Help me convince my wife..... :)

Old May 24th 16, 11:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Help me convince my wife..... :)

https://www.facebook.com/hotbikebagg...573243/?type=3

Replace "motorcycle" with "glider".....
Old May 25th 16, 01:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Oscar-Hotel-Mike

A few seconds;

- I REALLY second the safety angle of owning your own ship. Safety is always a PRIMARY concern for my wife.
- I second that a club; won't let you, or limit you, on XC flights - be angry if you break something - won't like you being a "zoomer" (come/go/not-help) - might have expensive fees - forces you flying only a few locales instead of anywhere - might have the "wrong", substandard or missing safety avionics (i.e. xponder, FLARM).
- I second that your glider partner might not want you to take "his" ship for weeks at a time. So you need to figure to go it alone.

One idea is to try the club-only-ship approach for a year. After a year of your wife hearing your repeated complains, she might see the light. Also, keep a spreadsheet of "club" expenses to prove your financial points.

Good luck, John
Old May 25th 16, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks for the tips.

I'm going to try for something simple first. Just bring her over to NH with me to hang out for a day. I'll stay at the foofy bed and breakfast instead of in my inexpensive little RV. I'll send her to the outlet shops when she gets bored.

If I can make that FIRST trip to the glider port go well... I'll see where it leads me.

JP
Old May 25th 16, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
akiley

I also REALLY second the safety factor. (Likely to be a big selling point for wifie). Newer ships have more crash resistant cockpit designs, more spin resistant behavior and are likely to have some kind of anti-collision equipment.

That said, our local club just leased back an ASW-19b. No flarm, but it has a transponder, and a Zaon PCAS. Compared to our STD Cirrus, it has noticeably better fight characteristics. So check out your local clubs and in the unlikely event that it has an '80s ship or better with some anti-collision equipment, then go to plan B and buy something. At our club all our ships are hangered so no assembly required, plus it seems fairly inexpensive. The ASW-19b is our cross country ship. We can sign it out for however long we want and fly as far as we want, not many people are flying it so I have the best of all worlds. If I was a contest flyer, it would be another story. They frown on trailering it off site for a week.

Old May 25th 16, 04:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 10:25:14 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Thanks for the tips.

I'm going to try for something simple first. Just bring her over to NH with me to hang out for a day. I'll stay at the foofy bed and breakfast instead of in my inexpensive little RV. I'll send her to the outlet shops when she gets bored.

If I can make that FIRST trip to the glider port go well... I'll see where it leads me.

JP

If you can't get her to drive retrieve you are better off leaving her home. That you have the ability to pull a pass and get out to the gliderport puts you miles ahead of your contemporaries don't screw it up by dragging the wife along.
Old May 25th 16, 11:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 8:50:58 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 10:25:14 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Thanks for the tips.

I'm going to try for something simple first. Just bring her over to NH with me to hang out for a day. I'll stay at the foofy bed and breakfast instead of in my inexpensive little RV. I'll send her to the outlet shops when she gets bored.

If I can make that FIRST trip to the glider port go well... I'll see where it leads me.

JP

If you can't get her to drive retrieve you are better off leaving her home. That you have the ability to pull a pass and get out to the gliderport puts you miles ahead of your contemporaries don't screw it up by dragging the wife along.

and for God's sake, if you take her with you, DO NOT under any circumstances take her for a ride and make her sick by demonstrating your awesome thermalling skills. She will hate the sport after that...ask me how I know.
Old May 26th 16, 03:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

LOL

no glider rides. she hates to fly. First date I took her on a seaplane ride. she liked me, so she didn't let on how terrified she was. She hates flying MORE now than when we met. She said we've got a pretty good life now, and she has more to live for than back then.

I'm hoping she won't hate it out at the airport. Hauling a trailer doing retrieves isn't likely anytime soon.. I'm hopeful I can eventually get her driving an RV. Baby steps!

JP
Old May 26th 16, 11:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

And if she is your crew when you start going to contests ... don't camp out at a cold windy site like Mifflin in May (where you freeze your butt off and the wind is blowing so hard that your tent is flapping all night) ... stay in a Hotel or B&B ... or she won't crew for you again. Ask me how I know.. KK
Old May 26th 16, 12:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, May 26, 2016 at 6:29:06 AM UTC-4, wrote:
And if she is your crew when you start going to contests ... don't camp out at a cold windy site like Mifflin in May (where you freeze your butt off and the wind is blowing so hard that your tent is flapping all night) ... stay in a Hotel or B&B ... or she won't crew for you again. Ask me how I know. KK

All the wisdom of other's mistakes. Make me laugh.

I have a dream of traveling and working from an RV a few months a year. My wife and I have a beautiful, very secluded house. Taking the dogs along with us is the idea. We currently have 4 'furry kids' so until we pair down the pack, we won't be trying the RV lifestyle.

JP
Old May 26th 16, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Ultimately, the key is having a wife that is comfortable doing "her thing" while you do yours. No matter how you arrange the driving and accommodations, you're going to be in the air for a few hours and she'll be on her own. So make sure she is aware of this and has people to hang out with or a hobby/interest to pursue, during the time you're aloft.

--Noel

Convince me to stick with it . . . Gary G Piloting 22 December 8th 05 03:45 PM
Convince me! Airborne Simulators 0 March 2nd 05 05:13 PM
Convince me! Ace Simulators 0 March 2nd 05 05:13 PM
Convince me! Rubrica Simulators 0 March 2nd 05 05:13 PM
JFK Jr.'s mean ol wife I'm just a zero General Aviation 63 July 15th 03 12:51 PM