Ladies & Gentlemen: Happy Fourth!

Old July 7th 06, 07:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

Default Ladies & Gentlemen: Happy Fourth!

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message
Matt,

You would have to own your own oil well.

BS! Can't you Americans get into your head that there are countries
besides yours? Jeeze!

A little over reacting, perhaps?

That was ONLY a comment on the fact that it would be very expensive to do
the trip.

Jeeze!
--
Jim in NC

Old July 7th 06, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack[_1_]

("Thomas Borchert" wrote)
A landing at Berlin-Tempelhof, the "mother of all airports" (Sir Norman
Foster), well known from Billy Wilders' movie (can't remember the title)
will cost you 100 $ - but it is worth it.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000697/
Billy Wilder

Is this the film? Dad always liked this one, when it came on TV.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055256/
One, Two, Three (1961)
James Cagney

Speaking of German born Directors...

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0943758/
William Wyler isn't bad either :-)

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0943758/bio
Interesting biography of Wyler.

(Not a bad run g)

The Heiress (1949)
Thunderbolt (1947)
The Best Years of Our Lives (1946)
The Memphis Belle: A Story of a Flying Fortress (1944)
Mrs Miniver (1942)

"In June of 1944 he permanently lost the hearing in his right ear while
filming a bombing mission from a B-17."

Trivia for: The Fighting Lady (1944)
The film follows the WWII exploits of the Essex-class aircraft carrier USS
Yorktown (CV-10) (unidentified in the film), in its first major operations
following its commissioning in 1943.

"In the scene of a strafing mission against the Japanese-held island of
Truk, one of the figures seen running for cover is an American POW.
According to his autobiography, that prisoner was Maj. 'Gregory H. 'Pappy'
Boyington' , the highest-scoring U.S. Marine pilot of the war, who had been
shot down a few months before in the Solomon Islands."

"...was an assistant director on the original Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ
(1925) and 34 years later directed its remake, Ben-Hur (1959)."

"I made over forty Westerns. I used to lie awake nights trying to think up
new ways of getting on and off a horse."

Montblack

Old July 7th 06, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross Richardson[_1_]

Default Flying in Europe (Was: Ladies & Gentlemen: Happy Fourth!)

I took a one hour flight in a Warrior out of southern England in the
early '90s. It was expensive due to the fuel costs then. I couldn't
imagine what the hourly costs would be now.

Ross
KSWI

Jay Honeck wrote:

As much as I know you love to fly, unless you have a very big block of time
(to take VFR delays into consideration) I wouldn't recommend it. It is
impossible to beat an unlimited 30 day Eurorail pass. You get to go
whenever you want, it is quick and on time, night or day, and it seems there
is always a train to get you where you want to go. I could see getting 1/2
the things seen, flying vs. train-ing.

I've heard the same thing, Jim -- but the poster seems to think that
the flying in Europe is easy and doable.

I'm prepared to let him explain himself -- heck, maybe Mary and I could
actually do a similar flight around Europe, like we've done so many
times before in America? THAT would look pretty cool in the ol'
logbook...

Besides -- I find trains fun, but...well, they're *trains*.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 7th 06, 08:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

There are just two difficult things:

1. You'd have to study the regs a little, as they differ from country to
country and from the US.

Do the rules differ in any real way, or are they just goofy little
regulatory differences that have no immediate impact on most real
flights. (For example, if Belgium's VFR cloud restrictions are
different than France's, it's just a "gotcha" on a test, rather than
anything "real".)

What does a rental checkout involve? Will (for example) a German FBO
be comfortable renting Mary and me an airplane for a week? How about
if they know I'm going to fly outside of Germany?

2. You'd have to pay more than you are used to.

Okay, so it sounds like renting a plane for a flight around Europe will
cost at least 100% more than flying Atlas here in the States.

Sound about right?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 7th 06, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 12:00:11 -0500, "Gig 601XL Builder"
wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net wrote in
::

BS! Can't you Americans get into your head that there are countries
besides yours? Jeeze!

Sure we can. They just aren't important.

Oh brother! Get your head out of the sand. :-(
Old July 7th 06, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 12:25:25 -0600, Newps wrote
in ::

Where else in the world can a pilot be shot down for flying within a
38 mile radius of his nation's capital?

At least a dozen places.

Out of how many nations in our world?

Thanks for making my point. Osama has taken a much greater toll on
our freedoms than in a few minutes than any foreign power in history.
A considerably more enlightened president than our current puppet once
admonished the American people about acting out of fear. Why can't
our elected officials remember, and take heed? If we don't fix the
educational system in the US, we're doomed to devolution.

Old July 7th 06, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 13:27:49 -0500, "Gig 601XL Builder"
wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net wrote in
::

The can't take a joke syndrome shows itself.

To denote sarcasm in this forum, please append a :-) after your
statement. Otherwise your words will be taken literally.
Old July 7th 06, 09:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Jay,

Do the rules differ in any real way, or are they just goofy little
regulatory differences that have no immediate impact on most real
flights. (For example, if Belgium's VFR cloud restrictions are
different than France's, it's just a "gotcha" on a test, rather than
anything "real".)

They differ from the US in a substantial way, they differ within Europe in
small, but sometimes important ways. For example, in Spain, every VFR flight
needs to file a flight plan. Also, you need to file for cross-border
flights, although within EU countries that have signed the Schengen accord,
there's neither passport nor customs control. Jeppesen published VFR manuals
here, called Bottlang manuals. They offer one-time trip kits which list the
differences from ICAO standard.

What does a rental checkout involve? Will (for example) a German FBO
be comfortable renting Mary and me an airplane for a week? How about
if they know I'm going to fly outside of Germany?

Pretty much the same as in the US. They want to know you can fly (from
grass, too, since most fields are turf - well kept turf, though). They want
to know you are familiar enough with the regs. English in the radio is not a
problem, except in France ;-) As for the weekly rental, they would probably
want daily minimums, just as in the US. However, if you make a connection
through one of the Europeans here, that would probably make it easier. As
for flying outside Germany, they would want to know the rough itinerary, but
otherwise it is no problem. There are higher insurance coverages required in
some countries, but they are covered with the usual FBO insurance. For
example, the Danish raised theirs to exactly 18 million Danish Crowns after
a plane crashed into a factory, the insurance wouldn't pay that much and the
state had to pick up 18 million. Kind of funny.

Okay, so it sounds like renting a plane for a flight around Europe will
cost at least 100% more than flying Atlas here in the States.

When I rent in the US, I pay about 90 to 100 $ for a beat-up Cessna. You'd
pay a little less than double that, yes.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 7th 06, 09:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Montblack,

Is this the film? Dad always liked this one, when it came on TV.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055256/
One, Two, Three (1961)

Yep, that's the one. Couldn't imagine that the title was translated to German
literally, so I didn't dare translate it back.

Speaking of German born Directors...

Well, as with so many German scientists, artists et cetera working in the US,
they were mostly of course Jews that had fled Germany because of the Nazis.
The intellectual loss to Germany was immense, of course. The Barbarians ruled.
And the majority of Germans supported them. Sad.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 7th 06, 10:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Do the rules differ in any real way, or are they just goofy little
regulatory differences that have no immediate impact on most real
flights. (For example, if Belgium's VFR cloud restrictions are
different than France's, it's just a "gotcha" on a test, rather than
anything "real".)

Jay, this =would be= something real. The point of VFR cloud
restrictions is to give IFR traffic a chance to see you when they pop
out, and you them. If you are where they don't expect you, this is as
real as coming straight in NORDO to an uncontrolled field - a pet peeve
of yours.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.