OSH - the chair thing

Old July 22nd 03, 10:43 AM
Montblack

Default OSH - the chair thing

A little longish - sorry.

Oshkosh question from a first timer: Staying at the dorm, will have car
available - if needed.

I want to sit on a (2) regular stackable plastic deck chairs and watch
planes depart after the air show, etc - I heard this is the real show g.
Two chairs works good for me, elevating my bad leg on one of the chairs.

Are these OK to bring in? At the PGA Championship last year in Minnesota, I
noticed the signs that stated they only allowed armless folding/portable
chairs. Different deal, but there it is - chair rules.

So, how might I get these two stackable plastic chairs "in" and set aside
for use later on in the day? Is this a practical idea? I've got 4 of these
chairs that someone put out in my neighborhood, on trash day, so I could
care less if I return home with them. I would like to use the chairs (x2)
throughout each day, for getting off my feet, and getting my one leg
elevated.

Any ideas on how to go about this. Portable folding chairs are NOT an
option - I hate them and they hate me.

My thought is to just carry them in through the gates, on my first day, and
wing it from there. I'm thinking I'll "share" them with some vendor booth,
then circle back and pick em up from time to time.

I'm ok just sitting (one leg up) and people watching for an hour, three
times a day.

When, and where, should I go for the post air show ...departure show? (I'll
be the guy carrying two plastic stackable chairs - if they haven't found a
new owner by that time in the day)

Bus rides with plastic deck chairs shouldn't be a problem, I'll tape a blue
handicap sign on the stackable chairs and show the driver my scar. Driver
won't argue with "the scar".

So Oshkosh veterans, how would you do the Montblack chair thing? Thanks.

--
Montblack

Old July 22nd 03, 02:27 PM
john smith

Personally, I think you would be better off with a folding chair with a
built in foot rest.
Carrying two stackable chairs will be problematic.
An alternative is to leave the chairs with one of us on this usegroup
that will be camping with our airplanes near the spot you want to watch
the airplanes from. I have already told other friends of mine that they
are welcome to leave their chairs at my airplane while they are walking
around the other parts of the airport. You are welcome to leave them if
I am camped near where you want to watch.
Old July 22nd 03, 03:15 PM
Jim Weir

The only problem with that, John, is that those deck chairs make the damndest
wind dams in a good ripper of a thunderstorm that you can imagine. Folding
chairs aren't bad, in that you can put them flat on the ground and the odds of
them blowing about isn't all that bad. I've had to fetch a couple of my deck
chairs out of the neighbors yard a time or two, and that involves them snaking
about the shrubbery and pine limbs to get that far.

Can't you just imagine the damage those plastic tumbleweeds could cause if they
get up a full head of steam before being stopped by somebody's airplane?

Jim

john smith

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old July 22nd 03, 05:14 PM
John Galban

"Montblack" wrote in message ...
A little longish - sorry.

snip
So Oshkosh veterans, how would you do the Montblack chair thing? Thanks.

After reading your post, all I could think about was those late
night TV commercials. Yes, Montblack, you need a Rascal!!!

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old July 22nd 03, 06:51 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Ron Natalie wrote:

Unattended chairs are rounded
up and moved to the point shacks (the plywood buildings out on the flight line)
and eventually to longer term storage.

So, Montblack - it appears that the EAA has plenty of them. Don't bother
taking your own - just head over to one of those plywood shacks at the
end of the day and say "Any of you guys seen a couple of chairs? Somebody
stole mine."

George Patterson
The optimist feels that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The
pessimist is afraid that he's correct.
James Branch Cavel
Old July 22nd 03, 07:57 PM
Ron Natalie

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message ...
\

So, Montblack - it appears that the EAA has plenty of them. Don't bother
taking your own - just head over to one of those plywood shacks at the
end of the day and say "Any of you guys seen a couple of chairs? Somebody
stole mine."

That will probably work. There are usually a few in there :-)

Old July 24th 03, 06:20 PM
Margy Natalie

Montblack wrote:

So, how might I get these two stackable plastic chairs "in" and set aside
for use later on in the day?

I think you can get them in, but they will have to be supervised all day. As
Jim mentioned they become dangerous to airplanes and others when left
unattended outside. If you can find someone in advance to babysit them that
would work. There are other alternatives to carrying your own. There are
places to sit if you can talk your way into one of them (most are picnic
benches). We have a picnic area at the ops shack in vintage and there is a
nice porch on the acrobatics groups building. If you do bring your chairs find
someone to babysit them during the day.

Margy

Old July 24th 03, 07:16 PM
Montblack

Thanks for the reply.

If the dorm room doesn't sell ...I might then attend. Price it high enough
and it won't sell!! g

As of now, I've been *told* I am a no-go for Oshkosh.

If I go, I will bring chairs and stake them down. Practiced the tie down
last night in the front yard - and yes, a screw in dog stake, with much
rope, works great for plastic chairs.

--
Montblack

(Margy Natalie wrote)
snip
If you do bring your chairs find someone to babysit them during the day.

Old July 24th 03, 07:58 PM
Ron Natalie

"Montblack" wrote in message news:3f2020d7$0$168
If I go, I will bring chairs and stake them down. Practiced the tie down
last night in the front yard - and yes, a screw in dog stake, with much
rope, works great for plastic chairs.

Find some friendly aircraft owner and ask if you can stake them down in
his campsite.

Even staked down chairs found elsewhere are liable to be removed. We don't
mess with what campers do with their campsites, within reason. (The guy that
was lighting his barbecue by draining the fuel sump directly into the smouldering
grill was another story...)

Old July 24th 03, 08:19 PM
Montblack

(Ron Natalie wrote)
snip
(The guy that
was lighting his barbecue by draining the fuel sump directly into the

smouldering
grill was another story...)

Thanks for the chair advise.

As for the barbecue fuel sump guy, I believe the story ...you just can't
make that stuff up.

--
Montblack