A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

SUN GLASSES

Old June 19th 13, 01:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RRK
external usenet poster

Default SUN GLASSES

Skylet Fun is a high quality dip coating for the Carl Zeiss "CLARLET" lens and provides a best level of contrast. Reddish brown with approx. 70% light reduction. 100% UV protection. Ideal for diffuse, hazy light, e.g. flying.. Used by German Gliding National Team. The best stuff on earth.

Old June 19th 13, 05:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)
external usenet poster

Default SUN GLASSES

Costa Del Mar or Revo non polarized!
Old June 23rd 13, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
tstock
external usenet poster

Default SUN GLASSES

On Wednesday, June 12, 2013 3:20:46 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I'm getting new sun glasses, should I get Polarized or not, what works best for flying gliders???

The ones I'm looking at are also anti-glare lenses.

I remember spending big bucks on a prescription pair of polarized sun glasses. They were incredible, I loved them. When I went flying I could see every stress area in my canopy and my GPS screen was almost black.

No more polarized sunglasses for me.
Old June 24th 13, 08:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
akiley
external usenet poster

Default SUN GLASSES

Another option. I wear progressive glasses and I buy Solar Shield clip on, flip up pola sunglasses. (cheap on eBay but UV) Been renting power aircraft for 25 years, and I've rented lots of different gliders. Most of the time I have no noticeable problems. Most pola sun glasses that I've used are set to cut glare on the plane that includes roads, windshield glass and glare shield. Most electronics manufacturers for aircraft and automotive know this so they set the polarizing in their screens to not be effected. But once in a while you can get a total black out. Butterfly? Also hand held navigators like Android phone can be horizontal or vertical. Vertical is only slightly better running XCSoar for me. The flip up is very handy. You can have it both ways. Kind of nerdy looking flipped up, but I'm still married.

I also like what pola does to the sky. Everything is richer and the clouds seem to stand out better. I'm not convinced it's harder to spot other gliders. Pola only cuts glare at limited angles. If you get a flash of sun off a nearby glider It's rarely going to cut that totally out. And there are situations where pola will actually help you see other gliders. Pola makes blue sky darker most of the time which would increase contrast between sky and a white glider. Lastly, pola will cut some reflections in the canopy allowing you to see other gliders better.

Just my 2. Very hard to find non pola clip on, flip ups. ... Aaron
Old August 26th 13, 08:06 PM

First recorded activity by AviationBanter: Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRK View Post
Skylet Fun is a high quality dip coating for the Carl Zeiss "CLARLET" lens and provides a best level of contrast. Reddish brown with approx. 70% light reduction. 100% UV protection. Ideal for diffuse, hazy light, e.g. flying.. Used by German Gliding National Team. The best stuff on earth.
Hi,
I'm thinking about getting a pair of Clarlet Skylet lenses.
Do you think the 70% "Fun" lens is enough, or should I choose the 90% "Sport"?
On the Zeiss website they recommend the "Fun" for gliding and the "Sport" for flying.
Somebody was saying that the "Fun" tint isn't dark enough.
There is also an 80% "Road" lens that is suitable for driving.
Any thoughts on the subject?
Thank's