Electric trim switch -- source?

Old July 12th 07, 03:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Default Electric trim switch -- source?

Anyone know where I can get my hands on a serviceable electric trim
switch for my '74 Pathfinder?

Mine's been erratic for years, but could usually be made to work
properly with a shot or two of contact cleaner -- but no more. It
still works fine in the "nose down" direction, but not at all in the
"up" direction.

Piper wants an absurd amount for this part, new. Anyone got an
alternative?

Thanks!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 12th 07, 03:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
BT

Google search for aircraft junk yards and salvage yards and see if they can
come up with one.

BT

ups.com...

Old July 12th 07, 03:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Google search for aircraft junk yards and salvage yards and see if they can
come up with one.

What would it take to make use of a new alternative?

Someone on the Cherokee Chat suggested using a Seneca trim switch
(it's apparently more plentiful and cheaper), and another suggested
using the trim switch that's for sale in Aircraft Spruce and having an
IA sign it off.

Would I need a field approval for a different switch?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 12th 07, 12:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
dave

Is the original switch manufacturer's name and part number on the
switch? Some folks have had good luck sourcing similar parts from the
primary manufacturer through mouser.
Dave
M35

Old July 12th 07, 12:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Viperdoc[_4_]

Of course, in reality, even soldering in a replacement switch should be done
by an approved avionics installer, and signed off in the log book.
However...

Old July 12th 07, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Of course, in reality, even soldering in a replacement switch should be done
by an approved avionics installer, and signed off in the log book.
However...

Actually, I'm not opposed to paying a tech to do that. My A&P, God
bless him, has fingers the size of bananas, and soldering little-teeny
wires is not his forte...

Right now, I'd just like to know a source for a replacement (exact or
equivalent) switch. They're scarce as hen's teeth...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 12th 07, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ross

Jay Honeck wrote:
Of course, in reality, even soldering in a replacement switch should be done
by an approved avionics installer, and signed off in the log book.
However...

Actually, I'm not opposed to paying a tech to do that. My A&P, God
bless him, has fingers the size of bananas, and soldering little-teeny
wires is not his forte...

Right now, I'd just like to know a source for a replacement (exact or
equivalent) switch. They're scarce as hen's teeth...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

http://www.asod.com/

A local salvage shop in the Dallas area. I have used them before and
been satisfied.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old July 12th 07, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

http://www.asod.com/

A local salvage shop in the Dallas area. I have used them before and
been satisfied.

Thanks, Ross. Just got off the phone with Tony -- no dice.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 12th 07, 08:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dave S

Air Salvage of Dallas
www.asod.com

I've found all sorts of nice things there.
Dave

Old July 13th 07, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
John Kunkel

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ups.com...
Anyone know where I can get my hands on a serviceable electric trim
switch for my '74 Pathfinder?

If the switch is the same as my Arrow II was it is actually just a bracket
that holds two individual Micro switches (thumb rocker depresses one for
nose down, the other for nose up) that can be replaced with like switches
from any source that carries them.

Electric trim Bruce McFadden Owning 2 March 28th 07 02:49 PM
Source for PA28-180 split master switch Mike Noel Owning 3 October 5th 05 02:29 AM
Electric Trim Jon Woellhaf Piloting 3 October 4th 05 02:31 PM
Mooney Electric Trim Problem [email protected] Owning 2 September 5th 05 06:16 PM
Cherokee Electric Pitch Trim Jonathan Goodish Owning 4 November 18th 04 02:43 AM