Best HD Video Camera for Flight Videos

Old January 3rd 13, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

Default Best HD Video Camera for Flight Videos

Herb,

OK.

Sean
Old January 4th 13, 12:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
KiloKilo[_2_]

Sean,

Very nice video ... and agree (after reviewing all the options mentioned in these posts) that the small sports oriented HD cams are the way to go for gliders ... there do see to be many good options with this small footprint .... appreciate your input - even if it is a little OTT ... :-) ... kk

Also, nice FLARM display in the video ...
Old January 4th 13, 01:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks for the heads up on the Replay XD cam. After surfing to learn more, I found it interesting most reviewers have the same opinion as you and frequently describe the GP as "junk".

So a few questions. What P and FPS were used to film the R4N flight? Are you able to operate the Replay XDs by remote? Will the Replay XD 1080 operate 64 MB microSD cards?

Thanks.

Ben

Old January 4th 13, 02:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

On Friday, January 4, 2013 8:20:33 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Thanks for the heads up on the Replay XD cam. After surfing to learn more, I found it interesting most reviewers have the same opinion as you and frequently describe the GP as "junk".

So a few questions. What P and FPS were used to film the R4N flight? Are you able to operate the Replay XDs by remote? Will the Replay XD 1080 operate 64 MB microSD cards?

Thanks.

Ben

The replay is interesting... but given the number of beautiful, compelling videos and photos shot with GoPro cameras the "junk" comments say something about the "reviewers", yes?

In still photography we say: "Amateurs worry about equipment, pros worry about money, masters worry about light." I'm no master, but I'll prefer a great subject with great lighting to great equipment every time.

If the replay had a 170 degree fov mode, I'd be a lot more interested in it. That's what the GoPro cameras do best, distortion and all.

-Evan Ludeman / T8
Old January 4th 13, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

I have no idea how it would be done but better video of instrument panels would be welcome. Most videos, most of the time, have the panel in shadow so the instruments are not readable.

On Monday, December 31, 2012 11:11:25 AM UTC-7, KiloKilo wrote:
I'm getting interested in taking some hd videos on XC missions ... is the GoPro Hero 3 considered the best camera for this type of project.

I've also been fooling with a new Video Editor called Power Director ... great app... much better then then older software I had before.

I re-reprocessed a file Evan Ludeman provided ... and I put a re-edited version on you tube. I don't think the base video is HD quality - and I used a stock audio track - but you can see how nice the transitions and other features work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMUGr...ature=youtu.be

KK

Old January 5th 13, 01:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

Evan,

I agree there are some times that the 170 FOV GoPro is great. If you have the space there is nothing wrong with the GoPro. And there are other good choices besides the ReplayXD for sure! I have a GoPro2 and use it often especially on boats (water). My ASG29 tail camera video is done with a GoPro and suction cup mount. Amazing almost wingtip to wingtip!

Its all about having fun...I just want everyone to see what else is available!!!

At 960p the Replay can do 135 degrees, which is not that bad. 110 degrees at 1080. My video was shot at 110 which is why I kick the camera a little diagonally.

Specs for Replay 1080 he

Optics F3.1±5% Wide Angle
110.5 Degrees @ 1080P
135 Degrees @ 960P, 720P
135 Degrees @ Photo
1.3V/lux-sec Light Sensitivity

Old January 5th 13, 03:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
akiley

On Friday, January 4, 2013 10:42:15 AM UTC-5, Bill D wrote:
I have no idea how it would be done but better video of instrument panels would be welcome. Most videos, most of the time, have the panel in shadow so the instruments are not readable.

On Monday, December 31, 2012 11:11:25 AM UTC-7, KiloKilo wrote:

I'm getting interested in taking some hd videos on XC missions ... is the GoPro Hero 3 considered the best camera for this type of project.

I've also been fooling with a new Video Editor called Power Director .... great app... much better then then older software I had before.

I re-reprocessed a file Evan Ludeman provided ... and I put a re-edited version on you tube. I don't think the base video is HD quality - and I used a stock audio track - but you can see how nice the transitions and other features work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMUGr...ature=youtu.be

KK

The problem with panels is that they tend to be much darker than the surrounding scene. I've battled with this and find that shooting overcast or low light helps a lot as it reduces the brightness range so everything is more likely to fit into the (every) cameras limited capture range. Also with direct sun, if the sun is lighting the panel directly the shot looks good. When I edit, I often cut the scenes with backlight panel. I've also experimented in the past with graduated filters that darken the top of the image only, but it's difficult to do well. Also made a mask to brighten the panel in my video editor which works but is time consuming. A video camera that could shoot HDR would be the trick. Or video HDR in editing. It will come to the masses eventually.

I think my GoPro2 has really excellent image quality. It's too bad it doesn't have a tripod thread in the bottom like most cameras do. I do not use the GoPro housing for cockpit shots. You can see my suction cup mount in this video. The mount works well because it also holds my bluetooth GPS for XCSoar. The mount is an open box I made out of aluminum with velcro for friction. I can pull the GoPro out quickly in flight and point it out the window for a shot, then quickly slide it back in place in the mount. (I rent gliders only so no permanent mounts)

One nice thing about the wide lens on the GoPro is that when you hold it out the window and point it back at the glider, it looks like it's 6 feet away from the glider and you get a very dramatic shot. (when in reality, it's only arms length) The original GoPro had a horrible menu system. The 2 is not too bad.

This video below was shot with GoPro2. Notice the cockpit cup mount with ball head and BT GPS that you can see when I hold the GoPro out the window and point it back at the glider. BTW: When viewing in youtube, if you don't hit the little gear icon and set the resolution to 1080, it won't look sharp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHSXN...assCENqV2vyryg

Below are some still images. All the shots in the air were shot as stills with the GoPro2 in still shot mode. Pretty impressive quality I think.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/05jfyu7rgfaxec9/kVjWE6L2VG

.... Aaron

Old January 5th 13, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
KiloKilo[_2_]

Very nice video ... what app did you use to capture the google earth sequence ... kk
Old January 5th 13, 02:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
akiley

I have a Canon DSLR (5D) that I used to just shot my computer monitor. (I was in a hurry) There are screen video capture apps that would have been much better. ... Aaron