Wi-Fi at OSH

Old July 18th 07, 08:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dave Butler

Default Wi-Fi at OSH

I've done a little prep and found some potential wireless hotspots
within about a mile or so of the North 40. Here's my list, in case it's
helpful to anyone else:

Locations on Koeller: from the N40, go W to US41, then N to Koeller.

Fairfield Inn Oshkosh
1800 S Koeller St 920-233-8504

Applebee's Neighborhood Grill and Bar
1700 S Koeller St 920-231-8770

The Cafe at Basic
1622 S. Koeller Street 920-231-1177

The UPS Store #01250
1528a S Koeller Rd 920-231-1623

Starbucks Oshkosh Hwy 41 & 9TH
1150A Koeller Street 920-231-7208

Hawthorn Oshkosh Hotel Suites
3105 S. Washburn Street 920-303-1133
From N40, go W to US41, then S to hotel.

"Hilton Garden Inns has complimentary access available in the hotel
public areas and guestrooms of many locations. Check with each
location for availability."
Old July 19th 07, 10:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
CheckerBird

Any public Wi-Fi hotspots to be available anywhere on the field
itself?

If not, at least I have a Verizon aircard in my laptop, although I'm
wondering about the wisdom of lugging my laptop around in my backpack
all day.

Old July 20th 07, 01:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
john smith[_2_]

In article m,
CheckerBird wrote:

Any public Wi-Fi hotspots to be available anywhere on the field
itself?

If not, at least I have a Verizon aircard in my laptop, although I'm
wondering about the wisdom of lugging my laptop around in my backpack
all day.

I logged onto the Hilton site from the North 40 to check weather radar
before departing last year.
Old July 20th 07, 02:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

I logged onto the Hilton site from the North 40 to check weather radar
before departing last year.

BTW -- this is another priceless thing about Nexrad radar in the
plane. Mary and I will turn on the 496, drink a cup of coffee, and
before we're through we will have more weather information in the
plane than ANY flight service briefer could provide.

I may not be thrilled with Garmin's performance -- but I absolutely
won't fly without weather in the plane again...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 20th 07, 02:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

On Jul 18, 1:35 pm, Dave Butler wrote:
I've done a little prep and found some potential wireless hotspots
within about a mile or so of the North 40. Here's my list, in case it's
helpful to anyone else:

Here's a map of Wi-fi hot spots at AirVentu

http://airventure.org/2007/planning/...i_hotspots.jpg
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 21st 07, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Fry

Speaking of wi-fi and lugging laptops...check out the tablet Nokia
770, now at buy.com
http://www.buy.com/prod/nokia-770-in...204081472.html

I have one from Woot! and it's great for traveling. Load
gizmo-project, a VOIP service like Skype, and you can even make free
or cheap international phone calls.
--
"I don't know anybody that I can think of who has contended that the
Iraqis had nuclear weapons." --Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, June

Old July 21st 07, 03:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Speaking of wi-fi and lugging laptops...check out the tablet Nokia
770, now at buy.comhttp://www.buy.com/prod/nokia-770-internet-tablet-internet-tablet-200...

That's pretty slick. Heck, at that price, we could put one in every
suite...

I'd want a keyboard for my personal use, though...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 27th 07, 01:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Blueskies

770, now at buy.com
http://www.buy.com/prod/nokia-770-in...204081472.html

I have one from Woot! and it's great for traveling. Load
gizmo-project, a VOIP service like Skype, and you can even make free
or cheap international phone calls.
--

Any way it could do GPS?

Old July 27th 07, 03:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Fry

Nokia 770, now at buy.com
http://www.buy.com/prod/nokia-770-in...204081472.html

I have one from Woot! and it's great for traveling. Load
gizmo-project, a VOIP service like Skype, and you can even make
free or cheap international phone calls. --

Blueskies Any way it could do GPS?

Yes. You need a Bluetooth GPS receiver and some extra, free BT drivers
from the Nokia 770 software site. The catch is the mapping program.
The 770 is Linux, so there probably is not an aviation oriented map
for it.

--
You know you've achieved perfection in design, not when you have
nothing more to add, but when you have nothing more to take away.
Old July 28th 07, 09:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Adams[_2_]

Jay Honeck wrote:

On Jul 18, 1:35 pm, Dave Butler wrote:
I've done a little prep and found some potential wireless hotspots
within about a mile or so of the North 40. Here's my list, in case it's
helpful to anyone else:

Here's a map of Wi-fi hot spots at AirVentu

http://airventure.org/2007/planning/...i_hotspots.jpg

So, I'm curious how this new service worked out. Was it free? How was the access from the North 40? I
wasn't there this year, but can see that this would be very handy for email and weather briefings. Then I
suppose the next challenge will be keeping the laptop batteries charged.

Mike