Selecting landout airports

Old May 26th 16, 01:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
akiley

Default Selecting landout airports

I'm a member of a club that has marginal trailers for our ships. Because of this, and the multitude of small airports in our area, I usually just airport hop for cross country flights. We also have unpredictable landout options because 90% of the fields seem to be corn, which at the wrong time of the year are dangerous. So I'm looking for land and tow out airports

I'm mapping out good airports in various directions but have some questions:

1. In a standard class ship what might be the narrowest runway for landing when there are runway edge lights?

2. What about for an unassisted tow from (how narrow with runway lights)

3. Will a wing runner make much of a difference on a narrow strip

4. Turf/grass v asphalt, is one easier than the other given runway edge lights?

It's all about clipping a light.

I've also noticed from satellite views that there is often a grass parallel area located at many asphalt strips, but no way of knowing if these are landable.
Old May 26th 16, 02:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

Free advice notwithstanding, there's no substitute for *current*
feet-on-the-ground airport information. As for "hard numbers"...

On 5/26/2016 6:52 AM, akiley wrote:
I'm a member of a club that has marginal trailers for our ships. Because
of this, and the multitude of small airports in our area, I usually just
airport hop for cross country flights. We also have unpredictable landout
options because 90% of the fields seem to be corn, which at the wrong time
of the year are dangerous. So I'm looking for land and tow out airports

I'm mapping out good airports in various directions but have some
questions:

1. In a standard class ship what might be the narrowest runway for landing
when there are runway edge lights?

Will prolly depend (a lot!) on your "acceptable crosswind component. That
said, if the lights/runway-edge-markers are lower than wings-roughly-level
taxi-height, then arguably they won't matter, and, if a veer is in your
future, it may be possible to do so while holding the critical wing above the
obstacle. It's been done...
- - - - - -

2. What about for an unassisted tow from (how narrow with runway lights)

Will almost certainly be affected by whether you've a nose or CG-only hook,
and X-wind again, not to mention tug grunt and how "tuned in" might be your
tug pilot...
- - - - - -

3. Will a wing runner make much of a difference on a narrow strip

Quite possibly...and in both the "good" and "bad" senses. Ad-hoc education is
good!
- - - - - -

4. Turf/grass v asphalt, is one easier than the other given runway edge
lights?

In crosswinds, directionally speaking, asphalt tends to "bite" while grass
tends to "slide." Asphalt will likely have better braking, though turf may
well have considerably more wheel drag...meaning predicting rollout length
isn't a hard science. Don't overlook "grass height" when it comes to assessing
turf acceptability.
- - - - - -

It's all about clipping a light.

I've also noticed from satellite views that there is often a grass parallel
area located at many asphalt strips, but no way of knowing if these are
landable.

Again, there's no substitute for feet-on-the-ground knollich...wet spring days
can be good for obtaining it. Be very wary about accepting others'
assessments, particularly if power-only types, no matter how well intended.

In all seriousness, this sort of stuff/planning/self-education is part of the
great fun of doing XC. Enjoy your journey!

Bob W.
Old May 26th 16, 02:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Spend a weekend fixing trailers. You'll be a lot more comfortable going xc then.
Old May 26th 16, 02:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Thursday, May 26, 2016 at 3:52:49 PM UTC+3, akiley wrote:
[...]

If a place is developed enough to have runway lights then you might well be better off landing on a taxiway, run up area etc!
Old May 26th 16, 02:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Thursday, May 26, 2016 at 9:31:45 AM UTC-4, Bruce Hoult wrote:
On Thursday, May 26, 2016 at 3:52:49 PM UTC+3, akiley wrote:
I'm a member of a club that has marginal trailers for our ships. Because of this, and the multitude of small airports in our area, I usually just airport hop for cross country flights. We also have unpredictable landout options because 90% of the fields seem to be corn, which at the wrong time of the year are dangerous. So I'm looking for land and tow out airports

3. Will a wing runner make much of a difference on a narrow strip

for 3, "JJ Wing Runners" are a good investment. https://www.cumulus-soaring.com/jj.htm .

Dan
Old May 26th 16, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Keeping the wings level until stopped is the way to avoid clipping a
light. That, and maintaining runway center. I once landed out at a
small country airport with lights spaced 54' apart in an LS-6a (15
meter), stopped on center line before the wing dropped. Practice that
and you'll have no worries.

Grass is less abrasive than pavement but can be bumpy and very slippery,
especially when wet.

--
Dan, 5J

Old May 26th 16, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Unless intended for landings, the grass may very well be a drainage.
Depending upon depth, your wing tip(s) may drag the ground before your
wheel touches down. I will always take the pavement at an airport
unless I know for certain that grass is intended for landing.

Old May 26th 16, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
akiley

Great advice. I'm planning to fly power and inspect some of the airports in question. Both the ships I fly are standard class CG hook.

Generally the paved strips I'm considering (with edge lights) are 72' wide to 75' wide. Considering runway lights are at least a few feet beyond the runway edge, it seem 75' would work pretty well, even if a wing dropped before I came to a complete stop. Seems you have to have at least the center line, or hold wings level till a complete stop in this situation.

Aerotow with our Pawnee, unassisted seems like a more difficult proposition based on above runway. But with the JJ wing runner, or a human wing runner, maybe it's ok. Our STD Cirrus really likes to drop a wing unexpectedly pre 30kts or so. Another subject, but I think I need to get better at using both aileron AND rudder to counter this. Aileron only doesn't usually cut it. I worry that if I apply full rudder it's going to make the ship veer off to one side.
Old May 26th 16, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Practice unassisted TO's at your home field.
Slight cross angle of the glider to the runway, tip on the ground. Say you angle right a bit, put the left tip down (keep in mind any crosswind) such that it's drag on the ground aligns you as you accelerate. Part dive brakes can help with flow over the ailerons in the first hundred feet or so. Don't forget to close and lock the dive brakes.
Old May 26th 16, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

On Thursday, 26 May 2016 09:44:39 UTC-6, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
Practice unassisted TO's at your home field.
Slight cross angle of the glider to the runway, tip on the ground. Say you angle right a bit, put the left tip down (keep in mind any crosswind) such that it's drag on the ground aligns you as you accelerate. Part dive brakes can help with flow over the ailerons in the first hundred feet or so. Don't forget to close and lock the dive brakes.

When I self launch, wheels on the wings assist this, the tow plane will stand on the brakes for 15 or seconds and create prop wash that helps with lifting the down wing and getting wind over the wings.

YEMV

selecting wheels and tyres jan olieslagers[_2_] Home Built 4 March 11th 10 08:47 AM
Another Cherokee II Landout [email protected] Soaring 2 September 22nd 08 04:36 AM
Dry Lake Landout Hal[_2_] Soaring 1 July 9th 07 09:23 PM
U.S. & ISRAEL SELECTING TARGETS FOR CRUISE MISSILE FIRST-STRIKE ATTACK dontcowerfromthetruth Naval Aviation 7 August 8th 06 02:22 PM
Landout Laws Charles Petersen Soaring 90 February 26th 04 02:09 AM