Obit: AC down at KAVP

Old July 26th 03, 05:34 AM
Roger Halstead

Default Obit: AC down at KAVP

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:27:53 -0500, Big John
wrote:

Here is the obit posted in Houston Chronicle 25 July 03
````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````

TOM DELASHAW, 66, FORMER FIGHTER PILOT

Tom Delashaw, a highly decorated USAF fighter pilot who flew more than
300 combat missions during the Vietnam War, was killed in an air crash
Tuesday in Pennsylvania. He was 66.

I didn't realize who he was until I read the call sign below.
He had sent me an e-mail to get a copy of a photo I have on the web.
It was signed "Sharkbait" . I believe he is flying one of the 104s..
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/jets.htm

Unfortunately I lost the e-mail and never did find the address.

Roger

Delashaw, a resident of Conroe (TX), died when the privately owned
Hawker Hunter jet he was flying crashed shortly after takeoff at
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton International Airport.

He was piloting the British made aircraft, which dated from 1957, for
delivery to a purchaser in Montreal, according to Delashaw's son,
Nelson, an Air Force First Lieutenant stationed at Laughlin AFB in Del
Rio (TX). The NTBS is investigating the crash.

Delashaw was an instructor at Aviation Safety Training which trains
airline and corporate pilots in dealing with unexpected or abnormal
flying conditions, said Don Wylie, owner of the firm, which is in
Spring (TX).

"I've been flying for 40 years" Wylie said, "and Tom was literally
unmatched among his peers. He had extremely good judgment and turned
down (flying in) many planes because they didn't measure up."

Delashaw, who flew some 300 missions during two tours of duty in VN,
had never before suffered an injury in flying and had never crashed a
plane, his son said. He also flew missions during the Cuban missile
crisis, his son said.

Delashaw graduated from the Air Force Fighter Weapons School (Nellis
AFB). He later piloted the F-104, Starfighter, and the F-4, Phantom.
His nickname, "Sharkbait", derived from the call sign of his F-4
squadron in SE Asia.

Delashaw boasted of being the "oldest Mach 2 pilot in the world." Mach
2 is twice the speed of sound.

His decorations include the DFC for gallantry in combat in VN and the
Air Medals with clusters.

Delashaw joined the Air Force in 1956 and retired in the late 1980s.

Delashaw also had toured with the Starfighters Airshow Demonstration
Team, which flies F-104 Starfighters.

A native of Amarillo (TX), Delashaw grew up there, graduating from
Amarillo High School in 1955.

Besides his son, Delashaw leaves his wife, Dori, of Conroe; another
son, Thomas Delashaw IV of Amarillo, and a daughter, Georgeanne
Churchman of Amarillo.

Services are pending.

My condolances to the family of a brother Fighter Pilot.

Big John
USAF (Ret)

On 22 Jul 2003 14:19:17 GMT, (VRB300) wrote:

An ac reorted by a witness to be a "privately owned military type ac" went down
after take off. One confirmed dead, other pax condition unknown at present.
Plane reportedly leveled off at low alt and then went into a steep descent
shortly after takeoff. Happened around 9:00 AM today.

Vince

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)