TV Interview With Pilot From ADIZ Incident

Old May 25th 05, 07:13 PM
George Patterson

Morgans wrote:

It seems to me that charges could also be filed, for letting a non pilot
manipulate the controls. Since the 70 year old is not a CFI, the student is
just the same as a non pilot, and if he (the student) was PIC, he would be
in violation for taking a passenger with him. Both of these are against
regs, aren't they?

The student cannot carry passengers and so cannot serve as PIC. There is no reg
against allowing non-pilots to manipulate the controls.

George Patterson
"Naked" means you ain't got no clothes on; "nekkid" means you ain't got
no clothes on - and are up to somethin'.
Old May 25th 05, 07:17 PM
George Patterson

Larry Dighera wrote:

If you search for 'Pilot' on the http://video.msn.com/ page, it will
be one of the choices returned.

I really appreciate your efforts, Larry, but that one just redirects me to a
similar "download this software" page --
http://video.msn.com/video/req/req.aspx?rq=11&rf=

Old May 25th 05, 07:21 PM
George Patterson

Greg Farris wrote:
I don't really think we can judge the man on the basis of the video
interview. The highly publicized incident caught the attention of the
fancy lawyer, and from there on the man is a marionette.

I agree with this only if the lawyer isn't charging Mr. Schaeffer for this case.
If Schaeffer is paying for it, he's just a lying sleazeball trying to weasel out
of taking responsibility for his actions.

Old May 25th 05, 08:02 PM
Jose

I really appreciate your efforts, Larry, but that one just redirects me to a similar "download this software" page --
http://video.msn.com/video/req/req.aspx?rq=11&rf=

Not only that, but the software requires an OS upgrade. At least for me.

Jose
--
The price of freedom is... well... freedom.
Old May 25th 05, 08:21 PM
John T

Did anybody else notice the absurdly inaccurate graphic of the DC ADIZ they
used? They were pointing to Andrews Air Force Base as "Dulles" and pointing
to Dulles as "Reagan National". Yet more proof why you can't trust the
"news" to provide accurate "facts".

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/TknoFlyer

Old May 25th 05, 11:07 PM
John Galban

John T wrote:
Did anybody else notice the absurdly inaccurate graphic of the DC ADIZ they
used? They were pointing to Andrews Air Force Base as "Dulles" and pointing
to Dulles as "Reagan National". Yet more proof why you can't trust the
"news" to provide accurate "facts".

They probably consulted with Shaeffer on getting the graphics
correct :-)

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old May 25th 05, 11:07 PM
Neil Gould

Recently, George Patterson posted:

Guillermo wrote:

If I had done that, and had gotten only a one year
suspension, I'd be more than willing to accept that and be very
happy about it.

I'm with you. In fact, if I ever screwed up that badly, I would give
some serious thought to just hanging it up.

Even after they send you the bill for fueling the 2 F-16s, Citation, and
Blackhawk? ;-)

About the student pilot, I don't really know how he didn't think
about that either. 30 hours is not that little.

Maybe. We don't know the circumstances of his training or how far
along he got. Due to problems getting a medical certificate, I didn't
even solo until I had over 40, and he may be in the same boat. Last
time I heard, the average number of hours to get a PPC was over 70.
It's quite possible that he knew nothing about Xcountry flight
planning and just followed along with the planning that Schaeffer was
doing.

Hmm. Doesn't one have to know *something* about x/c planning to pass the
PPC written? Granted, there may be little or no practical experience by 30
hrs., but I'm getting the impression that my training was far too
rigorous!!! ;-)

Neil

Old May 25th 05, 11:26 PM
George Patterson

Neil Gould wrote:

Hmm. Doesn't one have to know *something* about x/c planning to pass the
PPC written?

Yes. So? I took the written one morning and flew my 300 nm cross-country the
same afternoon. IOW, I completed nearly all of my flight training before taking
the test. I've read that about half of the students do things in this order.

Old May 26th 05, 01:37 AM
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 25 May 2005 18:17:05 GMT, George Patterson
wrote in Bi3le.2812$5T2.2748@trnddc01::

Larry Dighera wrote:

If you search for 'Pilot' on the http://video.msn.com/ page, it will
be one of the choices returned.

I really appreciate your efforts, Larry, but that one just redirects me to a
similar "download this software" page --
http://video.msn.com/video/req/req.aspx?rq=11&rf=

You have to have MS Video Enhanced software installed to view the
video. I guess I didn't get that download page you got, because the
software was already installed on my computer.

MSNBC has used every trick in the book it seems. It's just not
possible to get a link to the video by any usual means, and I wasn't
able to find it by perusing IE's cache or the source code either.

This is what it says in the address bar when the video is playing in
IE:
http://video.msn.com/video/p.htm?t=1...c8ca634ff6&rf=

Lot's of good news on the subject he
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/default.asp...ffer&x=25&y=12
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/default.asp...Sheaffer+video
Old May 26th 05, 02:01 AM
buttman

So you're saying that since I now have my FAA liscense, I am no longer
allowed to sit back and enjoy the scenery as a passenger while a friend
of mine acts as PIC?