Gelcoat care

Old October 30th 13, 01:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy

Default Gelcoat care

What is the best way to prolong gelcoat life?

I have a friend that says that waxing, polishing is only good for the
pilot, does almost nothing for the gelcoat.

I really don't know much about this issue.
Would it make sense to cut a bit off like .002 every once in a while to
stop/prevent any crazing? Then wax it?

Does Gelcoat off gas over time and then start going bad?

Seeing how very little time most ships are out in the sun, a lot of them
look rough. Sailboats sit outside 24/7 and can look good for many years.
Whats up? Should I be parking my LS3a in a Marina?

Do nothing or try and work on the gelcoat to attempt to get the longest
life out of it; or something in between?

If Gelcoat does off gas, and kind of dries out and cracks,would it make
sense during the winter lay up to cover the gelcoat with a coat of wax, to
seal it, and then buff it off come spring?

Old October 30th 13, 02:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Galloway[_1_]

Here is a good technical article. The two component process
mentioned in the article refers the Wx Seal and Wx Block.

http://www.wingsandwheels.com/Weather%20Block%20Tech.h
tm

John Galloway

Old October 30th 13, 04:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech

On Wednesday, October 30, 2013 10:20:11 AM UTC-4, John Galloway wrote:
Here is a good technical article. The two component process

mentioned in the article refers the Wx Seal and Wx Block.

http://www.wingsandwheels.com/Weather%20Block%20Tech.h

I have read testimony from other pilots here that this stuff works but this
still does not explain why (massive) fiberglass boats, which probably never get
waxed, don't crack. Is it because they don't flex?
I have a friend with an old ASW-19 in which the wings are really crazed but
the fuselage is not.
Old October 30th 13, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy

Searching the archives I found a long 2003 RAS thread about Gelcoat. It was
a good discussion involving several top people.
What I got out of it was, there is not much a owner can do about Gelcoat
life. Some real experts advise not to wax as it may keep any water vapor [
? ] trapped in the Gelcoat and that could cause problems. They say you
want it to be able to breathe to some extent.
Other experts swear waxing is good for the surface and waxing will
discourage yellowing and fading.
Why sailboats look good after many years seem to come from the fact that
when they come out of the mold they are not worked on further, the
Gelcoat surface is left intact, while gliders come out of the molds and
there is a lot of work to be done to them, aggressive sanding to the
Gelcoat seems to open minute cracks that can propagate, it seems, says the
experts.
Me? I'm going to continue to wax. Makes me feel good. I like the smell.
Makes me feel like I'm trying to make a effort to keep the refinish man
away for as long as possible.

Old October 30th 13, 08:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_2_]

On Wednesday, October 30, 2013 10:59:24 AM UTC-7, dogger wrote:
[...]

Boats survive better in harsher conditions because they use better gelcoat than the German sailplanes do. This has mostly to do with certification requirements for anything "new". Tends to reduce innovation in that area. It's such a pity to pay top dollar for new glider with a finish that we all know won't last more than 15 years.
Craig
Old October 30th 13, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, October 30, 2013 3:45:26 PM UTC-5, Craig Funston wrote:
[...]

I suggest the difference to boats is due to the structural differences between the two. Boats use polyester based resins as the matrix between the glass fibers, all glider structure is based on an epoxy resins. Gel-coat is a polyester resin that seems to like the same as a base over which it is applied. Bonding between epoxy and polyester polymers is more difficult because of the chemical and physical(expansion coefficient?) differences.
Old October 30th 13, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HGXC[_2_]

On Wednesday, October 30, 2013 4:45:26 PM UTC-4, Craig Funston wrote:
[...]

15 years? I know of many gliders that look great after 30. I own one! I think the answer has more to do with the weight and finish. BTW I see many boats with gelcoat that would make a glider owner cry but on a boat it not a big deal. Not many boat owners stare down and whip every inch of their hulls every time they use them.
Old October 30th 13, 09:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathon May

At 21:03 30 October 2013, wrote:
On Wednesday, October 30, 2013 3:45:26 PM UTC-5, Craig Funston wrote:
On Wednesday, October 30, 2013 10:59:24 AM UTC-7, dogger wrote:
=20
[...]

=
the
=20
=20

=20
experts.

=20
=20

=20
Me? I'm going to continue to wax. Makes me feel good. I like the

smell=
..
=20
=20

=20
[...]

The initial problem is resin shrinkage ,which leaves the mat proud ,so you

either sand the gell down or fill the hollows with wax
I heard the top European pilots were having there asg29's back to the works

after 2 seasons to maintain the Finnish
I used to hard wax but my current ship were had painted new .

Old October 31st 13, 03:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
akiley

I though researched showed that waxing was not especially good for the performance of the wing. I recall testing associated with deturbulator tape, included findings of a wing surface sheen effecting performance. Various means of removing some of the sheen increased performance. Anyone??

.... Aaron
Old October 31st 13, 02:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mike

On Wednesday, October 30, 2013 7:32:14 AM UTC-6, dogger wrote:
What is the best way to prolong gelcoat life?

I have a friend that says that waxing, polishing is only good for the

pilot, does almost nothing for the gelcoat.

I really don't know much about this issue.

Would it make sense to cut a bit off like .002 every once in a while to

stop/prevent any crazing? Then wax it?

Does Gelcoat off gas over time and then start going bad?

Seeing how very little time most ships are out in the sun, a lot of them

look rough. Sailboats sit outside 24/7 and can look good for many years.

Whats up? Should I be parking my LS3a in a Marina?

Do nothing or try and work on the gelcoat to attempt to get the longest

life out of it; or something in between?

If Gelcoat does off gas, and kind of dries out and cracks,would it make

sense during the winter lay up to cover the gelcoat with a coat of wax, to

seal it, and then buff it off come spring?

I painted a sailplane several years ago and did a fair amount or research before actually applying the paint. My paint guys told me that sanding the finish actually allows for a more rapid (UV) degradation of the surface as the resin the encapsulates the pigment has been compromised. Waxing does slow the process down. I think that this would also apply to Gelcoat. The more completely a wax would seal the sanded surfaces would be more beneficial, and wax using nano technology such as WX Seal and Block would be closer to the ideal. Other waxes also are now advertising Nano technology. Whether or not they are as effective as the WX products may be open to discussion.

Canopy Care Guy[_7_] Soaring 15 March 25th 10 04:50 AM
Any ex-zoomies out there care to comment? Stewart Kissel Soaring 2 April 14th 05 06:02 PM
VA Health Care Steve Mellenthin Military Aviation 0 August 19th 04 05:45 PM
New Paint Care Suggestions Nathan Young Owning 11 July 11th 04 11:24 PM
I don't care what harrison Ford says Tony Ryan Piloting 17 March 29th 04 10:21 AM