Mechanics of Elevator Trim. In Detail.

Old June 8th 08, 06:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Le Chaud Lapin

Default Mechanics of Elevator Trim. In Detail.

Hi All,

This post is primarily directed toward student pilots like myself.

First, I am not asking because I want to know the answer (I already
know), but do a little experiment. I have maybe 7 or 8 different
sources of flight information that I rely on for ground school
(Jeppesen, FAA Handbooks, etc), and none of them said _how_ it worked
in sufficient detail, they only said what one must do to make the
plane pitch up or downard.

So for you students, please do not cheat and do what I did, which is
watch the airfoils move as you move the trim control. Also, it would
help if you did not think about the correct answer too much, which
would lead you to the correct answer, thereby defeating the purpose of
my experiment.

So, without cheating, and without asking an experienced pilot or
mechanic,...

What exactly happens when the trim is adjusted to point the nose
upward?

The more specific your answer about the mechanics on airfoil outside
the plane, the better.

And remember, no cheating!

Also, for experienced pilots that know the answer, please do not ruin
it by telling everyone before any answers have been given, though if
you are not certain of the answer and would like to speculate, that's
fine.

-Le Chaud Lapin-
Old June 8th 08, 10:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
WingFlaps

On Jun 8, 5:08*pm, Le Chaud Lapin wrote:
[...]

Well, since you frame it as a troll:
You scare the lift faries to run forward by waving a very nasty bit of
metal at them.

YAWN
Cheers

Old June 8th 08, 10:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Le Chaud Lapin wrote in news:426e092d-74b7-4668-
:

[...]

Good grief. Have you checked your room for solvents?

Bertie
Old June 8th 08, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Le Chaud Lapin" wrote in message
Hi All,

This post is primarily directed toward student pilots like myself.

First, I am not asking because I want to know the answer (I already
know), but do a little experiment. I have maybe 7 or 8 different
sources of flight information that I rely on for ground school
(Jeppesen, FAA Handbooks, etc), and none of them said _how_ it worked
in sufficient detail, they only said what one must do to make the
plane pitch up or downard.

Probably because there are several different ways to make it work -

I assume you are most familiar with the use of a servo tab. Can you name at
least two other ways that it is commonly done in light aircraft?

But it is good to understand how the aircraft systems work (and what can go
wrong) - so continue on with the discussion...

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old June 8th 08, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jun 7, 10:08*pm, Le Chaud Lapin wrote:

What exactly happens when the trim is adjusted to point the nose
upward?

What type of plane is this for? I have a Mooney and also fly a 182.
Both trim system are very, very different.

-Robert

Old June 8th 08, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Le Chaud Lapin

On Jun 8, 11:07*am, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:
On Jun 7, 10:08*pm, Le Chaud Lapin wrote:

What exactly happens when the trim is adjusted to point the nose
upward?

What type of plane is this for? I have a Mooney and also fly a 182.
Both trim system are very, very different.

For sake of those of us who only own MSFS, let's say a C172.

-Le Chaud Lapin-
Old June 8th 08, 06:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

On Jun 7, 11:08 pm, Le Chaud Lapin wrote:
[...]

Guess you missed this thread:

http://groups.google.ca/group/rec.av...ravel&lnk=ol&#

Dan
Old June 8th 08, 06:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Le Chaud Lapin

On Jun 8, 11:05*am, "Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" The Sea Hawk At Wow Way
D0t C0m wrote:
"Le Chaud Lapin" wrote in ...

Hi All,

This post is primarily directed toward student pilots like myself.

First, I am not asking because I want to know the answer (I already
know), but do a little experiment. *I have maybe 7 or 8 different
sources of flight information that I rely on for ground school
(Jeppesen, FAA Handbooks, etc), and none of them said _how_ it worked
in sufficient detail, they only said what one must do to make the
plane pitch up or downard.

Probably because there are several different ways to make it work -

I assume you are most familiar with the use of a servo tab. Can you name at
least two other ways that it is commonly done in light aircraft?

Nope.

But it is good to understand how the aircraft systems work (and what can go
wrong) - so continue on with the discussion...

Also, for the record, my assumption of what was going on with elevator
was invalid. The Jeppesen Private Pilot mentions the servo tab, and
technically, they do say what it does, but very briefly, so if student
is not paying attention, s/he might miss it.

-Le Chaud Lapin-
Old June 8th 08, 06:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Le Chaud Lapin

On Jun 8, 12:21*pm, wrote:
On Jun 7, 11:08 pm, Le Chaud Lapin wrote:
Also, for experienced pilots that know the answer, please do not ruin
it by telling everyone before any answers have been given, though if
you are not certain of the answer and would like to speculate, that's
fine.

-Le Chaud Lapin-

* *Guess you missed this thread:

http://groups.google.ca/group/rec.av...wse_thread/thr...

Did indeed.

Just glad that the answer is not laid-out in first few posts.

For students that are reading this, don't cheat by reading that
thread!

There is no point in giving your answer if you look it up first.

-Le Chaud Lapin-

F-100 detail Pjmac35 Aviation Photos 0 July 26th 07 10:29 AM
Finding "Neutral" Position on Piper Elevator/Trim Tab [email protected] Owning 10 December 7th 06 02:43 PM
Detail pops in too late in FS2004 CatharticF1 Simulators 0 August 27th 03 03:25 AM