Passenger Safety (Generic) Briefing Card

Old February 27th 11, 01:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
James Anderson

Default Passenger Safety (Generic) Briefing Card

Looking for input or a card currently being used to brief a passenger
with regards to what is going to happen during take-off/emergencies/
tow/flight/thermaling/pattern/landing. What to touch/not touch in the
cockpit/ etc. Trying to put my thoughts together and would like some
additional input. Do not want to reinvent the wheel if I don't have
to. There was some discussion today during a "Spring Refresher" at
our club wrt this and standardizing the briefing. Of course, in
Florida we haven't stopped flying like the "great white north/mid-west/
northeast/etc. LOL. Your thoughts/suggestions will be welcomed.

r/Jim
Old February 27th 11, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony V

James Anderson wrote:
Looking for input or a card currently being used to brief a passenger.....

sorry, the devil made me do it :-)
http://www.bumpertalk.com/bumpertalk/BC148A.html

Tony LS6-b "6N"
Old February 27th 11, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
James Anderson

On Feb 26, 8:45*pm, Tony V wrote:
James Anderson wrote:
Looking for input or a card currently being used to brief a passenger......

sorry, the devil made me do it :-)http://www.bumpertalk.com/bumpertalk/BC148A.html

Tony LS6-b "6N"

That would work but ... not quite what I was looking for. Though I
have used that when I was younger (another life that was
indestructible) and had a much faster car!
Old February 27th 11, 02:28 PM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Anderson View Post
On Feb 26, 8:45*pm, Tony V wrote:
James Anderson wrote:
Looking for input or a card currently being used to brief a passenger......

sorry, the devil made me do it :-)http://www.bumpertalk.com/bumpertalk/BC148A.html

Tony LS6-b "6N"

That would work but ... not quite what I was looking for. Though I
have used that when I was younger (another life that was
indestructible) and had a much faster car!
You could stand in front of the glider before hook up and do that thing that the flight attendants do before take off, pointing to everything. Really what can you tell a passenger? When I take friends up it's more, "just don't touch anything. Especially that yellow knob."

Walt
Old February 27th 11, 07:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott[_7_]

On 2-27-2011 14:28, Walt Connelly wrote:

When I take friends up it's more,
"just don't touch anything. Especially that yellow knob."

Walt

And make sure they understand Navy protocol regarding "Eject, Eject,
Eject!"

Old February 27th 11, 08:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

On Feb 27, 2:47*pm, Scott wrote:
On 2-27-2011 14:28, Walt Connelly wrote:

When I take friends up it's more, "just don't touch anything. Especially that yellow knob."

Walt

And make sure they understand Navy protocol regarding "Eject, Eject,
Eject!" *

"...and in the unlikely event of a water landing, we'll paddle to the
nearest land mass. If this turns out to be an island, we'll just sit
and think and fret until someone notices and shows up with a boat, a
rope and some big inner tubes."

http://tinyurl.com/6zea5gf

Old February 27th 11, 09:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vontresc

On Feb 27, 2:05*pm, T8 wrote:
On Feb 27, 2:47*pm, Scott wrote:

On 2-27-2011 14:28, Walt Connelly wrote:

When I take friends up it's more, "just don't touch anything. Especially that yellow knob."

Walt

And make sure they understand Navy protocol regarding "Eject, Eject,
Eject!" *

"...and in the unlikely event of a water landing, we'll paddle to the
nearest land mass. *If this turns out to be an island, we'll just sit
and think and fret until someone notices and shows up with a boat, a
rope and some big inner tubes."

http://tinyurl.com/6zea5gf

Actually I don't tell my passengers what the big yellow handle is for.
I've heard too many stories (some actually first hand) of scared
passengers pulling on the release at the wrong time. Normally I have
them pull the release once we get to the top of the tow.

Usually I'll explain how to enter/exit the glider, and how to operate
the canopy first. Then I'll show them the controls and instruments.
After they get in I'll show them how to buckle in, and then tell them
it's another $5 to show them how to undo the seatbelts :-)

Pete
Old February 28th 11, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony V

"...and in the unlikely event of a water landing, we'll paddle to the
nearest land mass. If this turns out to be an island, we'll just sit
and think and fret until someone notices and shows up with a boat, a
rope and some big inner tubes."

http://tinyurl.com/6zea5gf

Since we already have an "Admiral" in our midst (UH), it wouldn't do to
have two. So, Rick (RR) is now "Commodore".

Tony
Old February 28th 11, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Ash

In article ,
Walt Connelly wrote:

James Anderson;763762 Wrote:
On Feb 26, 8:45*pm, Tony V wrote:-
James Anderson wrote:-
Looking for input or a card currently being used to brief a
passenger......-

sorry, the devil made me do it
:-)http://www.bumpertalk.com/bumpertalk/BC148A.html

Tony LS6-b "6N"-

That would work but ... not quite what I was looking for. Though I
have used that when I was younger (another life that was
indestructible) and had a much faster car!

You could stand in front of the glider before hook up and do that thing
that the flight attendants do before take off, pointing to everything.
Really what can you tell a passenger? When I take friends up it's more,
"just don't touch anything. Especially that yellow knob."

At minimum, I tell (and demonstrate) that the spoilers make a loud noise
when they come out and it's nothing to be afraid of, how to close and
lock the canopy, how to strap in, and the three things they are Not
Allowed to Touch in Flight: rope release, canopy release, radio PTT
button.

Additional bonus items are how to adjust the volume on the radio and
vario if they're flying up front, what the instruments have to say, and
other fun tidbits like that.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth
Old March 1st 11, 04:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CindyB[_2_]

On Feb 26, 5:27*pm, James Anderson wrote:
Looking for input or a card currently being used to brief a passenger
with regards to what is going to happen

Passenger Briefing Card concepts

What is the purpose of the flight?
A ride? Briefing One.
A lesson? Briefing Two, as appropriate to the flight lesson plan.

For the first timer passenger, you have to realize they are already
overwhelmed by unvoiced thoughts, worries, adrenaline, anxiety. A
briefing should be simple, encouraging, and upbeat. I find it very
normal to hear stories of telling people –“ don’t this, don’t that...”
and those are the only things they hear, and hence the only things
they recall under duress.

I tell them first – YOU are in command. This flight is for YOU, even
though I have to fly the machine for you. You can choose what we do,
how short the flight might become, when we return and what we will
do. If you are having a good time, we will fly more. If you don’t
like what I do, tell me and I will stop. If I do something you like,
tell me and we can do more of that part! That makes them smile. I
tell them that if I want to fly for myself, I will not take a
passenger along.
You are not SHOWING then what a great pilot you are.
You are NOT showing them how magnificent lift can be.
You are being an ambassador for aviation on this flight. Make them
happy, not you.

Place them in the cockpit; adjust things to be comfortable and secure.
Show them everything that will need to move, controls, trim, canopy
latches. Explain that you are moving these parts from the other
cockpit, that you have all the same controls and instruments, that
they do not need to do anything, else they wish to and you choose to
allow it.

Show them how to stow personal equipment safely. I prefer that
cameras and water bottles get stuffed down the inside of a neckline,
to confine them inside clothing between belts on the chest. It is
accessible (unlike pockets) and secure. Send all extra gear away with
their friends (cell phones, car keys, purses or man bags) telling them
you are making them comfortable in the seat.

In very hot climates like mine, I wrap a wet towel around the nape of
their neck for cooling. There are two schools of thoughts about
discussing airsickness. One is to watch and manage and have a bag
ready, and avoid the subject, and not introduce the thought (my
plan). The other plan is to admit some folks are sensitive to motion,
to advise them to tell you if they notice onset and HAVE a BIG bag. I
have gallon plastic zip-locs, and use them seldom. Don’t launch
without a bag on board with a first timer. The wet towel can be used
for a freshen up, wiping face, hands, and arms if uneasiness begins,
while you are expediting a prompt smooth descent. Often the towel off
will keep them distracted enough to let you land before an eruption.

For a first time ride, I keep instrument discussion to a minimum. I
focus on the countryside and the potential view. Having them look out
precludes motion sensitivity. Don’t let them stare through a video
camera. Motion is too enhanced with a narrow field of view. They may
use a camera without the viewfinder, and it will work out fine. If
they hold any camera, have them clamp elbows on their ribs to keep
lenses off canopies.

I check their straps before I enter the cockpit, typically. At the
last moment, I hold their hands in their lap, and I am the one who
points to jettison lever or release knob, and explain colors and
results that are bad. I was once told that a briefing included,
“Don’t touch things red or dusty.” That still seems to apply, and
elicits a smile and a bit of comic relief.

Then I show them ME grasping pretend straps in front of my chest…..
THIS is where I want you to hold onto, if you get surprised. Show me,
now. And they grasp their chest straps. I gush encouragement and
praise. This is positive reinforcement. And it always works for me.
When things get bumpy or they are unsure, I have a signal I can see
from the rear to know to make mellow and reassuring choices and
conversation.

I spend little discussion on emergency procedures to them. I just
keep up a running litany of what I am doing, why and what will happen
next. After a few minutes of this prep and do process of flight, they
trust that this is not hodge-podge happen stance, that it is all
planned and progressive, and they relax for a great time.

Remember, this whole process began with you wishing to be an
Ambassador for soaring. A checklist is a fine and useful thing,
especially for those persons beginning their ride efforts. It can be
tailored to include more information based on the experience of the
rider. But truly, brief is best. Soaring flight sells itself.

Cindy B
www.caracole-soaring.com