HE-111 crashes

Old July 12th 03, 02:26 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Bill Shatzer" wrote in message

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003, Keith Willshaw wrote:

-snips-

There are lots of He-111's in museums but an aircraft in a museum
isnt an aircraft anymore, its the preserved corpse of one. Only in
the sky can you really appreciate what it was built for.

Bygawd, let's tear down the Wright Flyer from the ceiling of the
Smithsonian and let that baby FLY again! It's jest a "preserved
corpse" while hanging there from the ceiling.

I seem to recall the Smithsonian is sitting on the Enola Gay and
the Winnie Mae as well. Return 'em to the air!

If there was more than one of each I might agree with that,
indeed I seem to recall that there's at least one B-29 flying
with the CAF

If we lose one or two or more of 'em along the way, well, bygawd, at least
they won't be "preserved corpses"!

In some cases all you can have is the preserved corpse, which is
second best to be sure. The Shuttleworth Collection however
manages to conserve and fly both genuine and replica aircraft
of the WW1 period including a 1909 Bleriot XI , a 1910 Deperdussin
and a Bristol Boxkite replica

These aircraft only fly in perfect conditions but fly they do and
more genuinely evoke the era than any dusty piece in a museum.

Keith

Old July 13th 03, 10:07 PM
Marc Reeve

Keith Willshaw wrote:
"Jim Atkins" wrote in message
et...
Yes, it reduces the number of flying examples. But in a museum, at least
you have it to look at and photograph, instead of a smoking heap. These
planes are close to 60 years old, and the real things will never come
back. There is a time when they are too valuable to risk. I love the old
birds too, but we have to make a choice. I'd rather my grandchildren get
to see one in the flesh, instead of showing them a picture and telling
them what a tragedy the crash was.

But there are examples in museums.

The aircraft was NOT one of a kind.

As someone else pointed out, it wasn't even one of the kind it was
claimed to be, being a Spanish-build CASA 211. As I recall it was of
postwar construction and powered by (semi-ironically) Merlins.

It was nice to have a "He-111" flying around to airshows, and it is sad
that the owner/pilot and passenger were killed in the crash.

But as someone said, it was a privately owned aircraft and the owner was
doing what he loved when the crash occurred.

-Marc

--
Marc Reeve
actual email address after removal of 4s & spaces is