St Auban or ?

Old December 13th 12, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

Default St Auban or ?

On Thu, 13 Dec 2012 11:17:36 -0800, Charlie Papa wrote:

Here is the text of an account of my viist to St. Auban, which I wrote a
few years ago for Gliding Interntional;

Great write-up! Thanks to posting it.

I've saved a copy for future reference. Maybe in 2014!

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old December 14th 12, 04:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy Clark, \B6\

Thanks to CP and everyone who shared their experiences and suggestions.
Now the planning for the trip begins.

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and, as Herr Weber (of DG) always says,
Always Happy Landings!

Old December 14th 12, 02:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, December 13, 2012 10:42:00 PM UTC-6, Roy Clark, "B6" wrote:
Thanks to CP and everyone who shared their experiences and suggestions.

Now the planning for the trip begins.

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and, as Herr Weber (of DG) always says,

Always Happy Landings!

So glad you quoted Friedel Weber, thanks Roy! He is much beloved in the LS/DG community (or is he?).
Another suggestion that hasn't been mentioned above is Barcelonette in the high French Alps. You are right in the high mountains with skiing opportunities into spring and immediate access to the 'Parcours' and the glacier landscape to the North. Very professional operators when I visited for 2 weeks but that was 12 years ago.
Old December 14th 12, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I have been flying at various sites in Southern France (by the way, Challes-les-Eaux is not part of Southern France...), and maybe some 1500h out of La Motte du Caire. La Motte is a little paradise; however, during July/August it becomes rather crowded. It's a small airfield, and the limit of 25 gliders is rater generous...

For personal reasons, I now fly out of Fayence which is about 20 km north of the Mediterrean Sea (it's close to St-Raphael and about 45 min from Nice airport).
For familiy, that would be the ideal place with beaches close by (both fresh and salt water). Access to the mountains is fairly easy (the house ridge is about 1800m elevation), and in the evening you can fly straight into the field from a point 150 km to the north...
Rather big operation, many international visitors, round the year operation, reasonable fleet from 15m to 25m.
Old December 15th 12, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
akiley

On Friday, December 14, 2012 3:13:26 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I have been flying at various sites in Southern France (by the way, Challes-les-Eaux is not part of Southern France...), and maybe some 1500h out of La Motte du Caire. La Motte is a little paradise; however, during July/August it becomes rather crowded. It's a small airfield, and the limit of 25 gliders is rater generous...

For personal reasons, I now fly out of Fayence which is about 20 km north of the Mediterrean Sea (it's close to St-Raphael and about 45 min from Nice airport).

For familiy, that would be the ideal place with beaches close by (both fresh and salt water). Access to the mountains is fairly easy (the house ridge is about 1800m elevation), and in the evening you can fly straight into the field from a point 150 km to the north...

Rather big operation, many international visitors, round the year operation, reasonable fleet from 15m to 25m.

Anyone know which places might be best for someone how only speaks English? My wife is fluent in German, but that's probably not going to help me, nor will the handful of French songs I learned in grade school. ... Aaron
Old December 15th 12, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer

On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 17:51:20 -0800 (PST), akiley
wrote:

Anyone know which places might be best for someone how only speaks English? My wife is fluent in German, but that's probably not going to help me, nor will the handful of French songs I learned in grade school. ... Aaron

Don't worry - nowadays nearly all French people more or less speak
English, the younger ones are usually close to perfect.

And half of the people you are going to meet on any given airport in
the French Alps are Germans, so I guarantee that you are not going to
have problems with the language there.

Andreas,
more or less fluent in German, English and French. vbg
Old December 15th 12, 08:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Oliver

I'm going to saySt Auban again. English speakers in the office, quite a few
instructors who speak reasonable English, Briefings in English every day.
What more could you want?

Am biased?- Yes I think it's a great place although admittedly not the
cheapest.

Mike

Old December 16th 12, 02:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
akiley

wrote:

Anyone know which places might be best for someone how only speaks

English? My wife is fluent in German, but that's probably not going to

help me, nor will the handful of French songs I learned in grade school.

... Aaron

I wonder what the chances are of being able to solo? For example, I visit for 2 weeks, get an equivalent French pilots license in advance. (if that's how it works and IF it works) Also, I'm a relatively low time glider pilot having flown gliders for 3 seasons and 135 hours. But all in high performance inc some flapped ships. (ASW27) Some mountain/wave, some ridge in Minden and Williams. Also 600 power hours instrument multi. (like that will help)

I noticed you need 250 hours to rent a Duo at Soar Omarama. ... Aaron
Old January 5th 13, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
akiley

Before this thread scolls into oblivion, I just wanted to add a few notes:

I've been trying to figure out ways to learn more about airspace and procedures for a first attempt at soaring in the Provence area. As a non French speaking US citizen, I found this article very helpful. http://www.stauban..8m.com/index.html Is this Pappa Kilo's article?

A second item I discovered is SkyDemon, http://www.skydemon.aero/ , an aviation app that works on several platforms including the iPad and PC. It's an app like WingX, Foreflight, Garmin Pilot, except it also includes Europe. You can try this app free for a month (no affiliation) and with it you see all the European charts, detailed airport diagrams, airspace, NOTAMS, weather. You can measure distances, look at terrain, simulate flights and such. It's sort of difficult and expensive to order paper versions of all this material, so SkyDemon is worth a try out. ...Aaron