Mystery of crashed glider in Arizona

Old December 7th 09, 11:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

Default Mystery of crashed glider in Arizona

Several of our members have recently been surveying possible landing
strips for our contest database and Steve Koerner came across an old
crashed glider in the Arizona desert.....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3676667...7622824263137/

Registration was N71JR.

V-tail, large flaps, no spoilers. Our best guess so far is some sort
of HP, but the glider construction seems to have been more composite
than aluminum, so this may be off-base.

Suggestions and speculation welcome!

Mike
Old December 7th 09, 11:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

My guess is that it is an HP-18. But I don't remember if HP-18s have a
metal or fiberglass tail boom.

Paul Remde

Old December 8th 09, 12:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

On Dec 7, 2:55*pm, "Paul Remde" wrote:
Hi,

My guess is that it is an HP-18. *But I don't remember if HP-18s have a
metal or fiberglass tail boom.

Paul Remde

"Mike the Strike" wrote in ...

Several of our members have recently been surveying possible landing
strips for our contest database and Steve Koerner came across an old
crashed glider in the Arizona desert.....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3676667...7622824263137/

Registration was N71JR.

V-tail, large flaps, no spoilers. *Our best guess so far is some sort
of HP, but the glider construction seems to have been more composite
than aluminum, so this may be off-base.

Suggestions and speculation welcome!

Mike- Hide quoted text -

The HP-18 fuselage aft of the wing is metal.
Old December 8th 09, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

On Dec 7, 2:55*pm, "Paul Remde" wrote:
Hi,

My guess is that it is an HP-18. *But I don't remember if HP-18s have a
metal or fiberglass tail boom.

Paul Remde

"Mike the Strike" wrote in ...

Several of our members have recently been surveying possible landing
strips for our contest database and Steve Koerner came across an old
crashed glider in the Arizona desert.....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3676667...7622824263137/

Registration was N71JR.

V-tail, large flaps, no spoilers. *Our best guess so far is some sort
of HP, but the glider construction seems to have been more composite
than aluminum, so this may be off-base.

Suggestions and speculation welcome!

Mike- Hide quoted text -

According to the FAA N number registry, it's a Moni that was
registered in 1989, and cancelled in 1992. The acft is shown as
"Destroyed"
http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinqu...=71JR&x=18&y=9

Old December 8th 09, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Noelle Mayes

FAA Site
http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinqu...Numbertxt=71JR
N # was registered to a MONI manufactured by BARRY C VUN CANNON
Reason for Cancel Date 08/21/1992
Reason for Cancellation Destroyed
Record shows it was registered to someone from KANSAS CITY, MISSOURI
Old December 8th 09, 12:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

According to the FAA N number registry, it's a Moni that was
registered in 1989, and cancelled in 1992. *The acft is shown as
"Destroyed"http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?NNumbertxt=...

I don't think it is a Moni (they all had an engine!) and also suspect
it is an earlier ship than 1989 - 1970s vintage is my guess.

Mike
Old December 8th 09, 12:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

On Dec 7, 3:44*pm, Mike the Strike wrote:
According to the FAA N number registry, it's a Moni that was
registered in 1989, and cancelled in 1992. *The acft is shown as
"Destroyed"http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?NNumbertxt=...

I don't think it is a Moni (they all had an engine!) and also suspect
it is an earlier ship than 1989 - 1970s vintage is my guess.

Mike

The owner just probably had a thing for that N Number, V-tails, and
crashing, I guess. Me... I crash something, I'm gonna' try something
different!
Old December 8th 09, 01:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

On Dec 7, 6:44*pm, Mike the Strike wrote:
According to the FAA N number registry, it's a Moni that was
registered in 1989, and cancelled in 1992. *The acft is shown as
"Destroyed"http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?NNumbertxt=...

I don't think it is a Moni (they all had an engine!) and also suspect
it is an earlier ship than 1989 - 1970s vintage is my guess.

Mike

That's no HP-18 for sure, and no HP I recognize.

-Evan Ludeman / T8
Old December 8th 09, 01:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Dec 7, 5:48*pm, Mike the Strike wrote:
Several of our members have recently been surveying possible landing
strips for our contest database and Steve Koerner came across an old
crashed glider in the Arizona desert.....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3676667...7622824263137/

Registration was N71JR.

V-tail, large flaps, no spoilers. *Our best guess so far is some sort
of HP, but the glider construction seems to have been more composite
than aluminum, so this may be off-base.

Suggestions and speculation welcome!

Mike

Well, its sure no Moni or HP-18.
Never saw an HP with a welded tube structure for the gear.
Looks like big landing flaps.
I dunno !
Old December 8th 09, 01:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

"Mike the Strike" wrote in message ...
Several of our members have recently been surveying possible landing
strips for our contest database and Steve Koerner came across an old
crashed glider in the Arizona desert.....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3676667...7622824263137/

Registration was N71JR.

V-tail, large flaps, no spoilers. Our best guess so far is some sort
of HP, but the glider construction seems to have been more composite
than aluminum, so this may be off-base.

Suggestions and speculation welcome!

Mike

I am quite familiar with the Schreder sailplane series. The tail cone appears to be from on of Dick's kits; however, the spars are unlike any that I have seen. The only wings I am not familiar with are the 33 to 1 aspect ratio HP-15 wing and the HP-17 wing. The '17 wing had full-span flaps (no ailerons) and used spoilers for roll control.

It is my understanding that only two HP-15s were built and they both have been re-winged. One has a HP-16 wing and the other a HP-18 wing.

It is my understanding that only one of the HP-17s was built. In 1983 Dick still had it. All Dick's stuff currently is part of the Smithsonian collection or a local Ohio air museum.

Wayne
HP-14 "6F"
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder

IO-540 mystery Paul Tomblin Owning 27 August 31st 07 08:59 PM
glider transport chicago - arizona BB Soaring 0 February 11th 07 01:01 AM
Mystery Propellor M Pengelly Restoration 7 November 1st 04 09:42 PM
GPS Mystery tony roberts Owning 5 February 3rd 04 01:54 AM
Eta crashed Erich Kohlenberger Soaring 33 October 6th 03 11:56 AM