored upright?

Well, my bottle gets transported in a horizontal position when I have to take it
on a job, but I've always stored it and used it in a vertical position. I was
told there are safety reasons for that, so I've always done that. I was always
curious as to what those reasons are, though.

Old December 26th 04, 04:44 AM
Morgans

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

rocky wrote:

Storing tanks upright puts the thickest part of the tank (the bottom)
exactly where any moisture will settle. Thus giving the tank a much
longer life span against rusting thru.

Ok -- thanks.

George Patterson

Also, and this is a big one, if the valve were knocked off in a vertical
position and chained, it would hiss very loudly, and not go anywhere.
Horizontal positioned bottles with suddenly removed valves, turn into
rockets, and have been known to leave the area at great rates of speed,
regardless of what obstacles stand in their ways. I have heard of a tank
going through a cement block wall, but I would not doubt that this is an
"urban legend".
--
Jim in NC