Longest wearing 5.50 tires

Old August 13th 04, 10:32 AM
Doug

Default Longest wearing 5.50 tires

I need some 5.50 tires and I want Loooong wearing, as the labor is
high. Don't care much about price of the tire. Any suggestions?
Old August 13th 04, 01:45 PM
Al Marzo

Michelin

Old August 13th 04, 02:04 PM
rip

You might contact Desser Tire about retreads. A retread generally has
thicker treads, and can use a harder rubber compound. Cheaper, too.

Old August 13th 04, 03:45 PM
Mike Rapoport

I have found the longest wearing tires to be Desser's retreads. They are
the cheapest too.

Mike
MU-2
Helio Courier

om...

Old August 15th 04, 02:17 PM
Lou Parker

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message hlink.net...
I have found the longest wearing tires to be Desser's retreads. They are
the cheapest too.

Mike
MU-2
Helio Courier

"Doug" wrote in message
om...
I need some 5.50 tires and I want Loooong wearing, as the labor is
high. Don't care much about price of the tire. Any suggestions?

How long is long?

Old August 15th 04, 07:01 PM
Jim Weir

A. Agreed, and if you can have somebody save some parTICularly nice casings,
they will retread YOUR casing rather than a random casing. I'm waiting until
the local flight school goes through one more Michelin and I'll have a full set
of Michelin casings to send down for retread. Then when I get them back, the
Goodyear Flight Customs that I've got on there now will go down.

B. Watch CAREFULLY if you use them on a retractible gear aircraft. The rubber
is just enough thicker that them may jam in the well if it is a particularly
tight fit.

Jim

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old September 8th 04, 04:19 AM
Bruce A. Frank

BUT, though I like retreads the sidewalls have already received a
lifetimes worth of UV exposure. On planes that sit a lot the natural
sidewall checking gets worse and worse and can eventually crack through
the cord. If you fly a lot and go through a pair of tires in a year it
can be a good investment. If the plane wears tires out every 5 years the
retread might not be a good investment.

--
Bruce A. Frank, Editor "Ford 3.8/4.2L Engine and V-6 STOL
Homebuilt Aircraft Newsletter"