Best HD Video Camera for Flight Videos

Old December 31st 12, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
KiloKilo[_2_]

Default Best HD Video Camera for Flight Videos

I'm getting interested in taking some hd videos on XC missions ... is the GoPro Hero 3 considered the best camera for this type of project.

I've also been fooling with a new Video Editor called Power Director ... great app... much better then then older software I had before.

I re-reprocessed a file Evan Ludeman provided ... and I put a re-edited version on you tube. I don't think the base video is HD quality - and I used a stock audio track - but you can see how nice the transitions and other features work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMUGr...ature=youtu.be

KK

Old December 31st 12, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mike

On Monday, December 31, 2012 11:11:25 AM UTC-7, KiloKilo wrote:
I'm getting interested in taking some hd videos on XC missions ... is the GoPro Hero 3 considered the best camera for this type of project.

I've also been fooling with a new Video Editor called Power Director ... great app... much better then then older software I had before.

I re-reprocessed a file Evan Ludeman provided ... and I put a re-edited version on you tube. I don't think the base video is HD quality - and I used a stock audio track - but you can see how nice the transitions and other features work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMUGr...ature=youtu.be

KK

If you have not purchased Power Director yet, try Magix Movie Edit Pro software also. I have both PD and MEP and use the Magix software. For the price I can not think of a better camera than a GoPro Hero 3. I have an older Hero HD and am still happy with it.

Mike
Old December 31st 12, 07:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RAS56 RAS56 is offline
Member

I use a Drift HD camera, suction mounted to the canopy and edit with Adobe Premiere Elements...

The wrist-mounted remote control for the Drift sealed the deal for me...really like being able to start/stop the camera without having to fiddle with it...big buttons on the wrist mount make it easy...

ZAP
Old December 31st 12, 07:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim[_30_]

On Monday, December 31, 2012 1:11:25 PM UTC-5, KiloKilo wrote:
I'm getting interested in taking some hd videos on XC missions ... is the GoPro Hero 3 considered the best camera for this type of project.

I've also been fooling with a new Video Editor called Power Director ... great app... much better then then older software I had before.

I re-reprocessed a file Evan Ludeman provided ... and I put a re-edited version on you tube. I don't think the base video is HD quality - and I used a stock audio track - but you can see how nice the transitions and other features work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMUGr...ature=youtu.be

KK

Ken, I have an older GoPro and love it....I have done a lot of videos with it. Sometimes I hold it in my hand...sometimes I have wing mounted. I can't think of any camera that is more suited to soaring videos....I use Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum for editing....I like it but it has a rather long learning curve.

Some samples of my videos on YouTube here is one with the GoPro on the wing and inside I had the pocket camera

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHn0j...n-wFgw&index=3

Here is one where I just held the GoPro in my hand in the UltraLite flight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KhXd...xbuIxYL5n-wFgw

My advice is get the GoPro...you will love it

Jim

most of those are shot using the GoPro but some I used a small handheld pocket camera that I bought a couple years before the GoPro
Old December 31st 12, 09:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve

On Monday, December 31, 2012 12:11:25 PM UTC-6, KiloKilo wrote:
I'm getting interested in taking some hd videos on XC missions ... is the GoPro Hero 3 considered the best camera for this type of project.

I've also been fooling with a new Video Editor called Power Director ... great app... much better then then older software I had before.

I re-reprocessed a file Evan Ludeman provided ... and I put a re-edited version on you tube. I don't think the base video is HD quality - and I used a stock audio track - but you can see how nice the transitions and other features work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMUGr...ature=youtu.be

KK

Hi KK,

I've been using a Contour HD camera for 3 years and have been very happy with the results. The usual comparisons are with GoPro and one of my main reasons for favoring the Contour is the size and shape. I use iMovie for editing and it's very easy. This month I purchased the new Contour +2. Better HD quality and the feature I've been waiting for: the ability to control the camera from my smart phone (iPhone 4) using Bluetooth. Really slick. I am looking forward to the season ahead to put both cameras to work.
Here are a couple of samples from my Vimeo site.

Steve
SV

https://vimeo.com/35264746
https://vimeo.com/29320454
Old January 1st 13, 12:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris

mike wrote:

For the price I can not think of a better camera than a GoPro Hero 3. I
have an older Hero HD and am still happy with it.

What I can add for the GoPro: we had a wing mounted GoPro, and the surface
of the wing was not smooth at the mount point. So during a winch launch it
droped from 400m (1300 ft). We found it laying in the grass near the winch
two days later, completely undamaged. So much for robustness...
Old January 1st 13, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, December 31, 2012 12:11:25 PM UTC-6, KiloKilo wrote:
I'm getting interested in taking some hd videos on XC missions ... is the GoPro Hero 3 considered the best camera for this type of project.

I've also been fooling with a new Video Editor called Power Director ... great app... much better then then older software I had before.

I re-reprocessed a file Evan Ludeman provided ... and I put a re-edited version on you tube. I don't think the base video is HD quality - and I used a stock audio track - but you can see how nice the transitions and other features work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMUGr...ature=youtu.be

KK

I have a GoPro Hero HD and love it. Simply start the camera rolling before takeoff and let it run. However, if you plan on turning the camera on and off during the flight then you probably want to get the new Hero2 or Hero3 with the remote capability. It can be a bit "fiddly" to start and stop the Hero HD. The Hero2 and 3 have remote control options either with a dedicated remote control or smartphone control that allow much easier camera control. Plus, you can check the video feed in real time to be sure the camera is mounted level, pointed the way you want it, etc.

And, of course, the quality of the video from the whole GoPro line is superb.

Robert
Old January 1st 13, 01:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Drift HD cameras hands down.
The new ones have remote with light indicators to remind you if your recording or not.
I have got several videos posted to youtube, just look up my name, Justin Rizor.

Next Season I will be adding a wing mounted camera, using a suction cup and a wing cuff made out of a medical plastic called "aqua plastic." You just heat the sheet of plastic to 160deg in water, then drape over the surface you want, it cures slowly and hard. I know about this product as my broken thumb has a splint made out of the stuff right now.
Any question feel free to contact me thru youtube.

The editing software is where my learning curves needs to begin.
Good luck

Old January 1st 13, 11:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
KiloKilo[_2_]

Thank you all for your responses and links ... lots of nice videos out there. I hope to add a few of my own.

HNY ... fly safe in 2013.

kk