HE-111 crashes

Old July 11th 03, 07:32 AM
Ron

Default HE-111 crashes

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Central/0...mber.crash.ap/

CHEYENNE, Wyoming (AP) -- A World War II-era German bomber en route to an air
show crashed into a building under construction Thursday, killing the pilot and
his passenger, police said.

Witnesses said they heard a sputtering sound shortly before the twin-engine
HE-111 plowed through a chain link fence and slammed into the brick structure,
igniting a fire that lasted an hour, police Lt. Robert Korber said.

A construction worker who was inside the building -- an unfinished school bus
washing facility -- fled and escaped injury, said Tom Rooney of the Laramie
County school district.

The bomber was the last of its kind known to be flying in the world, said Tina
Corbett, spokeswoman for the Commemorative Air Force.

The plane belonged to the Arizona wing of the organization, which flies and
restores World War II aircraft. The plane was en route from Midland, Texas, to
an air show in Montana when the pilot reported engine failure, Corbett said.

The identities of the pilot and passenger were being withheld until their
families could be notified.

"The plane came down in a field," Korber said. "We're just grateful (the pilot)
probably made the decision that he saw a residential area in front of him and
decided to put it down where there were not a lot of houses, or this could have
been much, much worse."

Old July 11th 03, 02:52 PM
Jim Atkins

Being a true lover of the sound of old airplanes flying, it pains me to say
this but isn't it time to stop flying irreplaceable and one-of-a-kind
planes? Every one lost is lost forever. Maybe it's time to face up to the
reality that aviation is fundamentally dangerous, and there is a risk
involved in flying the old birds. At some point we have to retire the old
beauties to a museum because if we don't, a history-making piece of
craftsmanship will be lost forever.

I know all of you out there join me in sending thoughts, prayers and
condolences to the families of the good men killed.
--
Jim Atkins
Twentynine Palms CA USA

Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
- Groucho Marx

Old July 11th 03, 03:56 PM
NATrainer

Fly is dangerous, but then again so is living.
The North American Trainer Association is a (501)[c]3 association dedicated to
the restoration, preservation and safe flying of all North American Aviation
built trainer aircraft (AT-6, SNJ, Harvard, NA-64, T-28, TF-51, TB-25). Dues
are $45.00 per year US
Old July 11th 03, 08:22 PM
Jake McGuire

"Jim Atkins" wrote in message . net...
Being a true lover of the sound of old airplanes flying, it pains me to say
this but isn't it time to stop flying irreplaceable and one-of-a-kind
planes? Every one lost is lost forever. Maybe it's time to face up to the
reality that aviation is fundamentally dangerous, and there is a risk
involved in flying the old birds. At some point we have to retire the old
beauties to a museum because if we don't, a history-making piece of
craftsmanship will be lost forever.

The article seemed to imply that this was the last *flying* He-111,
not the last one in existence. Putting it in a museum would just as
surely have reduced the number of flying He-111s to zero as augering
it into a cornfield did.

Two more people would be alive today, but I'm quite sure that they
knew the risks of flying a 60 year old aircraft and so I am not
willing to tell them that they made a mistake.

I say keep them flying.

-jake
Old July 11th 03, 08:41 PM
Jim Atkins

Yes, it reduces the number of flying examples. But in a museum, at least you
have it to look at and photograph, instead of a smoking heap. These planes
are close to 60 years old, and the real things will never come back. There
is a time when they are too valuable to risk. I love the old birds too, but
we have to make a choice. I'd rather my grandchildren get to see one in the
flesh, instead of showing them a picture and telling them what a tragedy the
crash was.

Old July 11th 03, 09:13 PM
av8r

Hi

I wish people would get their facts straight. It was not a Heinkel
He-111. It was a licence-built He-111H constructed by the Spanish firm
C.A.S.A. and designated the C.A.S.A. 2111 H-16. The most obvious
features are the pair of Rolls Royce Merlins in place of the Daimler
Benz inverted 'V' inline engines.

Cheers...Chris

Old July 11th 03, 10:16 PM
Patrick Marsden

362436 (Ron) wrote in message ...
http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Central/0...mber.crash.ap/

CHEYENNE, Wyoming (AP) -- A World War II-era German bomber en route to an air
show crashed into a building under construction Thursday, killing the pilot and
his passenger, police said.

I saw this aircraft at an airshow in Leesburg, VA a couple of years
ago. There was a 50 meter line of people waiting to get inside and
look around. In hindsight, I should have waited, but I took a couple
of pictures and walked away. Terrible shame to loose a crew and a
unique relic like that.

Patrick,
Old July 11th 03, 10:18 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Jim Atkins" wrote in message
et...
Being a true lover of the sound of old airplanes flying, it pains me to

say
this but isn't it time to stop flying irreplaceable and one-of-a-kind
planes?

Maybe but the crashed He-111 was neither irreplaceable or one of a kind.

Every one lost is lost forever. Maybe it's time to face up to the
reality that aviation is fundamentally dangerous, and there is a risk
involved in flying the old birds. At some point we have to retire the old
beauties to a museum because if we don't, a history-making piece of
craftsmanship will be lost forever.

There are lots of He-111's in museums but an aircraft in a museum
isnt an aircraft anymore, its the preserved corpse of one. Only in
the sky can you really appreciate what it was built for.

I know all of you out there join me in sending thoughts, prayers and
condolences to the families of the good men killed.

Sure but the LAST thing those good men would want is that war birds
be stopped from flying.

Keith

Old July 12th 03, 06:40 AM
Bill Shatzer

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003, Keith Willshaw wrote:

-snips-

There are lots of He-111's in museums but an aircraft in a museum
isnt an aircraft anymore, its the preserved corpse of one. Only in
the sky can you really appreciate what it was built for.

Bygawd, let's tear down the Wright Flyer from the ceiling of the
Smithsonian and let that baby FLY again! It's jest a "preserved
corpse" while hanging there from the ceiling.

I seem to recall the Smithsonian is sitting on the Enola Gay and
the Winnie Mae as well. Return 'em to the air!

If we lose one or two or more of 'em along the way, well, bygawd, at least
they won't be "preserved corpses"!

Cheers and all,

Old July 12th 03, 06:53 AM
N329DF

Bygawd, let's tear down the Wright Flyer from the ceiling of the
Smithsonian and let that baby FLY again! It's jest a "preserved
corpse" while hanging there from the ceiling.

no it is the ONLY one, the FIRST plane, and as such it is where it deserves to
be.

I seem to recall the Smithsonian is sitting on the Enola Gay and
the Winnie Mae as well. Return 'em to the air!

NO again, there ARE historical planes are are where they deserve to be, now if
you want to fly another B-29 in th Enola Gay markings, that is different, it is
not the original, but a replica.

The He-111 that crashed, may have been the only one flying, but it is not the
ONLY He-111 in the world, and to get nit picky, it was not a He-111, but a CASA
1112, a post-war Spanish built, transport powered by RR Merlins.

Matt Gunsch,
A&P,IA,Private Pilot
Riding member of the
Arizona Precision Motorcycle Drill Team