'Notamed closed' question

Old July 24th 03, 05:05 AM
Teacherjh

You can no longer (and haven't been able to in a long time) surrender your
pilot certificate without making a written declaration to that effect.

However, if some bonehead inspector takes it, you're kind of screwed anyhow

All they have to take nowadays is your drivers license... or "government issued
photo ID".

Jose

Old July 24th 03, 05:43 AM
Peter Duniho

"Teacherjh" wrote in message
All they have to take nowadays is your drivers license... or "government

issued
photo ID".

By what authority would they do that? Seems to me, the bogus scenario of
the inspector taking your certficate (which is easily replaced anyway) is
much more likely.

Old July 24th 03, 07:26 AM
Peter Duniho

"Teacherjh" wrote in message
By the same authority they use to "take" your certificate.

In other words, none. Why'd you let them take it then? If an FAA inspector
tried to take MY driver's license, I would try to take it back by force, and
if that didn't work, I'd have the local police arrest the guy.

As for "easily replaced", that doesn't help when you are on a cross

country.
You're just stuck.

Oh, come on. Even if you're not willing to fly without your certificate in
hand, surely you don't expect me to believe you can't get a replacement
faxed to you just because you're on a cross-country flight? I think it's
safe to say, if there's an FAA inspector around, a fax machine can't be far
away.

Pete

Old July 24th 03, 02:35 PM
Dennis O'Connor

Open letter to those who don't know how to handle a fed bozo:
Look, your mother taught you not to talk to strangers or she should have,
didn't she? Wassa matter, you too dense to remember? When some bozo
flashes his crappy ID, you ignore it and him... You don't answer... You
don't maintain eye contact. You don't stop and talk to him absolutely not
one word to indicate he even exists... If he has played a game by
pretending to be another pilot and strikes up a conversation about your
plane and then suddenly flashes an ID, simply shut your mouth and walk away
at that point... Not one more word directed to him...

You keep on doing whatever it is you are doing in my case drinking coffee
usually, keep walking, keep tieing the plane down, keep loading/unloading
your luggage, etc... No matter what he says, ignore him... You do NOT
answer, not even with a yes or no when he says, "Did you just land in this
airplane?"... You look through him as though he is invisible... He has NO
police powers - none / nada / zippo... He cannot arrest you, he cannot
"take" your airmans certificate or your drivers license, he cannot detain
you, he cannot MAKE you do anything... He simply cannot touch you...He is
just another person in a public area and he has no authority to interfere
with your movements... The only thing he can do is send you a registered
letter detailing the documents he needs to examine and offering to set a
mutually agreeable time and place... Your atttorney knows how to handle
that...

If he were some street bum who wandered in wearing three layers of old
clothes, with a bottle of Mad Dog 20/20 sticking out of his pocket, would
you hand him your certificate? Well, when some bozo flashes an id and
claims to be the right hand of ghod, just mentally picture that id as being
the bottle of Mad Dog 20/20 and you will know how to handle him......

Denny

Old July 24th 03, 09:13 PM
John Galban

"Dennis O'Connor" wrote in message ...
He simply cannot touch you...He is
just another person in a public area and he has no authority to interfere
with your movements... The only thing he can do is send you a registered
letter detailing the documents he needs to examine and offering to set a
mutually agreeable time and place... Your atttorney knows how to handle
that...

According to the regs, you are required to present your certificate
when asked by an FAA rep or law enforcement officer. They do have the
authority to ask for them. You are correct that the FAA guy does not
have the authority to arrest or impede your movements, but if you
don't comply, you've just bought yourself a violation. That's
probably what the registered letter will detail. In the case of
documents that you are not required to carry (like logbooks) the FAA
can send you a letter to arrange for inspection.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old July 24th 03, 09:20 PM
Ron Natalie

"John Galban" wrote in message om...

Good question. Usually when I receive NOTAMs for a flight, they
also include the ones for airports in the general vicinity of my
route.

You're lucky. I find that I rarely even get pertinant notams for my destination even
when I specifically ask for them. The NOTAM system is one of the most screwed
up pieces of (non) automation in the FAA.

Old July 24th 03, 09:21 PM
John Galban

Newps wrote in message .net...
John Galban wrote:

The FAA type is not allowed to take your license (certificate for
you sticklers). He is allowed to inspect it, period. I would never
allow an FAA person to take my cert. If they keep it, they could
easily say you surrendered it, thereby making their job a lot easier.

And even if he did take it then go fly anyways. Right in front of him.
It is such a huge no no for a FSDO inspector to confiscate a
certificate that my local FSDO inspector doesn't believe it would ever
happen. He told me that if any FSDO inspector took your license just go
fly anyways. Make a big deal about it. He said the end result will be
a phone call from the local FSDO manager apologizing profusely.

Newps, I know that what you say sounds logical, but I'd be somewhat
reluctant to take your advice. The FAA is notorious for backing up
the actions of their FSDO inspectors, even when they are in the wrong.
From what I've seen over the years, the likely scenario would have the
FSDO inspectors actions brushed under the carpet, while you go
appealing your way to the NTSB on your violation of the reg that says
you have to have your cert. on your person. You'd probably win
eventually (assuming the "win" means you escaped the violation, but
ended up broke), but personally, I wouldn't risk it. My pockets are
not that deep.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old July 25th 03, 02:23 AM
Newps

JFLEISC wrote:

Yes, but here is a scenerio I was thinking about; [You do get all briefings and
take off in your no-radio classic. Along the way the weather goes bad (yea, I
know, this could never really happen since the FAA weather briefings are so
accurate) so you go way off course and land (for even so much as a rest) at a
nice looking, non-Xed, notamed closed airport. It wasn't remotely in your plan.

I wouldn't worry about it unless you scare some construction worker off
the runway.