Best HD Video Camera for Flight Videos

Old January 1st 13, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig R.

Default Best HD Video Camera for Flight Videos

Where do you get this? My search found some strange results that won't

be useful for wing mounted cameras.

Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

Eric, I believe it is called shape memory polymer. A Google search will bring up many options. Here is an interesting one.

http://trs-new.jpl.nasa.gov/dspace/b.../1/05-0564.pdf
Old January 1st 13, 06:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
akiley

I use a GoPro 2 with remote back. I would recommend the GoPro 3 with built in wifi back. Pro video shooters are very impressed with the quality. If you have an Android phone or an iPhone you can totally control the GoPro and see the image live, which is great for setup and pointing the camera. (6"*delay*tho) This includes starting and stopping the recording, switching from video to still or any setup items like changing the field of view, frames ler second etc. GoPro also has a wrist remote.

They come with waterproof housing which is great for wing mounting.

I use Sony Vegas Pro to edit on a PC, and iMovie to edit on an iPad. I made a suction cup mount from a Ram cup which is supposed to be canopy friendly. To the cup I mounted a tiny ball head for pointing the GoPro. I also use the GoPro cup for wing mounting. Tape down the cup for extra security with wing gap tape. Can't speak for other products. Good luck. ... Aaron
Old January 1st 13, 06:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
cfinn[_2_]

The brand name is Aquaplast. Here's a link you could use:
http://www.wisdomking.com/aquaplast-splinting. You can get it in 18x24
sheets 1/16 or 1/8 inch thick.

Charlie

On Dec 31 2012, 10:27*pm, Eric Greenwell
wrote:
On 12/31/2012 5:26 PM, wrote:

Next Season I will be adding a wing mounted camera, using a suction
cup and a wing cuff made out of a medical plastic called "aqua
plastic."

Where do you get this? My search found some strange results that won't
be useful for wing mounted cameras.

email me)

Old January 1st 13, 10:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I will be ordering from them tomorrow, little hung over today..

http://www.wisdomking.com/aquaplast-splinting

I might take a video of the process and post it if I am successful.

Happy New Year to all

Old January 1st 13, 10:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Tue, 01 Jan 2013 14:06:28 -0800, jmraa757 wrote:

I will be ordering from them tomorrow, little hung over today..

http://www.wisdomking.com/aquaplast-splinting

I might take a video of the process and post it if I am successful.

I've done a little research and have discovered that the generic term for
all these products is 'splinting materials', which are roughly split into
two types of material:

1) "casting tape". This is a knitted synthetic fiberglass fabric
impregnated with a water-activated polyurethane resin. This is dipped in
room temperature water for about 10 secs, squeezed to remove the excess
water and smoothed into position using gloves. It sets in 3-5 mins and,
in the case of a splint is hard enough to be load-bearing in 20 mins.
The tape is 50-100mm wide and seems to come in 2m lengths. Load bearing
structures are typically 3-6 layers thick and load-bearing splints are
recommended to be 4 layers.

2) sheets of solid or perforated thermosetting plastic which are cut to
shape, heated to soften and then moulded around whatever they are meant
to fit. This material is quite a bit more expensive than casting tape.

Confusingly, 'Aquaplast' seems to be the thermoset material rather than
casting tape. Some brand names for casting tape a

- 3M Scotchcast Plus Casting Tapes
- Alto Cast
- Ossur Techform

These are available from medical supply houses and on eBay.

OTOH, you may find its cheaper to pick up some glasscloth, epoxy resin
and a decent release film from your local model store and use these to
make the wing glove from these: you'll need the release film in either
case.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old January 2nd 13, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 1/1/2013 2:51 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:

[...]

The Aquaplast looks great, but I'll stick with the cloth and epoxy, I think.

email me)nyurl.com/yfs7tnz
Old January 2nd 13, 08:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Tue, 01 Jan 2013 19:41:48 -0800, Eric Greenwell wrote:

[...]

That would be my choice too. Three reasons:
(1) I know how to work with glass/epoxy
(2) making a fairly wide glove, 250mm - 300mm, seems like a good idea
(3) the need for a good bond between the glove and the camera mount

(2) and (3) are probably be easier with glass cloth than with either type
of splint material.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old January 2nd 13, 10:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

OK, I must comment. This discussion is missing some important points.

Form factor size, video image quality and mounting flexibility are the key factors.

In my experience (about 6 different video camera designs for sailing, gliding and other sports) the Replay XD 1080 is the best choice for sailplane or aircraft video. The main reason for this conclusion are the very tight spaces we must mount the camera within the tiny sailplane cockpits.

The ReplayXD's pedigree is for advanced racing cars (GoPro was not suitable), motorcycles, advanced motor-sports in general. It has far more mounting options and none of its mounts are cheap plastic like all of the GoPro stuff. Replay XD uses aircraft grade aluminum (weight, strength, quality) even in the mounts. The ReplayXD form factor is purpose designed to be as absolutely SMALL AS POSSIBLE! This is key in a tight sailplane cockpit or on the exterior of the aircraft from an aerodynamic prospective.

The GoPro product is, in my experience and opinion, FAR to wide and tall, especially once finally mounted. The GoPro has takes up a ton of valuable real estate for what it really is (a small video camera with no monitor). Why must it be so large? Answer, it came to market as a cheap Chinese product design roughly 8 years ago. The GoPro owner bought the product from this Chinese developer and has not changed the basic design because he invested heavily in case and mounting accessories designed for the original form factor! This is why the GoPro 3 maintained the same ridiculous miniaturized 35 mm camera shape which makes zero sense for most applications! They chose to maintain that shape in order to allow existing customers to use their existing accessories and to maintain the popular brand image with the GoPro3. GoPro is a company good marketing, but the produce itself is lacking in many ways even after the GoPro 3 upgrade. Skiers or people without small spaces to mount will probably be happy, but a glider pilot needs as much room as possible inside the cockpit and as small of a size as possible when mounted on the skin of the glider in flight!

The ReplayXD is an ultra high quality product, is made out of an aircraft grade aluminum housing and is under 1" in diameter (the size of a large dry erase marker. The electronics are designed to handle intense shock and impact. It does NOT distort the picture with a wide angle fisheye lens. The ReplayXD mounts in less than 1/3 of the area of the GoPro. No need for a waterproof case in your glider last I checked such as the GoPro requires to use its mounts. Ridiculous. The GoPro must be used with its clear housing which is stupid in every way unless you are a diver or kayaker (the Replay has a waterproof case as well if you need it but it is not used normally).

Also, the ReplayXD has massive extended battery accessories. Battery life is easily 6 hours (full flights) and is FAR HIGHER quality in the way the extended external battery's are designed.

GoPro is basically cheap amateur grade old technology with fancy marketing.

ReplayXD is professional grade, ultra high quality components and optics for the same price. With GoPro you are paying for a cheap Chinese product developed 10 years ago with some decent upgrades.

Do your homework before running off to WalMart and buying GoPro. Don't listen to all of the marketing hype of GoPro. You can make great video's on all the latest 1080 camera's There are MANY other choices out there. GoPro is sorta junk in my opinion.

Consider mounting the camera externally. From an aerodynamic prospective you might as well tape a brick on your wing vs. Replay XD which is the size of a large marker and has a tiny frontal area in comparison to the massive GoPro camera shape.

GoPro is simply an ancient product design. The latest refresh brings it up to par optically but overall it is still far off the pace.

ReplayXD Website: http://replayxd.com/cameras/replay-xd1080-camera/
Video I made with my Replay XD Camera: https://vimeo.com/52396659

Sean
F2/7T

PS...they best software for video editing is without question Final Cut Pro on OS. $299. Not even close in terms of ease of use and power. iMovie is probably better than most other software being discussed and that is free or under $20 in the App Store.
Old January 3rd 13, 02:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

On Monday, December 31, 2012 11:11:25 AM UTC-7, KiloKilo wrote:
I'm getting interested in taking some hd videos on XC missions ... is the GoPro Hero 3 considered the best camera for this type of project.

I've also been fooling with a new Video Editor called Power Director ... great app... much better then then older software I had before.

I re-reprocessed a file Evan Ludeman provided ... and I put a re-edited version on you tube. I don't think the base video is HD quality - and I used a stock audio track - but you can see how nice the transitions and other features work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMUGr...ature=youtu.be

KK

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...752970&page=53

Check out the Quad n' Kite video. Much of it shot from an RC Quad.
Old January 3rd 13, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, January 2, 2013 4:41:44 PM UTC-6, Sean F (F2) wrote:
[...]

Sean,
Your all-or-nothing black-and-white approach is getting old regarding categories where a nuanced position is what most people prefer. Go-Pro is junk, your favorite camera is out of this world. Period. Anyone who is challenging your wisdom will have to deal with your wrath. Bet you can't keep quiet about my post here. You are surely entitled to your position but try and keep it civil, please.
Herb (a cheap, amateur grade, old technology guy who fell prey to slick marketing)