Panel/Glare shield paint...

Old January 5th 20, 12:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Panel/Glare shield paint...

Rather than a question, this is more of a solution...

While I had attempted to match the color of my SH glider glare shield in the past, I was never willing to send off my glare shield to do a proper color match. As such my attempt was close, but it was noticeable if you were paying attention.

I recently was able to send off a sample to the folks at myperfectcolor and they did come up with a color that is much closer to a match of the Nextel paint that SH uses on their panels and glare shields.

Disclaimer, I have no financial interest in myperfectcolor.

I had them name the color "Schempp-Hirth Nexel".

I ordered 2 cans of it in their "Hedrix Fast Dry Acrylic Enamel Spray Paint" and painted a couple of 3D printed parts with it this past week. Below is a link to a picture I took yesterday of the 2 parts on top of my glare shield.

http://daziv.com/nextel/img_4294.jpg

If you look carefully, you'll notice that the color on my compass is a different shade than the other parts. This was my prior attempt. The 2 parts in the foreground are a much closer match.

https://www.myperfectcolor.com/en/pr...el-Spray-Paint

Mark

Old January 5th 20, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

https://www.myperfectcolor.com/en/pr...2_Hedrix-Fast-

Dry-Acrylic-Enamel-Spray-Paint

Mark

Useful to have... Thanks..

RO

Old January 5th 20, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

Based on the solution, I'd like to ask a question. Why an earth people use any other paint then the exact same Nextel Schempp and others use? I mean, it's a very expensive toy, and you will stare at your panel a foot away every time you fly it. Are you sure panel paint is the best place to save some money or effort?
Old January 5th 20, 06:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Sunday, January 5, 2020 at 12:13:07 PM UTC-5, krasw wrote:
Based on the solution, I'd like to ask a question. Why an earth people use any other paint then the exact same Nextel Schempp and others use? I mean, it's a very expensive toy, and you will stare at your panel a foot away every time you fly it. Are you sure panel paint is the best place to save some money or effort?

Well, I will tell you why. Nextel unfortunately reflects on a canopy quite badly. Yes, it should not reflect according to the manufacturer, but it does. My next glider will not have Nextel paint.
Old January 5th 20, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

On Sunday, January 5, 2020 at 12:52:37 PM UTC-6, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
On Sunday, January 5, 2020 at 12:13:07 PM UTC-5, krasw wrote:
Based on the solution, I'd like to ask a question. Why an earth people use any other paint then the exact same Nextel Schempp and others use? I mean, it's a very expensive toy, and you will stare at your panel a foot away every time you fly it. Are you sure panel paint is the best place to save some money or effort?

Well, I will tell you why. Nextel unfortunately reflects on a canopy quite badly. Yes, it should not reflect according to the manufacturer, but it does. My next glider will not have Nextel paint.

For that reason I bought this:

https://www.culturehustleusa.com/pro...t-art-material

and I am quite happy with the result. I find any reflections on the canopy very annoying, especially when watching videos taken in flight.
Old January 6th 20, 03:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Tom BravoMike wrote on 1/5/2020 11:13 AM:
[...]

I haven't tried that. I use black velour on the glare shield, oriented to show the
least reflection. Excellent, but slowly degrades in sunlight, and I replace it
every few years. Some fabric lasts much longer than others.

Old January 6th 20, 04:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Behm

On Sunday, January 5, 2020 at 7:56:10 PM UTC-8, Eric Greenwell wrote:
[...]

Wouldn't an old-school wrinkle-finish paint in flat black work and not give a reflection?

Regards,
TB1

Old January 6th 20, 04:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Chris Behm wrote on 1/5/2020 8:06 PM:
[...]

Also, I've never seen a flat black anything that is a black as black velour or
velvet; also, I can keep the glare shield "original", perhaps making selling it
(eventually) easier

Old January 6th 20, 08:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ludovic[_2_]

Hi

Interesting.
What's the original Nextel reference of your paint ?

Mine is B21 - Dark Anthracite.

http://www.nextel-coating.com/b21-73...rk-anthracite/

Regards,
Ludovic

Glare shield solar cel N2 Soaring 4 March 19th 12 09:08 PM
Ventus B Glare Shield wanted - US gemerson Soaring 1 October 2nd 09 05:24 PM
Best paint or treatment for glare reduction? Frank[_1_] Soaring 5 July 19th 07 01:19 AM
Cessna Glare Shield Cover Al Gilson Owning 4 March 21st 06 03:04 AM
need advice with composite for making glare shield bubba Home Built 1 July 7th 04 05:44 AM