Things To See In FS9

Old August 24th 03, 12:36 AM
Boudewijn van Ingen

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 11:34:19 +0100, Kevin Reilly
wrote:

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 Neil E. Baird wrote:

I don't know whats going on. I must have covered every inch of that island
and still cant find those statues. I cranked up all the settings as high as
they go.

That may be part of the problem. With all settings full I couldn't have
found those heads if they'd been jumping up and down and waving at me.
They blend in too well with the terrain textures and especially the
autogen trees.

Yes, I guess I should have been more specific about this. The real
"Isla de Pascua" (a quite literal translation of "Easter Island")
apparently does not have many trees, as I learned here, just like you
do now.. ;-)

Try turning autogen off, leave other scenery settings on high, then drop
terrain specs (mesh detail, texture size etc.) to minimum. Now fly
SLOWLY around the coast. Once you spot a head you can crank the details
back up.

Alternatively, go to the coordinates in the screen shot:

http://www.denali.org.uk/fs2004/easter.jpg

Indeed, from the runway, you could even taxi to some statues,
following the 'roads'. If you go northeast from the tower, starting a
clockwise tour around the island, you'll find groups of statues every
mile or so.

--
Groeten,
Boudewijn.
Old August 24th 03, 12:41 AM
John Ward

Hi Boudewijn,

Or d/l the Jaguar XK120 car and drive around?

Regards,
John

Old August 24th 03, 01:43 AM
Boudewijn van Ingen

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 09:41:55 +1000, "John Ward"
wrote:

Hi Boudewijn,

Or d/l the Jaguar XK120 car and drive around?

It "skids" around, rather than driving, in my experience. ;-)

But yes, that is an option. ;-)

[snip]

--
Groeten,
Boudewijn.

Old August 26th 03, 08:24 AM
Neil Trotter

In article , Boudewijn van
Ingen said:

Yes, I guess I should have been more specific about this. The real
"Isla de Pascua" (a quite literal translation of "Easter Island")
apparently does not have many trees, as I learned here, just like you
do now.. ;-)

Does anyone here know *why* there are so few trees?

And since at least one person in this thread has found a statue
(upturned), I wonder if should be called Easter Egg Island?

Sometimes I crack myself up.

--
Neil Trotter, Canewdon, UK
Old August 26th 03, 09:25 AM
Al Denelsbeck

Neil Trotter wrote in
:

In article , Boudewijn van
Ingen said:

Yes, I guess I should have been more specific about this. The real
"Isla de Pascua" (a quite literal translation of "Easter Island")
apparently does not have many trees, as I learned here, just like you
do now.. ;-)

Does anyone here know *why* there are so few trees?

The consensus at this point seems to be "because they were all cut
down".

If you dig around at
http://jcolavito.tripod.com/lostcivilizations/id12.html, you can find some
mention of the tree issue. Best to ignore everyting related to the nutcase
von Daniken (repeatedly misspelled on this page).

With trees on the island, moving and erecting the statues becomes
less of a mystery.

- Al.

--
To reply, insert dash in address to separate G and I in the domain
Old September 20th 03, 10:41 AM
Mark Cherry

In . ca,
Bill Irvine wrote:

Rapanui:
http://www2s.biglobe.ne.jp/~ito-nori/e11.htm
Easter Island is one of the most isolated places on Earth. The island
is over 3,000Km far from nearest lands, Tahiti and Chile.

Sorry to quibble about the definition of 'nearest land' but Sala-y-Gomez island
is less than 5° away (~300nm), to the east; Ducie Island is about 15° to the
west. Then you've got Pitcairn Island, Totegegie (which has an NDB on it) and
the islands of the Tuamoto ridge between there and Tahiti. For literal
remoteness, maybe Ascension Island (which has an airbase), or Bouvetoya
(Antarctic Ocean, approx S55 E003:30) could give it a run for its money?

In as far as Easter Island's neighbouring isles being inaccessable by air, to
all but helicopters and only then if they've got the range, then you've got a
point.

fs9: SCIP Mataveria, 11000' runway Isla de Pascua; S27*09 W109*26

Landed there not so long ago on a RTW flight, in FS98. Quite a long drag, from
Santiago, even in a 757. FWIW, the stone heads have been present in the default
scenery since FS98, AFAIK.

--
regards,

Mark

Old September 20th 03, 10:41 AM
Mark Cherry

In ,
Kevin Reilly wrote:

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 Neil E. Baird wrote:

I don't know whats going on. I must have covered every inch of that
island and still cant find those statues. I cranked up all the
settings as high as they go.

That may be part of the problem. With all settings full I couldn't
have found those heads if they'd been jumping up and down and waving
at me. They blend in too well with the terrain textures and
especially the autogen trees.

Trees? On Easter Island? ROFL The curse of auto-gen!

To quote the back of the box :-
"As you fly above cities, towns and phot-realistic airports, you'll see dramatic
landscapes and vegetation taking shape that are *true to the native terrain*"
{my emphasis}. Somebody hasn't done their research.

As any documentary addict (me, for instance) will tell you, there ain't no trees
left on Easter Island. The indigenous people cut them all down, probably to roll
statues from place to place on, until there were no trees left. (Statue building
had become an inter-tribal competitive sport, the experts reckon). By the time
Captain Cook got there, most of them had starved to death. The remainder were
basically at war and/or eating each other because they couldn't make boats, or
even simple dugout canoes to go fish from.

I wonder what happens with auto-gen as you fly through the Brazilian rain
forest?

I apologize for this post being of no technical assistance whatsoever but I
couldn't help myself.

--
regards,

Mark

Old September 20th 03, 12:44 PM
paul s

Mark Cherry wrote:
In ,
Kevin Reilly wrote:

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 Neil E. Baird wrote:

I don't know whats going on. I must have covered every inch of that
island and still cant find those statues. I cranked up all the
settings as high as they go.

That may be part of the problem. With all settings full I couldn't
have found those heads if they'd been jumping up and down and waving
at me. They blend in too well with the terrain textures and
especially the autogen trees.

Trees? On Easter Island? ROFL The curse of auto-gen!

To quote the back of the box :-
"As you fly above cities, towns and phot-realistic airports, you'll
see dramatic landscapes and vegetation taking shape that are *true to
the native terrain*" {my emphasis}. Somebody hasn't done their
research.

And there's trees in Antartica, I've seen them in FS. Autogen at it's
best...NOT!

As any documentary addict (me, for instance) will tell you, there
ain't no trees left on Easter Island. The indigenous people cut them
all down, probably to roll statues from place to place on, until
there were no trees left. (Statue building had become an inter-tribal
competitive sport, the experts reckon). By the time Captain Cook got
there, most of them had starved to death. The remainder were
basically at war and/or eating each other because they couldn't make
boats, or even simple dugout canoes to go fish from.

I wonder what happens with auto-gen as you fly through the Brazilian
rain forest?

Icebergs and Glaciers??

Old September 20th 03, 02:49 PM
Kevin Reilly

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 Mark Cherry wrote:

Trees? On Easter Island? ROFL The curse of auto-gen!

Well to be fair there are one or two scattered around. Probably planted
quite recently by resort owners and well-meaning environmentalists but
they are there. Some good photos at http://www.islandheritage.org/

But granted it's nothing like the virtual forest that FS renders. Maybe
there's a wishful-thinking tree-hugger on the FS scenery team?

--
Kev
"Because elderly people find it difficult to climb the hill at Castle