Charging?

Old January 29th 05, 07:31 PM
PaulaJay1

I flew today and got more info - good and bad. First, I took a good volt meter
out and found that the I get 12.6 or so with main turned on (light load) and
13.25 with engine running. Seems the plugin cig lighter volt meter is also
part thermometer :-). The 13.25 is reasonably constant when I vary the load.
eg I turned on the landing lights( about 20 amps) and still 13.25v. So I look
for the regulator to see if there is an adjustment and I CAN'T FIND THE
REGULATOR. I was looking for a rectangular two inch by three inch by two inch
metal box. Nothing. Sure thought it would be on the engine side of the
firewall. Do you suppose that it is built in to the alternator? You can't get
to the alternator very easily on my Archer so I didn't check it very well.

Chuck
Archer 2185B

By the way, the flying today was GREAT. Smooth and clear. Flew over central
Ohio where there was flooding a week or two ago and there is still water (and
ice) all over.

Hmmm, My solid state regulator has an adjustment under a screw that is
removed. I believe it even has arrows to show increase/decrease
direction.

PaulaJay1 wrote:

I have a voltmeter plugin in the cig lighter socket. It reads about 11.5

when
I trun on the master. Reads about 12.8 after engine start and after an

hour
flight has worked up to maybe 13.7 or so. I plan on taking a known

accurate
meter out Sat to check these reading.
My A&P says maybe the alternator needs rebuilt (at about $250). He says

that
the voltage reg is solid state and either works or not - ie no adjustment.
I've had a couple of times when the bat needed a boost, so something is

wrong.
Any comments before I start throwing money at the problem.

Chuck
Archer 2185B

Old January 30th 05, 01:02 AM
Bill J

It has saved me a couple of times. Fully approved by two AIs.

Tyler wrote:

Matt Whiting wrote:

BTIZ wrote:

well.. your original post did say "strapped up against the engine"..
is part of the preflight to make sure the zip ties have not broken or
gotten brittle?
BT

Yes, I'd be worried about carrying it in the engine compartment. Why
not just carry it in baggage compartment?

Matt

Because from the baggage compartment you have to stretch it over the
propeller to get it on (not likely!) - or remove the propeller :-)
whereas if it's already between the engine and the propeller you just
put it over the engine pulley, loosen the alternator, and put it over
the alternator pulley.

Tyler

Old January 30th 05, 02:02 AM
Mike W.

Those voltages you are measuring are normal, the output voltage of the
alternator (13v-14v) is slightly higher than the battery voltage (12v±) so
that it charges.

BTW, what airport do you fly out of, Chuck?

Old January 30th 05, 03:37 PM
PaulaJay1

In article , "Mike W."
writes:

BTW, what airport do you fly out of, Chuck?

I64
Old February 2nd 05, 06:03 AM
David Lesher

Good background page on batteries: